Bonnaroo Help

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Bonnaroo Help

Postby No You Are » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:49 am

So, heading to Bonnaroo next week, and after reviewing the schedule I have a few conflicts....

Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Santogold or Grizzly Bear?
Bon Iver or Rafael Saadiq?
Of Montreal or Jenny Lewis?
The Decemberists or Elvis Costello or The Mars Volta?
TEd Leo and the Rx or Citizen Cope?

Full Disclosure... I did see the Decemberists in KC last week, and while they were awesome, I figure I should see something else there.

John
King God, Mang

Re: Bonnaroo Help

Postby John » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:46 pm

The only help I can offer is that Citizen Cope is a turd-pile.

Chunkaway

Postby Chunkaway » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I went to the Sasquatch Festival this year (and last) so I think I can speak about a couple of these bands.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs were a helluva lot of fun, so I'd go with them.

Bon Iver was okay, but nothing outstanding. I have never seen Rafael, so I can't speak about him/her/it.

Jenny Lewis in a heartbeat, but I'm not a fan of Of Montreal.

The Decemberists were AWFUL at Sasquatch. They did this rock opera thing that was so damn boring, it was painful. Mars Volta was unlistenable last year, but supposedly their new album is much different. For my money, it's hard to beat Elvis Costello.

Ted Leo in a heartbeat. Rx or Citizen Cope? Really, this shouldn't be very difficult.

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:49 pm

I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA (billed as San Francisco, ha) a couple years back and they weren't that great live. I don't like their new stuff much, either. Of course, I don't even know the other two, so default to Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Rafaael Saadiq might put on a good live show, but I cannot say for certain. I like his music in principle, but I can never stomach it for long. Never seen nor really heard much of Bon Iver.

I would go see Jenny Lewis just to swoon. Yeah, I know, I'm a walking indie boy cliche. Get it out of your system now.

Sadly, I have fallen out of love with The Decemberists and the direction they have taken with their music. So, just for sheer coolness of it all, you have to go see Elvis Costello.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists should never be a question, especially when their competition is Citizen Cope. I saw Citizen Cope at Bumbershoot once and I almost fell asleep. Ted'll rock your face off.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:16 am

I love the 'rock opera' Decemberists, but cannot really picture it at a festival. Can't wait to see a Hazards of Love live show at a club though. I've never seen Elvis Costello live, but I think it might be perfect for a festival.

Saw Ted Leo live once and it was a total riot. In a good way.

Have fun!

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:44 pm

Whoa man... its been 48 hours since the end of Bonnaroo and I still am the most tired ever.

Bests
Ted Leo rocks everybodys face off
Public Enemy plays Nation of Millions in full (then retires the material forever)
Phoenix was phenomenal
Ridrigo y Gabriela
Girl Talk 2 am dance party
MGMT
Shara Worden's voice bringing everyone walking past This Tent to a halt

Worsts
Leaving Of Montreal early to try and catch Jenny Lewis, but a schedule misread gets us just her last song
The Boss playing nine songs before getting to one I had heard of
Flight schedules in the group forcing us to leave before Okkervil River and Band of Horses
MAssive rains starting the minute we start putting up our tent
The last 8 minutes of Galactics 15-minute trombone solo
Being nine miles back from the stage for Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Return to “Cattywampus”