King James Version

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I'd also like to throw in The Posies, especially if you like vocal harmonies. I'd go for "Dear 23" for a start.

I couldn't agree more about the band, but as for an album, I wouldn't recommend Dear 23 unless you like Big Star a lot.
I would choose either Frosting On The Beater of Amazing Disgrace, the latter being my favourite on account for it being a bit louder and because of the song Grant Hart.

In fact, I thoroughly recommend Grant Hart. If you want to hear true vocal harmony heaven, listen to Run Run Run To The Centre Pompidou, on his latest album Good News For Modern Man. Might be a bit hard to find, but it's worth it.

Although I totally want Fountains of Wayne to score big with Stacy's Mom, I do hope they find time to do some European gigs. I missed them the last time they were here. I did hear Brian Young sing Sink To The Bottom at a Chariot gig, though. Cool!
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

hey! go to sonic boom and buy it. they will have it. if they don't, slap the cashier.

Went there today, and they didn't have it! I didn't slap the cashier though, because he was very helpful in helping me special order it...

I just got Welcome Interstate Managers, and a Minus 5 CD called Down with Wilco...good stuff!

I missed Built to Spill at the croc over the weekend...did anyone here go?
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

a Minus 5 CD called Down with Wilco...

I was a little disppointed with this one – it got a lot of hype because of the Wilco collaboration, so I felt a little let down after the first few listens – overall I like it nonetheless, but I prefer their last release “Let The War Against Music Begin” (the M5 – YFF double feature).

I couldn't agree more about the band, but as for an album, I wouldn't recommend Dear 23 unless you like Big Star a lot.
I would choose either Frosting On The Beater of Amazing Disgrace, the latter being my favourite on account for it being a bit louder and because of the song Grant Hart.

I would recommend Dear23 because I think it’s their most accessible work – rather melancholy, but also very melodic, some really good lyrics (that always seem to touch very similar topics in every song).
Frosting on the Beater is good, too, tho I never understood what’s the big deal with “Solar Sister” – never been a real fan of that song (doesn’t mean it is bad of course).

I am surprised that only very few people actually like Success – for me it’s probably not a very strong record as a whole, but there are a couple of songs that I really like.

It took me an eternity to get Amazing Disgrace for a decent price, so I guessI better give it a few more listens before I try to talk smart about that one.
omphale

Post by omphale »

Admittedly, I listen almost exclusively to bands that my friends are in, which means that the only people who have ever heard of them are the other people who hang out in the dive bars I tend to frequent in my two home ports, Austin TX and Minneapolis MN. Some of these bands do actually have CDs and/or attempt to go on tour from time to time, but these recommendations will mostly be useful to people who live in the vicinity of one of the aforementioned locales.

In no particular order:

Centro-matic/South San Gabriel/Will Johnson
Fluffers Union
Molly and the Hatchetts
Jonathan Maki
Hard To Make A Living
Crew Jones
Scott Biram
Elizabeth McQueen and the Firebrands
Lowery 66
Slick57
Robbie and the Robots
Feaker Speedback
Pong
Eleda
Black-eyed Snakes
The Damnations, TX
Janis Figure
Slobberbone

I'm a huge fan of Centro-matic's Distance and Clime, and I also really love Will Johnson's solo project, Murder of Tides, and South San Gabriel's Welcome Convalescence.

Check out www.fluffersunion.com and buy the new EP, Segway. I played the French Horn on it, which should in and of itself make it worth your 8 bucks, but beyond that it's a pretty phenomenal bit of indie-rock chaos.

[/url][/code]
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

Liz wrote:
I would recommend Dear23 because I think it’s their most accessible work – rather melancholy, but also very melodic, some really good lyrics (that always seem to touch very similar topics in every song).
Frosting on the Beater is good, too, tho I never understood what’s the big deal with “Solar Sister” – never been a real fan of that song (doesn’t mean it is bad of course).

I am surprised that only very few people actually like Success – for me it’s probably not a very strong record as a whole, but there are a couple of songs that I really like.

It took me an eternity to get Amazing Disgrace for a decent price, so I guessI better give it a few more listens before I try to talk smart about that one.

I would agree w/you...on a lot.lol

Frosting on the Beater was their more commercial work and I don't get the "Solar Sister" craze either. Great song, but I never understood why it was THAT song everyone latched onto.

When Amazing Disgrace came out it was the height of my "Posies Mania" and I went to the midnight release at Tower and had them all sign it. Classic exchange w/Ken in regards to me wearing the famous Smashing Pumpkins "Zero" shirt. He asked about me liking them and I believe I said "they're alright" and he pointed out that I was wearing their shirt. I think I tried to avoid being incredibly lame having to admit that altho I did like the Smashing Pumpkins I wasn't a HUGE fan and just really liked that shirt. I still do. I would have bought it if it had been by any band just because I think it's so cool.

When I finally bought Success I was so completely disappointed. I wanted to cry. I had high hopes and I didn't care for it. I have only listened to it a couple times, maybe I should try again.

I also need to give Ken's first solo CD another shot since I hated it upon first listen.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:I also need to give Ken's first solo CD another shot since I hated it upon first listen.

I've always thought that really is two different records mixed up, half being home-recorded instrumentals and the other half 'normal' guitar songs. He was not the happiest person in the world when he recorded it, and it shows. There was a really interesting interview in Comes With A Smile magazine (thoroughly recommended!!) in which he is quite open about it.