Happy Birthday to our favourite Librarian!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Happy Birthday to our favourite Librarian!

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:39 am

Happy birthday Lies'! Hope you're having a great one! What are you doing to celebrate?

galleta
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:12 am
Location: galletaland
Contact:

Postby galleta » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 am

I was visiting the board to post my happy birthday too!

Happy birthday Liesbeth!

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:54 am

Sweet! An excuse to have one of those Dutch cakes! Or really, why stop at one?

Let's also have pop! Spiked with whiskey. And a dance party! And a guitar hero contast at h4ck's house since he has a gillion video game systems.

Happy Birthday!

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:11 am

How many video game systems does he have? I have an Xbox 360, original Xbox, Playstation 2, two Playstation 1s, two N64s, a SNES and a DS. Not to mention a PC. And screw Guitar Hero -- Rock Band is where it's at these days! I've been playing it lots this past week!

Harvey Winters
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:38 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Somewhere on the map from "Time Bandits"
Contact:

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 am

Happy B-day Lies'!!!
From all the peeps at that "other board"...

I didn't have time for a cake, but I hope you like these:

Image

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 am

That looks vicious delicious.

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:32 am

sour29 wrote:How many video game systems does he have? I have an Xbox 360, original Xbox, Playstation 2, two Playstation 1s, two N64s, a SNES and a DS. Not to mention a PC. And screw Guitar Hero -- Rock Band is where it's at these days! I've been playing it lots this past week!


Ok, I was just going by the Buying-Things thread. I don't actually know anything about video games. I do, however, like to support Guitar Hero, as EA Games is in Iowa City, which needs our love. And, really, isn't Rock Band the giant corporate copycat that competes only because of it's massive marketing budget?

Anyway, Birthday Party!

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:39 am

Wait, hold on -- you don't consider EA, the leader of sports-based video games for as many years as I can remember (ie. at least 16) a giant corporation with a massive marketing budget? ;)

Anyway, Birthday Party indeed! :D

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:43 am

Haha, well see, I don't know anything about video games. Especially sports based ones. I just have a friend who programs for Guitar Hero and he sees it differently. But really, they were first, so the size of thier marketing budget doesn't matter as it isn't being used to sell a copycat, you know? It's the PRINCIPLE of it. *shrugs*

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:49 am

Wait ... EA makes Rock Band. Activision makes Guitar Hero. Which makes the whole argument even more confusing.

But really, if nothing was ever improved upon because someone else invented it first, what kind of world would we be living in? Your programming friend needs to grow up. ;)

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 pm

sour29 wrote: Your programming friend needs to grow up. ;)


That is a completely unreasonable thing to say.

I could be wrong about which companies, blahblahwhocares, but please. Why do you have to be such a pickle in Liesbeth's birthday thread? I really don't see the point.

Ok, no video games at this party. We'll just have to interact with booze as our only social crutch.

User avatar
Flyn
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Ballard
Contact:

Postby Flyn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Happy Birthday Liesbeth!

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm

thanks, you guys. I spent a quiet evening at home watching a detective with Amanda Burton (including a pretty unlikely dutch detective character) and the left over strawberry muffins - which turned out okay, but are a bit on the sweet side, next time I'll stick to the classic berry recipe. Party next week when my husband has his birthday. He got me a dictionary of English word combinations at my own request, which is absolutely great.

I have absolutely no clue about video games, I pretty much gave up 25 years ago after I didn't understand Donkey Kong (this shows my age, I know). But by no means let that interrupt a good discussion.

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Betty Felon wrote:That is a completely unreasonable thing to say.
I respectfully disagree. I know it's your friend, but complaining because someone took a good idea and made it better is ridiculous. After all, Guitar Hero just copied Dance Dance Revolution. So Rock Band improved upon the formula started by a game which improved upon the formula that was started by yet another game. Complaining someone ripped off your idea when your idea was ripped off someone else to begin with just seems extremely childish to me.

It would be like John Walker getting mad at the guy who invented the lighter because all he did is improve on the idea of matches ... but the idea of friction to create fire was hardly a new invention to begin with, you know what I mean?

It's not meant to be personal, and I can hardly characterize a person I haven't met ... but yeah. I think I made my point.

Sounds like a nice birthday, Lies'. As mentioned elsewhere in recent days, I love strawberries and those muffins sound delectable. What kind of combinations can be found in that dictionary?

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:42 pm

sour29 wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:That is a completely unreasonable thing to say.
I respectfully disagree. I know it's your friend, but complaining because someone took a good idea and made it better is ridiculous. After all, Guitar Hero just copied Dance Dance Revolution. So Rock Band improved upon the formula started by a game which improved upon the formula that was started by yet another game. Complaining someone ripped off your idea when your idea was ripped off someone else to begin with just seems extremely childish to me.


Ugh. Please. My point was that you were being rude. To me. I'm not interested in arguing about this, but there was no reason to call anyone childish. Your point about innovation, while not wrong, is irrelevent. I said nothing of the sort. Seriously, I hate it when you get like this. stop.

Harvey Winters
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:38 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Somewhere on the map from "Time Bandits"
Contact:

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:45 pm

All those games mentioned ripped off Simon

Image
Winner!!!

Continue with the birthday festivities!!!

User avatar
No You Are
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:53 pm
Current Heading: North
Location: Rochester, MinneSOta
Contact:

Postby No You Are » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:54 am

Happy Day-After Birthday!!!

User avatar
the new girl
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:19 pm
Location: back in ABQ... :(
Contact:

Postby the new girl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Happy slightly belated birthday!

Enjoy the big double bday shindig next week!


Return to “Cattywampus”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests