BOAT

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

junker347

BOAT

Postby junker347 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Anyone else notice an uncanny similarity between BOAT's "We Want It! We Want It!" and a certain other track close to our collective heart?

zach

Re: BOAT

Postby zach » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 pm

I've been meaning to bring this up for a week now!
They recently did an in-studio at KEXP in which they played this song and I thought it was going to be a cover for the first bit.
Weird, right? But I like "We Want It!" quite a lot. BOAT seem like good guys, too.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Wow... that is strikingly similar.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:59 pm

I do hear the similarities, but the C/G/F progression is hardly a new one in music. I can think of another song we all might know about certain doomed astronauts that uses a strikingly similar progression slowed down a few dozen bpm.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Ok sure, the progression is quite common, but that is like the same strumming/syncopation almost exactly. I'm not complaining, both are great tracks. BOAT's album was one of my favorite surprises of 09.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:51 am

I for one can assure you all that the fellows in BOAT are fine people, and fine musicians to boot!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Hm, fairly striking. If I had been at that show I would have thought it was a cover until the vocals came in. And it sounds like they could easily sing their own verse and the LW chorus without missing a beat. Did sound nice though, they clearly have good taste.

I could have sworn they played together at some point, but not so - according to my Library concert list at least. Perhaps it was Harvey Danger that BOAT have played with?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:37 pm

We played with BOAT at the Showbox in July of, what, '08? Is that right? With the Cops. BOAT's drummer, Jackson, is married to Erika who works at Barsuk. Erica's brother Michael is the singer of Telekinesis. Michael has been drumming on some exploratory tracks with Matthew Caws recently. Matthew was just in Seattle mixing their covers record with John Goodmanson. John recorded the Harvey Danger records.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 am

That's the really long way of getting from Barsuk to Harvey Danger.

Now I know why I remember the link: BOAT interviewed John and vice versa for Three Imaginary Girls. The Library needs some updating...

orochics

Postby orochics » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:41 pm

John wrote:We played with BOAT at the Showbox in July of, what, '08? Is that right? With the Cops. BOAT's drummer, Jackson, is married to Erika who works at Barsuk. Erica's brother Michael is the singer of Telekinesis. Michael has been drumming on some exploratory tracks with Matthew Caws recently. Matthew was just in Seattle mixing their covers record with John Goodmanson. John recorded the Harvey Danger records.

I thought this was going to end with Kevin Bacon... /shrug

zach

Postby zach » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:23 am

orochics wrote:I thought this was going to end with Kevin Bacon... /shrug

The music of The Long Winters has been featured in the hit TV show, "The O.C." starring Adam Brody. He was in "The Ring" with Maury Ginsberg, who is in "My One and Only" with Kevin Bacon. Bam.

Return to “Cattywampus”