Suggestions please - what to do with a 5-hour overlay....

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Suggestions please - what to do with a 5-hour overlay....

Postby Moni » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:02 am

... at an airport?

I looked for Emus but they had all gone to Canada.

One good advice you might wanna pass on to your loved ones one day:

Do not drink alcohol on an airplane.

Especially if the flight is 8 hours long.

I feel very YUK right now

huck

Postby huck » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:45 pm

i love airports. i used to take the bus to the airport a lot when i was an undergrad and just camp out there for an afternoon to study and watch people. sea-tac used to have all these huge sectional couch thingies that were perfect for this, although now with all the security stuff, they don't encourage loitering quite so much around there (and, of course, you can't get into the terminals anymore either). but many interesting things happen in airports -- all you gotta do is sit down and start paying attention.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:38 pm

Many years ago I had a couple hours to kill at Sea-Tac, early in the morning, and as I was prowling around the deserted concourse I spied a little plastic dime-bag of pot that someone had dropped on the floor. This was back when you could smoke in airports. It was also back when I smoked both cigarettes and pot. In fact, it was all the way back when I would smoke pot that I found on the floor of an airport.

Anyway, I didn't have any papers so I slit a cigarette up the side and dumped the tabacco out and rolled a little joint and smoked it in that couch-lined 'relaxation' area. Properly relaxed, I proceded to enjoy the three warm Hienekens I brought in my carry-on luggage. By the time I boarded the little puddle-jumper to Spokane I was so small I could have fit in the overhead compartment.

Take that, Dept. of Homeland Security!

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:58 pm

Most sizable airports will have secrets that a little wandering around will uncover.

In Miami International, for instance, there are not only two Cuban restaurants and a juice bar, but also, on the top floor of the airport hotel (inside the airport itself) a pool, sauna and steamroom. Those who are not guests are supposed to pay a nominal fee ($5? $15?) for access, but it's possible to bluff your way past the employees, if you're dressed appropriately. Luggage lockers are useful for this.

In Dallas/Ft.Worth, there's a multidenominational prayer room. It has Buddhist scriptures, a copy of the Koran in English and a copy of the Bible in Apache, if I recall correctly. The last time I was there, a Muslim from Indonesia or Malaysia came in, opened a brilliantly colored prayer rug (it may have been batik, and certainly didn't look Arabic), checked his compass, and began praying towards Mecca.

There's a famous sex shop in the Frankfurt airport. Less said about that, the better.

Singapore, however, might be the best airport of all. It features a free monorail tour of the city. You don't even have to go through immigration. Just hop on the train and see everything spread out below you. I believe it lasts an hour, but could be mistaken.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:30 pm

In a large Texas airport I once killed time by scouring for things that people had left behind in waiting areas. This was something I could only do because I was (a) flat out of my mind bored and (b) taking a late-afternoon flight, before the cleaning crews had been around. My greatest find was a large bag of airport gift shop goodies--about five magnets with armadillos on them, six bars of wrapped, smelly glycerine soap, a hardcover book about small towns and the Lord (or something), a cowboy coloring book, and a copy of the Houston Chronicle. I kept two bars of the soap and gave away three. The magnets are still on my refrigerator. I did not take the hardcover, but I did place it on a chair upside down and open as though it had been left by someone who was halfway through.

My only other suggestion is to do a lot of walking. Especially if you're in Pittsburgh and there are those wonderful moving walkways to slide on.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:37 pm

Airports are really emo.

mildlyrestarted

north carolina is for hustlers

Postby mildlyrestarted » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:38 am

charlotte, north carolina's airport has great wooden rocking chairs strategically placed in front of windows. perfect for waiting and thinking and generally pretending you're sitting out on your porch. it's so north carolina. i love it. you can still smoke there too!

... and so begins my love affair with the south ...

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:59 am

After all those posts I was thinking someone should publish a book about Airports and What To Do There When You Are Stranded There For A Freaking Nine Hours.
That'd be neat.

That said, my layover was in Frankfurt, but I didn't see the sex shop. Actually I've been to Frankfurt Airport about 20 times and I never saw it. There must be something wrong with me.

SeaTac is cool. First time I got there I felt stoned even without having smoked anything. It was like Whee this is cool, all those colorful signs now where the hell am I and where the frick am I supposed to go this is all so WEIRD.

omphale

Postby omphale » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:49 am

Well, not that this is in any way helpful (especially since you're obviously done with the layover!) But I once had a 4 hour layover in Chicago from 8am to noon with my two insanely overly energetic boy-children. We did lots of running and gliding with the luggage cart, ate lots of nasty food from the food court, and caused much unrest by acting out scenes from 'Singing In The Rain' and 'Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone' in deserted gates.

I think a book of layover stories would be really fun to write. Anybody else gonna jump on that or can I lay claim to it?

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:07 pm

omphale wrote:
I think a book of layover stories would be really fun to write. Anybody else gonna jump on that or can I lay claim to it?

Nah, you can have it. My great idea is to make a collection of amusing messages written on the walls of bathroom stalls, complete with addresses. It'd be a great coffee table book.

omphale

Postby omphale » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:34 am

Unremarkable wrote:[

Nah, you can have it. My great idea is to make a collection of amusing messages written on the walls of bathroom stalls, complete with addresses. It'd be a great coffee table book.[/quote]

Yeah, except that most of the things that get written on bathroom walls are completely idiotic soapboxing by people who are of sub-average intellegince, can't spell, and have no idea what they're talking about. I guess if this amuses you...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:58 pm

omphale wrote:Yeah, except that most of the things that get written on bathroom walls are completely idiotic soapboxing by people who are of sub-average intellegince, can't spell, and have no idea what they're talking about. I guess if this amuses you...

Yes, but those are the kinds of people who would buy it! There's pleanty of them out there...

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:01 pm

Unremarkable wrote:Yes, but those are the kinds of people who would buy it! There's pleanty of them out there...

Well, I'm going to take your idea and change it, "Names and Phrases Craved into Toilets" and I will make the millions!

omphale

"craved"?

Postby omphale » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:08 pm

Did you mean 'carved'? 'craved into' is an interesting concept, though...

Wait, what you should do is actually carve the stuff into toilets. Like in the bowls. That would be a badass installation piece.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:37 pm

no, of course not, carved, that's just stupid.

No, people actually carve or "tag" their name ("logos") on to many-o-toilet bowls here. Why, only yesterday, I had the pleasure of urinating on "SL1CKST E\/A," why anyone thought that it makes complete sense to carve their name into a toilet bowls, so you can have people piss all over your name, something that SHOULD be made into a book if you ask me.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:40 pm

omphale wrote:Yeah, except that most of the things that get written on bathroom walls are completely idiotic soapboxing by people who are of sub-average intellegince, can't spell, and have no idea what they're talking about. I guess if this amuses you...

i saw the best in a bathroom stall in Portland when i saw TLW last weekend. it said "bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity". i thought 'that is great...i have to remember that.'

jen

Postby jen » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:04 am

grant wrote:Singapore, however, might be the best airport of all. It features a free monorail tour of the city. You don't even have to go through immigration. Just hop on the train and see everything spread out below you. I believe it lasts an hour, but could be mistaken.

Singapore airport might be good during the day, but in the middle of the night when I was there everything was shut. It's a little unnerving because the place is so big. So at three am, all these transit passengers are wandering aimlessly. It kind of gives the feeling that you trapped in a mall.

I saw Bill Cosby, and the old guy from M.A.S.H, at an airport once.

omphale

Postby omphale » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:16 pm

BladeRunner wrote:
No, people actually carve or "tag" their name ("logos") on to many-o-toilet bowls here. ...

... why anyone thought that it makes complete sense to carve their name into a toilet bowls, so you can have people piss all over your name, something that SHOULD be made into a book if you ask me.

Actually IN the toilet bowls. Huh. This I have not seen. The psychology behind that is a bit mystifying.

I still think it would make a good installation piece...all these toilets with the refuse of people's minds written in the bowls...

But, hey, rock on with your book idea, bladerunner. I'm going to abandon this seriously off-topic line of rambling now...

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:00 am

Liz wrote:After all those posts I was thinking someone should publish a book about Airports and What To Do There When You Are Stranded There For A Freaking Nine Hours.
That'd be neat.

Didn't Dave Barry write one? He should've.

There used to be a website....

Actually I think this is what I was thinking of -- Sleeping in Airports. Not quite the same, but still.

Liz wrote:That said, my layover was in Frankfurt, but I didn't see the sex shop. Actually I've been to Frankfurt Airport about 20 times and I never saw it. There must be something wrong with me.

Could they have closed it?
No, I refuse to believe that.

According to airwise.com, it's in Hall A. And according to the the second message on this forum it's in Departures. I have no way of knowing if this makes sense -- it's been ages since I've been there.

jen wrote: Singapore airport might be good during the day, but in the middle of the night when I was there everything was shut. It's a little unnerving because the place is so big. So at three am, all these transit passengers are wandering aimlessly. It kind of gives the feeling that you trapped in a mall.

The whole city gives you that feeling, actually. Lovely currency, lovely satay, nice cemetary, a bit all the same otherwise.

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:42 pm

lol john!

my flight storie s are uneventful, except when the stweard gave us a WHOLE BAG OF.. PEANUTS!! like not just one package but like 10 of em. fuk the alarms are going off and its LOUD LOUD LOUD!!!

Return to “Cattywampus”