Hipsters: The End of Western Civilization

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Hipsters: The End of Western Civilization

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Pretty decent AdBusters article:

http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

"An artificial appropriation of different styles from different eras, the hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture lost in the superficiality of its past and unable to create any new meaning. Not only is it unsustainable, it is suicidal. While previous youth movements have challenged the dysfunction and decadence of their elders, today we have the “hipster” – a youth subculture that mirrors the doomed shallowness of mainstream society. "

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:52 am

1. What constitutes a "hipster"?

2. How did disco kids or flappers challenge " the decadence and dysfunction of their elders"?

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 pm

1.) Duh. It's undefinable. That why it's such a great pejorative term.

2.) These kids today, with their Pabst and footless tights and fake eyeglasses, what is the world coming to?!

Though, I think the article kind of has a point though. The internet has certainly made shows easier to know about/get to, if you hear a wisp of a rumor about a band you can listen to them on myspace, everybody knows what's cool immediately, and it's all documented on the internet the next day, etc. Social currency with crazy inflation, ne?

Also, this:

"The dance floor at a hipster party looks like it should be surrounded by quotation marks. While punk, disco and hip hop all had immersive, intimate and energetic dance styles that liberated the dancer from his/her mental states – be it the head-spinning b-boy or violent thrashings of a live punk show – the hipster has more of a joke dance. A faux shrug shuffle that mocks the very idea of dancing or, at its best, illustrates a non-committal fear of expression typified in a weird twitch/ironic twist. The dancers are too self-aware to let themselves feel any form of liberation; they shuffle along, shrugging themselves into oblivion."

Flappers too!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Hipster culture IS all appropriation, which is boring, but I don't quite buy that every other 20th century youth movement was a Marxist dialectic.

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:30 am

My favorite 20th century youth movement was the Cultural Revolution, although that was a tad Marxist...

*Looks for red book*
Last edited by Harvey Winters on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:55 pm

I would like to defensively* restate that I wear footless tights because I wore them the first time around. That said, I am well aware of the egregious fashion violations that they hath wrought.

*another landmark trait of hipsterism, the defensive rejoinder!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:34 pm

I want to hear someone defend the fake eyeglasses.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:49 pm

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

*Squiddy anger*

Nothing irks me like fake eyeglasses. Those of us who used to get teased on the playground don't appreciate you trying to join our Legion of Astigmatized Honor. Poser.

*shakes fist*

Return to “Cattywampus”