The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

User avatar
Squid
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:52 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby Squid » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all the little Yankee Winters. And to those who love us.

I really wish you people lived closer to me. I made WAY too many candied yams this year.

I am thankful for what's left of my common sense, mimosas at any hour, good friends such as yerselves, loved ones who have passed that I feel with me all the time, bbq grilled steaks, books about the history of uranium, squids with elbows and last but definitely not least: our President Elect. It's a new day, y'all!

ps: I just used a British character in my subject heading about an American Holiday, and I don't care! woot! I'm crazy...

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:43 am

I'm gonna confess that for a while I thought that it was special that I'm gonna see Fred Eaglesmith tonight on Thanksgiving, until I realized he is Canadian. Duh. What holidays does Canada have? A maple festival perhaps?

Happy T-day, y'all, don't eat too much and hopefully you'll be in the company of those you want to share your thanks with.

ps Squid: I didn't do a search but I think you make too many yams every year!

User avatar
icapants
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Postby icapants » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:42 am

Liesbeth wrote:I'm gonna confess that for a while I thought that it was special that I'm gonna see Fred Eaglesmith tonight on Thanksgiving, until I realized he is Canadian. Duh. What holidays does Canada have? A maple festival perhaps?



Canada has their Thanksgiving in October. I don't really know what it's about.


When the President of my company, who is British, wished me a Happy Thanksgiving, I said "you too." I really wanted to ask him if he was going to celebrate, you know - when in Rome and all that, but he quickly ran away. I think he was tired of being around the little people.

User avatar
LoveSickJerk
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:02 pm
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Buffalo, NY et al.
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:30 am

Hey, happy Thanksgiving to ya'll as well!

I'm pretty thankful for my noise reducing headphones, pretzels, my family and all ye olde loved ones, Stephen Colbert's Holiday Special, whiskey and soda, books on the occult, and The French Connection.

I hope everyone had enough to eat!

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby sour29 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Canada has their Thanksgiving in October. I don't really know what it's about.
All I know is that is has NOTHING to do with Indians.

And that I get to eat turkey and stuffing until my eyes bleed.

A Brutaful Smile
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA (sorta)

Re:

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 am

icapants wrote:Canada has their Thanksgiving in October. I don't really know what it's about.


you are in luck! i'm engaged to a canadian. canada's thanksgiving is basically the same as ours just at a different time of year. they have the same dinner and all the traditions, etc, etc. only difference is that they don't call native americans "native americans" or "indians", they call them "first nation's people".

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:02 am

them poor turkeys aren't safe anywhere on the continent, are they?

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby sour29 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:26 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote:
icapants wrote:Canada has their Thanksgiving in October. I don't really know what it's about.


you are in luck! i'm engaged to a canadian. canada's thanksgiving is basically the same as ours just at a different time of year. they have the same dinner and all the traditions, etc, etc. only difference is that they don't call native americans "native americans" or "indians", they call them "first nation's people".

Consulting Wikipedia, you'll note that although the customs are the same, the Canadian one in fact has nothing to do with "First Nation's People". ;)

A Brutaful Smile
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA (sorta)

Re: Re:

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:20 am

sour29 wrote:
A Brutaful Smile wrote:
icapants wrote:Canada has their Thanksgiving in October. I don't really know what it's about.


you are in luck! i'm engaged to a canadian. canada's thanksgiving is basically the same as ours just at a different time of year. they have the same dinner and all the traditions, etc, etc. only difference is that they don't call native americans "native americans" or "indians", they call them "first nation's people".

Consulting Wikipedia, you'll note that although the customs are the same, the Canadian one in fact has nothing to do with "First Nation's People". ;)


i consulted it too, after the fact obviously, and you are right, but it turned out i was too. canada's thanksgiving is the same as the u.s. although where the u.s. turned it into a "pilgrams and indians" story, canada kept their's about celebrating the harvest. (we watched a story on the whole thing and i'm all about how ripped off we are in history class. the mayflower trip and "thanksgiving" did not go down anything like what i was taught. i'm annoyed.)

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby sour29 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:17 pm

Yay! We both win.

And I know what you mean. I was shocked to find out Thanksgiving had nothing to do with a big Pilgrim/"First Nations People" hoedown.

User avatar
Unremarkable
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am
Current Heading: East
Location: Kennewick?

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:34 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:Hey, happy Thanksgiving to ya'll as well!

I'm pretty thankful for my noise reducing headphones, pretzels, my family and all ye olde loved ones, Stephen Colbert's Holiday Special, whiskey and soda, books on the occult, and The French Connection.

I hope everyone had enough to eat!


Ah, The French Connection...It's been too long Joseph!

User avatar
Squid
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:52 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby Squid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Ahem. If I have to stay awake - then you do too.

Happy T-day, Yanquis! I'm still cooking because one of my friends is crazy enough to get married the day after Thanksgiving which means I spent all day shopping for an appropriate frock. I know you think that because I am a LADY*, I have many frocks already. But alas, this was not the case.

So during a brief interlude in the Candied Yam-o-rama, I thought I'd check in.

I'm thankful for brown sugar, friends who get it, beautiful newly discovered b&w photos of my grandparents, the dive bar across the street that is BUMPIN' the drunkaoake right now, and of course YOU, darling. xoxo.




*I can HEAR you snickering, you know.

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:10 pm

If I'm snickering because you say you're A LADY, it's because I've watchedLittle Britain too much. Now there you have frocks.

Other than that, it gives me a very warm feeling when it's that time of year again when Squid checks in on the board in the middle of doing her thing with yams.

Happy t-day to all who celebrate, and have a good party tomorrow, Squiddles.

User avatar
No You Are
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:53 pm
Current Heading: North
Location: Rochester, MinneSOta
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby No You Are » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Hosted first Thanksgiving because I figured travel with 2 wee winters would be difficult. However, forgot that hosting means cooking the dinner, so that was lots o work. However, I have watched enough Top Chef to have the confidence to tackle the Turkey Day meal, and it went swimmingly.

All that said, I still have TONS of turkey left over, so if anybody wants some...

User avatar
Squid
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:52 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby Squid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Greetings, dudes. Bet you know what I'M doing!

Yup. Almost done with the Infamous Candied Yamz of Yore. Amusingly, I misplaced my potato masher, so I'm having to do these by hand. Hello, Carpal Tunnel!

I should note that I'm having the best time cooking tonight because I'm tuned into KEXP listening to the wonderful DJ El Toro. He is the bees knees and you should listen to him whenever he is on. He's already played Heaven 17 and Brian Eno and Squeeze and the New York Dolls and David Bazan and NOW HE IS PLAYING X OMG.

Back to the kitchen!

User avatar
grant
wears the boots
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:16 am
Current Heading: West
Location: peninsular america
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby grant » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:43 am

Burmese Pumpkin Basil Soup:

  • Three garlic cloves, coarsely chopped.
  • A glug oil (peanut is best; any will do)
  • One pumpkin (or four or five butternut squashes), peeled, seeded, cubed.
  • Four cups stock (I've used vegetable bouillon or chicken stock interchangeably)
  • 1/2 cup basil (preferably that small-leaved purplish Thai basil), chopped.
  • Salt & pepper to taste.


Put the oil in a large pot, heat it up and stir fry the garlic for five minutes - very fragrant, starting to go golden.

Chuck in the pumpkin. Stare at it for a second. Then add the stock.

Bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes until the pumpkin's soft. Then puree the whole mess in a blender, sprinkle a little salt & pepper, then slap it back in the pot. Keep it warm. Just before serving, add the basil.

EASY. If your relatives give you trouble over the non-Americanness of it, take the "Burmese" off the name and they will never know.

And if you're like me, you'll save the seeds, clean 'em while this is simmering, then stick 'em in a tray with a little water, salt and five-spice powder, put 'em in a 400-degree oven for 15 or 20 minutes, till they start to go brown. Snack on 'em while pureeing or chopping basil. Or serve as hors d'oeuvres.

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:33 am

grant wrote:Chuck in the pumpkin. Stare at it for a second. Then add the stock.

This is recipe poetry.

Happy T-day, folks.

User avatar
grant
wears the boots
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:16 am
Current Heading: West
Location: peninsular america
Contact:

Re: The Ballad of Mr. Creosote (aka Happy Thanksgiving)

Postby grant » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 pm

You're very kind .


Return to “Cattywampus”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests