Pop Vs. Soda

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Pop Vs. Soda

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:37 pm

What do you say? I used to say 'pop' but I was totally peer-pressured out of it in college.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:44 pm

I like saying soda (there's something so rustic about it!) but people invariably laugh when I do. Pop is probably the most common in these parts, but Coke is a close second.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:35 pm

Why is New Mexico so effed up??

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 pm

I have no doubt this was accurate in 2003, but I really think that the internet has changed things. Seattle is still pop territory, but I know I'm saying soda more, as are the people around me.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Flyn wrote:I have no doubt this was accurate in 2003, but I really think that the internet has changed things. Seattle is still pop territory, but I know I'm saying soda more, as are the people around me.

I had no idea the internet was so influential on this topic!

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:34 pm

junker347 wrote:Why is New Mexico so effed up??

Too many reasons to count.

Oh, wait. You meant why is New Mexico so f'ed up specifically with regard to the whole soda/pop/coke/other debate. I think there must've been a tectonic shift in terminology between March 1, 2003 (the conclusion of this study) and August 2?, 2004 (when I got here). I've never heard anyone (other than obnoxious Texans polluting my fair city) refer to carbonated soft drink beverages using the generic "coke" term (I'm in the red rectangle roughly in the center of the state). I think pop is probably the prevalent term, but I usually drink water (or beer :) so I'm not really sure, as I hear soda sometimes too.

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:52 am

Because I'm cheap and buy generic, I stopped saying "soda",
and now say "cola"...
Down southeast way, a lot of people in the green areas say "R.C."
I'm guessing that the green areas in Illinois say "Orange Whip"???

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:37 pm

I have no doubt this was accurate in 2003, but I really think that the internet has changed things. Seattle is still pop territory, but I know I'm saying soda more, as are the people around me.

I agree. My cohorts and I (in Seattle) definitely use "soda" more often. I know I switched over when I got tired of everyone pointing out my midwestern accent when pronouncing "pop" with a nasally "a"...

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:34 pm

leigh wrote:

I agree. My cohorts and I (in Seattle) definitely use "soda" more often. I know I switched over when I got tired of everyone pointing out my midwestern accent when pronouncing "pop" with a nasally "a"...

i'm going to have to agree on this switch in seattle as well. i don't know if it's having a boyfriend from "soda" infested southern california, but i'm almost completely on the "soda" bandwagon after growing up with pop. i realize it's really a lot more accurate, and does have a nice vintage-y ring to it.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:02 pm

Leigh, were did you put the nasally 'a' in pop? I've got the nasal a, but i don't think I use it in 'pop'.

I had assumed soda in college, thinking it sounded more sophisticated. But I think I'm going back to my 'pop' roots. It sounds so cute to me now.

Let's have a pop.

Also, I like how Hawaii is so uniform, and Alaska is such an extreme patchwork of terms, as if each county was trying to defy its neighbors.

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:00 pm

Leigh, were did you put the nasally 'a' in pop? I've got the nasal a, but i don't think I use it in 'pop'.

The nasal "a" is in place of the "o." Ugly-sounding, I know. It's pretty much the accent depicted in the old "Da Bears" sketches on SNL, but even though I grew up near Chicago, I didn't adopt the "o" --> pinched nosed "a" until after living in Madison, WiscAnsin for grad school.

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Anyone else familiar with this sodapop? While other kids fought over pepsi and coke, my favorite was red!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:21 pm

leigh wrote:

The nasal "a" is in place of the "o." Ugly-sounding, I know. It's pretty much the accent depicted in the old "Da Bears" sketches on SNL, but even though I grew up near Chicago, I didn't adopt the "o" --> pinched nosed "a" until after living in Madison, WiscAnsin for grad school.

Hmmm. Considering I grew up in the Beverly neighborhood of chi, ground zero for the Da Bears accent, I probably do this too, but can't hear it. I was surprised to hear I even had an accent in college.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 am

leigh wrote:Anyone else familiar with this sodapop? While other kids fought over pepsi and coke, my favorite was red!

You can get Faygo at Ezell's Chicken; I'm not sure if the Puget Sound Juggalos get it there, or have it shipped in, but it's nice to have options other than Mountain Dew.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 pm

oddly enough, they sold it at the polyclinic deli the last time i checked. just orange and purple, though, i think.

Return to “Cattywampus”