World Cup 2010

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

World Cup 2010

Postby Squid » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Hello Dudes. I get the sense that we are - all of us - a lot more crazy busy than we were four years ago. I know I am. But it's here! It's here and it's historic and Shakira is Waka-ing! What? I don't know either! So what?! It's AWESOME.

At any rate, I hope that we can all grab a few quick seconds here and there to share our current geopolitical theories on who's gonna kick ass and why. I look forward to it.

ps: For those who want to see it, even though the streaming is being pummelled by hits, here's the Kickoff Concert.
pss: For those who live in Santa Cruz, my brother is doing some crazy 5am Surf + 7am Breakfast Game Watch. (See Liesbeth, that's what Santa Cruz does to people, might be worth a visit...)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: World Cup 2010

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:56 am

5am surf, 7am breakfast? it's our holiday, Squiddie, I think we must avoid Santa Cruz.

anyways,most of the Dutch matches seem to be in the afternoon during work hours, so I'm not gonna be seeing much of our asses getting whipped - I'm not that optimistic about our chances. But I think this year Tahiti will beat Trinidad/Tobago, Thailand will probably kick Central African Republics' ass and Liechtenstein will be definitely be an outsider.

What worries me most right now, is that for at least a month I will not be able to wear my orange trousers because people think I'm a football crazy fan.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 am

Actually a 5am surf, 7am breakfast sounds like an ideal vacation activity. And I'm a night owl.

The key would be the 10-12 pre-siesta nap, followed by lunch and the proper siesta.

I'm mostly pleased at the World Cup for putting "Shosholoza" on the radio this morning. I grew up with that song.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:12 am

Squid!! I knew I could count on you to open a thread for this :)

I'll be rooting for Spain, Italy and South Africa mostly, as well as co-rooting for the Oranjes with Liesbeth. Maybe another African or South American team is going to tickle my fancy... not sure about Brazil they were pretty disappointing 4 years ago.
Oh and just because I can, here's a picture of the stadium of Cape Town, taken almost one year ago. Tonight we'll see what the finished product looks like. I'm excited :)
DSC_0691_web.jpg
Cape Town stadium, August 2009.
DSC_0691_web.jpg (333.39 KiB) Viewed 4585 times

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:04 am

It'd be so much easier to be a fan of the Argentinian team if Diego Maradona wasn't such a douchebag. Hand of god, my ass.
And those antics during the game? Jeez. Drugs are bad.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Yeah, he's something, isn't he? Ironically, the same quirks, instincts, timing and self-assurance that made him a gifted player are the same that assets that, left unchecked, go seriously haywire.

So, I have missed much so far (I had a really hardcore week at work that extended into the weekend), and I'll have to watch a lot on replay. (But I know all the scores, so no worries re: spoilers.) But will say this: even though Germany is awesome...Cahill getting sent off just seemed bang out of order to me. I agree with Ally McCoins' assessement that it seemed a yellow, no? That said, GOOD GOD. I was watching that game at the gym and made the mistake of running to the locker room to grab my bag and all of the sudden it's effing 4 - nil ?! How you gonna score two goals THAT FAST?! I couldn't have been gone more than 2 minutes. Srsly.

OMG tmrw is Japan / Cameroon! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And OF COURSE, Netherlands v Denmark. 4:30am my time! Ouch. I love this game!

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:56 pm

Squid, I didn't see the GER-AUS match, so I cannot weigh in unfortunatley (although I do like to have an opinion on all these things of course :).

I hate to say it, but so far this tournament really sucks. It makes me sad. And not just because of those annoying bumblee-trumpets in A-sharp.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:06 pm

OMG France - Mexico. just in case Squiddie hasn't seen it yet, I won't say anything more. Except that Ireland can be happy that the injustice of the qualifications has been vindicated.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Saw it! Amazing!

Oh Cameroon. I don't care how many times I see it. A grown man on his knees sobbing on the pitch makes me cry too. It always will. Still, Denmark seemed to maintain a steady attack throughout. They played a very strong game.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:03 pm

France AND Italy out?

Moni, I'm sorry, I know you support Azzuri. But we have to admit, do we not, that these games have been anything but predictable. France, Italy, and UK - all falling apart at the seams! IT'S NUTS!

I hope all these Pacific Northwest dealio-type cities have good places for me to watch my matches. This is serious, man!

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 pm

Let's face it, the Squadra Azzurra deserve to be out. They were awful in all three games. Looks like the Brits are slowly getting their s*** together tho? We'll see.
That said, Portugal beating the snot out of North Korea was beautiful.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:04 am

BRA vs. POR = What the hell was that? Did they try to bore each other to death, including the audience? I'd rather watch a Vuvuzela concert than another lame match like this one.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:25 pm

My goodness, what a quarter final weekend this has been. Went to friends in Rotterdam to watch NL vs Brazil in a local pub, and after the first half none of us gave a dime for our chances. Things turned around amazingly, and the street party after the win was most wonderful.
Then we watched the amazing end of Ghana-Uruguay; we we're all rooting for Ghana to be our opponents in the semi-final but alas.

Missed Germany's complete humiliation of Argentina because I was at the start of the Tour de France bike race in Rotterdam (which was pretty wet but great fun) but saw the second half of Paraguay-Spain, which was quite amazing with those penalties.

Cannot say this tournament has been predictable.
Some strange decisions from referees though. Saw a wonderful documentary this week about the refereeing for Euro 2008, where they had complete access behind the scenes: referee dressing rooms, meetings and the mikes used for communication between the three referees during the match. It gave a great insight.

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Hello. This just in:

LIESBETH OMFG YOU ARE IN THE FINAL OMFG HUP HUP WOOOOO!

I mean, not you, personally, but you can wear your orange trousers and it will be JUST like being on the pitch.

Congrats!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:54 pm

O H M Y G O O D N E S S , this was bad for my heart
hope the world was entertained by that late goal - I love that kind of thing if my team is not in the field

I promise I will film the orange finals craze on Sunday and post some here, whether we win or lose, it will be one hell of a special day

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:05 am

Liesbeth wrote:I promise I will film the orange finals craze on Sunday and post some here, whether we win or lose, it will be one hell of a special day

Yes please do so! They showed scenes from Amsterdam yesterday after the game was over--I wish I could have been there!
And yea I was on the edge of my seat during the last 5 minutes as well. Jesus.
As for today, you might have heard that the famous psychic octopus has predicted victory for Spain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10529309.stm

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Well you know, I don't put much stock in octopus opinions. FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

But today, my fellow sea dweller really nailed it, baby!

NED and ESP it is!

(Ps: Poor Pedro. Oof. He is REALLY lucky they won. Ouch.)

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:00 am

Octopus graph of ruined symmetry.

Something in me recognizes this graph as a seminal shift in the way we produce and appreciate art and information. But maybe it's just because I like cephalopods.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:28 am

wonderful graph!

for old time's sake (we lost the final in '74 to Germany) it would have been fun to have played Germany, but I was rooting for Spain. I like how they missed just about as many obvious chances as we did in our semi-final.

Sunday is going to be caliente! And not just because the weather's really hot here right now.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:57 pm

as promised, here's my rough video report on yesterday's football events, didnt' really feel like prettying it up.
We hung out at our fave bar a few hours before the match, and it was so much fun seeing everyone cycling or walking in whatever orange outfit they could find towards their 'watching-the-game' destination. It was a hugely warm day here, but we we're standing outside where there was a little breeze. Inside the screen was a lot bigger but the level of oxygen a lot lower. Everyone simply HAD to drink much to rehydrate, and it was an amazing sight was how at half time and before extra time a whole army of men stormed towards the park across the street to empty their bladders.

I won't say much about the match itself, except that - however much I would have liked to have partied till dawn - I think the best team won. No thanks to the referees who made some blatant errors (one of them hugely in our favour, because a red card totally would have been in order in the first half and would have changed the match hugely).

Today the atmosphere in the Netherlands was one of general disappointment but resignment, we we're just outclassed here. Now we need to get back to the real world and try to get on with our lives again, ah, writing this feels decidedly therapeutic [insert big sigh].
All mock drama aside: it sure was a fun ride!

Return to “Cattywampus”