Green with envy...

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

call me stupid

Green with envy...

Post by call me stupid »

when I read the letters John has put in the cover of The Worst You Can Do Is Harm I love the fact that he would do that, for whaterver reasons he chose. I don't know if this has been discussed on the board yet....
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

They're a little harsh...

CANNONBALL IT!
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

They ARE a little harsh.

I included those letters because I felt like the songs were telling a story, and it was my side of the story. Here I was making an album of music that said, in a nutshell, that relationships are lonely places full of sad people looking out the window instead of at each other, and I realized at a certain point that I had a shoebox full of letters from people saying, "I'm right here and have been all along and now I'm leaving and kiss my ass!"

They're in the artwork because they felt, really, like part of the same project. I wrote most of the songs rather than write letters back, although I didn't think of it that way until later. I can assure you that the letter writers were not as "there" as they claim, but our relationships weren't crime scenes either. Somewhere in between. Those songs and those letters are a slice of what life felt like for some of us a few years ago, and we're not that different from everybody.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

What I very much dig is how differently arty each of the letters are. In their own ways. Handwriting to type to mimeograph. Nice even when I'm not squinting to pick out the words.
omphale

Post by omphale »

meg wrote:What I very much dig is how differently arty each of the letters are. In their own ways. Handwriting to type to mimeograph. Nice even when I'm not squinting to pick out the words.

I agree. The visual effect definitely echoes the content.

Call me stupid: I'm curious; what specifically about the letters makes you "green with envy"?
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

omphale wrote:
meg wrote:What I very much dig is how differently arty each of the letters are. In their own ways. Handwriting to type to mimeograph. Nice even when I'm not squinting to pick out the words.

I agree. The visual effect definitely echoes the content.

Call me stupid: I'm curious; what specifically about the letters makes you "green with envy"?

Well, after reading John's post, I now know why he added the letters. My first reaction, however, was that he had put the letters in there just to show these women he made it. I didn't think he was gloating, more or less just making sure they noticed he made it, because some of the stuff those women wrote was a little harsh.

The reason I was(am) "green with envy", is simply because I can think of a few girls who if I had recorded my own CD, I wouldn't mind publishing some of the stuff they wrote me. Basically, I thought he put them in, kind of to say "HA!", cause that's what I would like to do....call me immature or call me bitter(or just call me stupid....sorry bad joke), but I guess that's just me.

After all that babble, did that make sense?
omphale

Post by omphale »

Hm. Does it make sense (to me)? I think so. I think you're saying that you're envious of the fact that John's gotten to a point where he's made good in a way that anyone who might've ever told him (in one fashion or another) that he wasn't any good couldn't possibly ignore. And the letters are just making it a bit more pointed than just the songs might have been.

My reaction was more of gut-wrenching empathy. I once had a letter written to me by someone I had been very close to which accused me of just writing a poem every time I felt anything difficult, and that I wasn't worth knowing because I was 'unmoveable'. So, how did I respond to that? Yeah. I wrote a poem, and published it in a chap-book and made sure said person got a copy.

'Course, I'm not as bold as John; I didn't include the other person's letter. I prefer that people only hear my side of the story whenever possible. Come on, you don't trust my version?? Those other people are all delusional, clearly...
; )
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Well, the first thing to remember is that no one writes an angry letter to someone that they don't care about.

The second thing is that those letter writers all had a point. Or many points. They weren't just ripping me out of spite, they all had a message to deliver. They were sad and frustrated but took the time to spell it out. So I would never want to get them back for anything because they were trying, each in her way, to teach me something.

Thirdly, the things they were upset about all had to do with my lack of attentiveness, consideration, dutifulness, emotional openness, willingness, etc. These are complaints that women seem to have about men generally, (and by including those letters I wasn't copping to being guilty), but I don't think any amount of 'success', creative or otherwise, would answer a charge of being unable to love.

And finally, the only people I still really want to impress are my high school friends that went to ivy league colleges, those bastards, but I doubt they read Magnet magazine.
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

I guess I'm still on a lower maturity level then most, such as John. I'll admit it. But then again, I'm 20 and in college, so that might explain a little. The thought of publishing some of the stuff girls have written me still makes me snicker.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

John wrote: These are complaints that women seem to have about men generally...

men are the apple juice that ladies fly into for a taste, but we always just end up drowning.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Well if you are just going in "for a taste," of course you are gonna end up with some very bad surprises.
omphale

Post by omphale »

John wrote:but I don't think any amount of 'success', creative or otherwise, would answer a charge of being unable to love.

...except, perhaps, successfully loving?
miss michaela dee

twist the knife, baby. i like it when you hurt me.

Post by miss michaela dee »

God, whenever I read those letters it totally rips my heart out -- it's true, you don't write a letter if you don't care, and the raw emotion in some of them is so telling. Especially when, in your own life, you've been on both sides of the equation -- when you've screamed at someone for being emotionally distant, etc. -- or when you've been on the receving end of the screaming. ...and then listening to the songs -- well, let's just say that you've got a lot of the human condition right there, in one fucking awesome package.

There comes a point, dear Call Me Stupid, when this kind of thing won't make you snicker. Really.