is there snow where you are?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

is there snow where you are?

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Good morning! I should be on my way to work right now, but there's too much snow to cycle (I don't easily say this, but this time it's really true) and buses aren't very reliable, if running at all. So instead I'm posting here, while I try to decide if it's worthwhile trying to make my way through.

I can't remember seeing this much snow in the Netherlands since I was a kid!

John
King God, Mang

Re: is there snow where you are?

Postby John » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:54 am

I love snow in the Netherlands. It makes Sinter Klaas happy, too.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:08 am

The ol' Blackberry says it's snowing outside, but I don't see anything through the 3/4s closed blinds on my window. I'm sure it's on it's way, though.

Toronto is notorious for having mostly Green Christmases, though.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:10 pm

John, you could eat your heart out on the Dutch roads right now, it's twice as bad as when you were here in 2006. We are so unprepared for snow that doesn't melt straightaway, that the 6 or 7 inches which fell over the course of 3 or 4 days almost completely stopped daily life here - although about half of it fell in a couple of hours yesterday, I admit.
I am proud of the regional bus company that stoically kept its service up and got me to work, while the local bus company failed to have any buses out all day. They couldn't even keep their website in the air.

And oh my, the city looks so very pretty in snow and sun, it's unbelievable. The weather forecast says it should stay cold until after Christmas.
Sour, did anyone ever tell you that the Blackberry doesn't HAVE to be your window on life exclusively? Let this be my xmas gift to you ';-)

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:08 pm

That's the upside, snow makes everything pretty! Can't believe tho you were considering riding your bike when all the streets are snowy. Way too slippery!

I was on my own this weekend (*mope*), so I decided to go to the zoo ince again. Probably not the smartest idea considering it was -10°C (=14°F) and windy outside... and well, the idea of snuggling with a 5-piece lion pride never felt so tempting.
So yes, cold. snow. And tomorrow, black ice.

cheetah.jpg
cheetah.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

palmenhaus.jpg
palmenhaus.jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 3427 times

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Great pics, Moni! Sounds a bit cold to be going to the zoo, but it looks beautiful nevertheless. I'm a bit jealous -- we've only had one real snow fall this year. Although the walk to the bus stop isn't as comfortable when you have to trounce through a foot of snow, there's something so beautiful about a sheet of pure white covering a large park, and weighing down the branches of a fir tree that almost makes it worth it.

And Liesbeth -- I know. I also use the TV and my desktop. ;)

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:20 am

Oh Man. I must be hungry. Those bldgs are beautiful, but I can't take my eyes off the foliage, which happens to look like giant, powdered sugar covered Aebelskivers.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Too much snow... two major blizzards in a month is too much for this cat. Especially when one comes during the Xmas travel season.

Drove to parents house (200 miles) for one side of the family's party, then left Miss Claire with the grandparents and drove home for a few days so wife could work. Then the ice and snow hit. Managed to make it back on Xmas eve, though, so we didn't have to have a Xmas without our Big (little) girl. We were lucky... didn't think we were gonna make it.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:32 am

wow, that's a very white Xmas, glad to hear you safely made it back to your family.

kategottli

Postby kategottli » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:23 am

I will resurrect this thread and mention that there are more snowmobiles than cars on my street right now.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:00 pm

We are seeing our first real snowfall of the year. We've had a few flurries -- some of which even stayed on the ground for a night or two -- but tonight's the first night I stepped outside and saw all the cars in the neighbourhood blanketed in a couple of inches worth of snow. It's nice tonight, but by the middle of April, I will have long since grown weary of it.

kategottli

Postby kategottli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:06 am

Have you heard Hawksley Workman's Christmas album? Whenever it snows I find myself thinking of this song

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Hawksley_Workman:First_Snow_Of_The_Year

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:20 am

Is/was it really that bad?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc4ixx ... shortfilms

"Fourteen!! to twenty-two!! inches!! of SNOOOOOOWWW!!!!!"
Have to give him credit for making terrible weather so entertaining tho.

Return to “Cattywampus”