Demographics 1: Long Winters fan locales.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Your current base of operations is:

Canada
6%
Middle U.S. - north of the Mason-Dixon line
29%
Middle U.S. - south of the Mason-Dixon line
8%
East Coast U.S. (NYC to Miami urban corridor)
12%
West Coast U.S. (Seattle to San Diego urban corridor)
32%
Latin America
No votes
The British Isles (IONA: Great Britain, Ireland, Isle of Man)
3%
Continental Europe (Germany, France, the Lowlands, Scandinavia, former Soviet bloc)
5%
The Middle East (Israel, North Africa, Arabian & Persian states)
No votes
Asia (the Indian subcontinent to Japan)
No votes
Sub-saharan Africa (the jungle belt to South Africa)
2%
The Antipodes (Australia, Oceania, Polynesia)
5%

Total votes: 66

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Demographics 1: Long Winters fan locales.

Postby grant » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:52 am

So. Where are you from? Where are you now? Are you pleased with your place in life?
Last edited by grant on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:08 am

i am from germany, living in ireland. ireland is, whatever you may think in the us, not a part of great britain. could you please put in the option? *GRUMBLE*

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:13 am

Right, you might consider changing Great Britain to "Those Islands in the Northwest of Europe that no one can tell apart really"

I'm neither from Germany, France, the Lowlands, Scandinavia, or the former Soviet bloc, but I'm still from the European continent. I hope I count! Otherwise I shall feel neglected again.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:30 am

WESTSIDE!!!

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:33 am

Awww poor Grant! ;)

Oh and according to Will and Ian Ferguson’s How To Be A Candian (Even If You Are Already One) you should divide “Canada” into the options “Canada” and “Quebec” because Quebec is not Canadian, way not!

And what would I have to vote for if I were from Hawaii? Greenland? The south pole? Mars?

That said, after an interlude in weird-ish-ly Ohio I’ve returned to my little country in Middle Europe that most people would not (=this is an edit cos I'm dumb) find on the map, except if they are from Germany. Because they know of course where they are going on vacation.
And it’s not Liechtenstein.
Last edited by Moni on Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:47 am

With my education in geography I totally dig this poll, but the subdivision is bound to raise discussion.

Luckily I'm not from mediterranean europe, cause then I would be bitching too. Hang on, North Africa part of the Middle East? And personally I would be interested in separating the Seattle area (excluding Spokane ;-) from the rest of the westcoast.

Liz wrote:my little country in Middle Europe that most people would find on the map, except if they are from Germany.

I never knew German's were such lousy map readers, and they are my neighbours and all.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:08 am

Liesbeth wrote:I never knew German's were such lousy map readers, and they are my neighbours and all.

Oh crap, I wanted to write "would NOT find on the map"... let me edit this.. eh!

heathalouise

Postby heathalouise » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:25 am

This was hard for me, because right now I'm in the south and next week I'll be moving back northeast to Philadelphia. So, do I choose where I'm going to be or where I am now? I went for where I'm now, if only because no one was representing below the Mason-Dixon. I don't consider where I am (Athens, GA) to be the "middle U.S.," though. It's not on the coast, but it doesn't quite have that true deep south vibe. (Of course, go 30 miles in any direction and you may think otherwise, Atlanta notwithstanding...)

I will stop rambling now. This is what happens when you're two days away from your thesis defense....

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:40 am

i am in seattle, i was born in seattle, i was raised here and i have never lived anywhere else. i plan to never leave, i love it here. as my mom has said in regards to me, "i think you were born in the place you were meant to be".

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:11 pm

Your geographical concerns are well founded -- the poll function only allows for 12 divisions of the world, and I assumed most members would be from North America.

Originally, Africa was divided into three portions, and Scandinavia and the Mediterranean each had their own entry, separate from Western Europe. Asia was also divided much more reasonably and the United states was quartered in addition to the coastal sprawls, rather than merely halved.

Ireland, however, was lumped in with Great Britain all along. If Taiwan has to suffer a close association with China, then the Irish must likewise soldier on. Only in a manner of speaking, of course -- I'd rather no molotov cocktails were actually hurled between the nationalists and Ulstermen on this messageboard (and, indeed, in Ireland itself).

The final choice, of course, was originally "a small island off the coast of Antarctica." Alas, to be limited so.

Liz wrote: And what would I have to vote for if I were from Hawaii? Greenland? The south pole? Mars?

Hawaii would be lumped in with Oceania, Greenland is a Danish territory and thus Scandinavian, and thus in Western Europe.

The south pole would likewise be either the Antipodes or possibly South America, depending on if you were in the Prince Edward Islands, for example, or Tierra del Fuego.

I believe the only Martians on the board are members of the band themselves, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, the Internet doesn't allow for direct communication from Mars, so Martian members would simply report the area they happen to be in at the present time.

That said, after an interlude in weird-ish-ly Ohio I’ve returned to my little country in Middle Europe that most people would not (=this is an edit cos I'm dumb) find on the map, except if they are from Germany. Because they know of course where they are going on vacation.
And it’s not Liechtenstein.

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, then?
My main impression of Luxembourg is of rabbits, huddled in a green space not far from the airport, directly after being bundled off a Lux-Air flight and immediately driving hell-for-leather up to Bonn. That would be me, not the rabbits. They were placidly enjoying a brillant expanse of vivid emerald as I went racing by.

Liechtenstein is much kinder to me, but I have influential family ties there (a close cousin of my mother's married slightly above her station), as well as a rather embarrassing addiction to cheese. Raclette. Fondue. And no bother with speaking French... yes. Liechtenstein for me.

I'm digressing quite a bit, though.

If anyone is curious, I'm from the Eastern US urban corridor. Far closer to Miami than New York, although you wouldn't know it to hear the local dialect.
Last edited by grant on Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:12 pm

*makes molotov cocktail and goes on the look-out for unionists* ;-P

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:46 pm

born and raised in the Los Angeles suburb that brought you Richard Nixon and the high school that brought you the high school for the back to the future movies, I'm going to be moving up into northern california, while attending Humboldt State.......hopefully.

oh and Liz, Luxembourg or you're Swiss.

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:57 am

heathalouise wrote:I don't consider where I am (Athens, GA) to be the "middle U.S.," though. It's not on the coast, but it doesn't quite have that true deep south vibe. (Of course, go 30 miles in any direction and you may think otherwise, Atlanta notwithstanding...)

well, as space-consuming as athens, ga features in my personal universe (and it's BIG there), wouldn't it realistically be in the nyc-miami urban corridor? at least it was the last time i looked at a map... *shrug*

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:00 am

the poll function only allows for 12 divisions of the world

Ooh, so we can just blame all this on Merlin? Cool! hehe

Ireland, however, was lumped in with Great Britain all along.

Having just returned from the beautiful city of Dublin, I strongly resent this – for your own safety! You have no idea what these people are capable of, as nice as they usually are. Telling an Irish they’re from GB is like telling a New Yorker he’s from New Jersey, just worse.

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, then?

oh and Liz, Luxembourg or you're Swiss

I actually thought I’m not from Luxembourg, but since both of you are saying so... who knows!

Actually most people obviously don’t even know Luxembourg exists, at least the post office lady in Bow.Gr., OH. She asked the girl who wanted to send a parcel to said country “Luxembourg – is that in Germany?” After a long moment of silence I daringly threw in “Luxembourg is a country in Northwestern Europe,” but the blank stare given to me by the post office lady prevented me from continuing with Geography for Advanced-terms like “Benelux Countries.”
And there was nothing left but silence... maybe I should have mentioned the rabbits.

This is what happens when you're two days away from your thesis defense....

So you’re going to UGA I take? What’ve you been studying? Oh and just wait for the days after the thesis defense... (as one of my teachers pointed out:) your IQ will drop significantly (at least mine did)!
That said, since lovely Georgia shares its wee (aah I’m becoming a Scot!) bit of the Atlantic Ocean, I’d say East Coast indeed?

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:51 am

Liz wrote:
Having just returned from the beautiful city of Dublin, I strongly resent this – for your own safety! You have no idea what these people are capable of, as nice as they usually are. Telling an Irish they’re from GB is like telling a New Yorker he’s from New Jersey, just worse.

YUP! exactly! dontcha dare throwing ireland in with the uk again! and that's coming from a person who's not even a native, so god have mercy on your soul if you ever come across an actual irish person here! *g*

I actually thought I’m not from Luxembourg, but since both of you are saying so... who knows!

actually she's from vatican city. looooong story there...

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

heathalouise

Postby heathalouise » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:12 am

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:well, as space-consuming as athens, ga features in my personal universe (and it's BIG there), wouldn't it realistically be in the nyc-miami urban corridor? at least it was the last time i looked at a map... *shrug*

This is my strict New England bias -- I grew up within 20 minutes of the ocean and can't consider anyplace "coastal" unless it's within the 45-minute drive range. I feel like I'm lying saying that it's in the urban corridor. :)

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:17 am

Here's my solution for the Ireland problem (as well as Hawaii and Greenland): there must be a general category Islands.
This doesn't solve the Athens problem, but since it shares its name with Athens (Greece), I'd gladly welcome y'all to the mainland Europe category.

“Luxembourg – is that in Germany?”

That's the usual resort for the average geographically challenged American, either that or "isn't that somewhere in Scandinavia". I'm stubborn enough to claim to be from the Netherlands rather than Holland. And yes, there is more here than just Amsterdam - that city is so overrated.

Grant's obviously very knowledgeable on Europe, though, his description of Luxemburg was spot on.
As a child I lived in a neighbourhood where the streets were named after towns in Luxemburg. When I was 13 we went on holiday in Belgium, and one day did all those Luxemburg towns in one afternoon. Including the one our street was named after, only we nearly missed it because it was a tiny village. They must have been really desperate when they were naming those streets...

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:45 am

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:
Liz wrote:Having just returned from the beautiful city of Dublin, I strongly resent this – for your own safety! You have no idea what these people are capable of, as nice as they usually are. Telling an Irish they’re from GB is like telling a New Yorker he’s from New Jersey, just worse.

YUP! exactly! dontcha dare throwing ireland in with the uk again! and that's coming from a person who's not even a native, so god have mercy on your soul if you ever come across an actual irish person here! *g*

Well, I'd never categorize the Emerald Isle with the United Kingdom, except for the bit up in the north.

Geographically, though, it is just as much a part of the British Isles as Guernsey, the Hebrides and the Isle of Man. There's simply some unfortunate political history which tends to... muddy the waters.

I was intending "Great Britain" in a more geological sense, but should have had the foresight to separately mention that storied isle of which Chesterton once wrote:

The great Gaels of Ireland are the men who God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.

My sincerest apologies.

actually she's from vatican city. looooong story there...

Strange doings in the Holy See?

I'm imagining a dramatic scene in the back of a Roman taxicab... the traffic, paralyzed... the young mother, in the throes of the act of generation... the driver, frantic... perhaps a stray Jesuit, peering out of his window, sees the unfolding drama and dispatches a knowledgeable Scholasticate sister to assist at the scene... quickly, an awed crowd of novices gather from a nearby convent, clutching their rosaries tightly. A Franciscan friar produces a guitar and begins singing hymns of praise an encouragement! Other drivers leave their immobile vehicles to gather in wonder at the scene! A young boy is sent running to fetch the carabinieri!

Between spasms, the mother groans out the telephone number of her husband, trapped in an office across the city. She cries: "E il tempo, Giannini! It is time!" A dashing young priest, Oblate Order of St. Benedict, races up the stairs to the cathedral office, where he snatches up the telephone and dials. He shouts down the stairway, "Che sta accendendo, Padre?" The old monsignor, startled from his afternoon nap only moments earlier, peers out from the front door and repeats the question to the thronging crowd.

"The baby, she is coming!" he cries up to the handsome priest, who repeats this to the bewildered father as calmly he is able. "Yes, she says it is time!"

"Now, the nursing sisters, they are taking her inside! No, they have delivered many babies in their missionary work! They are boiling the water and gathering the towels. Yes, she is a strong woman! You must be very proud! It is indeed a blessed event!

"And now she is on a simple bed in one of the basement rooms in the archives beneath St. Paul's... no, you must not come now, the traffic, it is impossible. It will clear in two hours. Can you be here in two hours?

"Because... hold on a moment... yes! Yes! You have a new baby daughter!"

---

Something along those lines would be lovely.
Last edited by grant on Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:14 pm

I'm stubborn enough to claim to be from the Netherlands rather than Holland. And yes, there is more here than just Amsterdam - that city is so overrated.

Have you been to Goch? It's just across the border from Nijmegen. Notable for being the home of my Great Uncle Ignatz and an imposing array of Phallaceae mushrooms. Which get their name from their shape....
Last edited by grant on Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:22 pm

Like so:

The Dog Stinkhorn, Phallaceae Mutinus caninus.

Return to “Cattywampus”