King James Version

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

King James Version

Post by NatureBoy »

Loving the Long Winters has spun me into new directions musically, one of these directions being Harvey Danger. I bought Where have all the Merrymakers Gone? but I can't find King James Version anywhere...I've been to about 5 different places and no luck. Have you seen it anywhere?
call me stupid

Re: King James Version

Post by call me stupid »

NatureBoy wrote:Loving the Long Winters has spun me into new directions musically, one of these directions being Harvey Danger. I bought Where have all the Merrymakers Gone? but I can't find King James Version anywhere...I've been to about 5 different places and no luck. Have you seen it anywhere?

I couldn't tell you where to find it, unless you wanted to order it online http://www.musicstack.com/tsearch/harve ... es_version ....but i will pray in the name of Sean that you find it soon, it is quite possibly the best cd i own(with LW: WIPTF a close 2nd)
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

Last time I looked it was on the iTunes store (if you're a mac person). It's DL-able for only $10, out the door.

There's also a bunch for sale on GEMM:
http://tinyurl.com/hmj7
heather

Post by heather »

hey! go to sonic boom and buy it. they will have it. if they don't, slap the cashier.

KJV is one of the best things that will ever grace your eardrums. Seriously.
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

I love you guys...thanks!

Who else should I be listening to? I'm into Nada Surf now...Pedro the Lion...Death Cab...among others...

How about a 'If you like these, try these' list?

After hearing LW last year I've plunged head first into local music appreciation rather than taking what corporate radio gives me...I love that feeling of "I can't believe I didn't know about this band before" type of discovery...
eric!

Post by eric! »

o goodness. i should be able to give a hand here with a little bit of a list... note that not all of these f'n great bands are local. ;|

764-HERO
damien jurado (also, damien jurado & gathered in song)
elliott smith
the beta band
the american analog set
blonde redhead
enon
the dismemberment plan
guided by voices
hot hot heat
hot snakes
the john and spencer booze explosion
minus the bear
modest mouse
new wet kojak
the prom
the drop
songs:ohia
spoon
sunset valley
ted leo & the pharmacists
the wrens
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I thoroughly recommend Touched by Ken Stringfellow. It was on near constant rotation until I bought Harm.
And save some money, because Jon Auer's first solo album is due in September.

If you are into pop, get Welcome Interstate Managers by Fountains of Wayne.
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

Yeah! Thanks!

I'm already into:
elliott smith
the beta band
hot hot heat
modest mouse

How about Guster? I just heard Amsterdam on KEXP and I like 'em...is the rest of the CD good? Or their past CDs?

Aside, what happened with Harvey Danger's breakup? Is it innappropriate to ask, like when some friends you know got a divorce and you don't really talk about it? Sometimes bad things beget good things, like when WSH and HD broke up, and now we're blessed with TLW - but I'm interested in knowing the scoop before VH1's Behind the Music tells me...
eric!

Post by eric! »

guster's pretty good too. some friends of mine saw them live when they were in seattle several months back with maroon 5, and thought it was a great show.
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

I saw Maroon 5 when they opened for O.A.R. with Matt Nathanson - they put on a great show! They're very talented...

They closed with Nine inch Nails 'Closer'...best cover of that song I've ever heard...
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

I've liked Maroon 5 for a while now....good to see there are others!! Their new cd is awesome
ChadyzGroove
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by ChadyzGroove »

you can get king james version at bmgmusic.com and you get a buncha other cds too
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

Speaking of Fountains of Wayne, aren't they playing the Croc tonight?
stephanie

welcome, interstate managers.

Post by stephanie »

NatureBoy wrote:Speaking of Fountains of Wayne, aren't they playing the Croc tonight?

OH YES, THEY ARE.

I am painfully aware of this because they are playing a 21+ venue on my 21st birthday (i.e. today) in my favourite city in America. Oi gevalt, someone please attend this event for me and tell them that the crazy Midwestern girl with the homemade "Stacy's mom has got it goin' on" t-shirt wishes she were there to see them.

<3<3<3.
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

That's the only song I've heard, and a hell of a video!

Whole CD good?
stephanie

stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me?

Post by stephanie »

NatureBoy wrote:That's the only song I've heard, and a hell of a video!

Whole CD good?

Oh, heavens.
There are so few bands in this world I will recommend as wholeheartedly and devotedly as Fountains of Wayne. I often draw Lennon/McCartney comparisons to the unstoppable duo of Collingwood/Schlesinger -- pop music geniuses.
The weekend before last, I flew to Philadelphia just to see FoW. Le sigh.

For starters, I'd recommend Utopia Parkway, but I can say honestly that I think everything they've ever touched is pure brilliance.

And oi! That's more Cattywampus than Cattywampus!
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

In the spirit of full cattywampusness....

Happy Birthday Stephanie! Queen of the Midwestern Desert! Mistress of all she surveys!! All Hail!
heather

Post by heather »

holy jumping wallas, they're playing here tonight? dammit! anyone seen the video for "stacy's mom"? FASTIMES RULES!
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

John wrote:In the spirit of full cattywampusness....

Happy Birthday Stephanie! Queen of the Midwestern Desert! of all she surveys!! All Hail!

indeed, happy birthday to her. we had a good time at a great bar, and she owned the jukebox. ip-relay.com rules, also!
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

NatureBoy wrote:Speaking of Fountains of Wayne, aren't they playing the Croc tonight?

Okay after someone filled me in on some of those guys’ lyrics I just want to say that I really truly madly hope their lyrics are meant to be hilarious, because they are.

She drives a lavender Lexus
She lives in Queens but her dad lives in Texas

Seriously, if you feel the urge to rhyme “Lexus – Texas,” shouldn’t you do something about that? I mean... WAAAHH!!

I thoroughly recommend Touched by Ken Stringfellow.

True! I'd also like to throw in The Posies, especially if you like vocal harmonies. I'd go for "Dear 23" for a start.