I love this time of year

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

I love this time of year

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:34 pm

just got sent out of the living room by my husband because he needed me out the way to prepare his St. Nicholas gift. Of course, not many of you are celebrating St. Nicholas this Friday, but I'm telling you, at 38 I'm still excited about the secrecy of this whole thing, and the deliberate dropping of hints and such.

anyone still putting up stockings and not afraid to come out of the closet about it?

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: I love this time of year

Postby sour29 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Um, yeah -- absolutely. Stockings = gifts, and gifts = awesome.

It's getting harder and harder to buy for other people, though!

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 am

i need to know what st.nicholas is. never heard of that one.

we have spent the last week in x-mas decorating chaos. i started off full force last weekend, but when monday came and had to go back to work i was exhausted so i have only been doing a little here and there each night. it'll all be finished this weeekend tho and we will be able to walk around the house freely again.

i've been with the same person for over 5 years now and realized there is something to that whole breaking up and dating others. you don't run out of gift ideas. i have found myself for the last month going "well i can.....nope, did that already. i could....no, bought that for him for valentine's day.....dammit!"
i need stocking stuffer ideas for a 31 year old kid.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:17 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

My husband and I do the surprises thing, which means you craft something that is significant about the other person and hide your present in it, then make a poem explaining the significance, casually throwing in some embarrassments or annoying habits of the past year. My favourite surprise ever is this Kenny my husband made for me including a coffin in which I was meant to bury him after unpacking the gift that was hidden in it. I kept Kenny, ditched the coffin.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:20 pm

December 6 is the Feast Day of Saint Nicholas on the Catholic Calendar of Saints.

It's generally only observed in a few places in Europe, with macabre pickles* and angry demons, and you probably think I'm making that up.

But I'm not.

*the ornament is contested, but the stories and chorales aren't.

EDIT TO ADD: Obviously, dead children are a sort of ongoing theme. (See previous post.)

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 am

Well, I might be in some Xmas decoration trouble. Big new house + watching little girl all day + early snow and cold = "Adventurous" Xmas Decorating

Basically, I still gotta get some lights up and it is cold and snowy and the place is bigger than I have ever had to work with. Do I wait for a potential thaw and risk it just getting worse? Or do I just wait for Claire to take a nap and go for it?

At some point I fully expect to slip on some ice, go flying off the roof, and break my everything. But at least the house will look festive.

See y'all in the emergency room, eh?

leigh

Postby leigh » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 pm

At some point I fully expect to slip on some ice

I actually miss this aspect of the midwest...I loved mother nature reminding me who was in charge by knocking me onto my ass! I also miss that eerie silence after a decent amount of snowfall.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:26 am

I found some solar powered Xmas lights over the weekend. SCORE!!! No extension chords, no paid-for power, no hassle.

Still haven't ventured up to the roof yet. Lots of ice still. But on the bright side, neither of my hips are broken yet.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 am

good to hear you're still alive and walking

St.Nicolaas gave me 207,000 words, phrases and meanings, 88,000 examples pronounced, 1 million additional sentences + a chocolate letter. All but the chocolate letter fits in one big book with cd-rom. It's called a dictionary. Great invention! I would recommend giving it to everyone, but maybe not to everyone's taste. If not, you could give an encyclopedia. Or a cookbook. Any book wider than two inches will do.

Return to “Cattywampus”