Demographics 1: Long Winters fan locales.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Your current base of operations is:

Canada
6%
Middle U.S. - north of the Mason-Dixon line
29%
Middle U.S. - south of the Mason-Dixon line
8%
East Coast U.S. (NYC to Miami urban corridor)
12%
West Coast U.S. (Seattle to San Diego urban corridor)
32%
Latin America
No votes
The British Isles (IONA: Great Britain, Ireland, Isle of Man)
3%
Continental Europe (Germany, France, the Lowlands, Scandinavia, former Soviet bloc)
5%
The Middle East (Israel, North Africa, Arabian & Persian states)
No votes
Asia (the Indian subcontinent to Japan)
No votes
Sub-saharan Africa (the jungle belt to South Africa)
2%
The Antipodes (Australia, Oceania, Polynesia)
5%

Total votes: 66

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Post by AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta »

grant, my sweet bit of part german exploitative nobility, you have once again proven your unparalleled genius! :-D except for the fact that clontarf is not one bit sleepy and basically part of the central dublin belt now you got it exactly right. and to make it fully understandable for our dear friends with no european connections now, here is the rest of the information:

(a) the whiskey i was talking about costs 28 euro for 0.75 liters at that offi (british isles nickname for off licence, which is still a liquor store) costs 15 euro for one entire liter at frankfurt duty free/ travel value (travel value = intra eu version of duty free)

(b) that very whiskey is called clontarf and, as the name says, distilled about a mile down the road from that very offi

so much about irish liquor prices...

still gibberish now? *g*

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Thanks for clearing that up!
Mite

Post by Mite »

I'm de-lurking (finally) to reply to an ancient thread, after nearly a whole summer where The Long Winters have rarely left my CD player, and even more rarely my brain.

I am a certified Minnesotan who went to school in Madison, WI. Now (as of about 3 weeks ago) I'm trying my luck in Atlanta, teaching 8th grade math in an inner-city school.

Needless to say, as a shy northern girl, this is going to take some getting used to. Luckily, New Girl is the perfect remedy for 90 sociopathic 14 year olds. I just hope that when the tour comes to Atlanta it's not on a school night. I'll be going regardless, but my patience may be a bit thin the next day.

I guess that's about it for intros. I think I may have met a couple of you at the Minneapolis show in May (I was the redhead who got to the show way too early with those two geeky guys). And if anybody here in Atlanta wants to meet up the next time the band comes to town, give me a holler.

Mite
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

Mite wrote: I think I may have met a couple of you at the Minneapolis show in May (I was the redhead who got to the show way too early with those two geeky guys). And if anybody here in Atlanta wants to meet up the next time the band comes to town, give me a holler.

Mite

i remember you! it's good to see you here. :)
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

grant wrote:In other words, in a liquor store in the sleepy waterfront suburb of Dublin, AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta found a fifth of the same whiskey for sale for $31.60... either far more or far less than it cost at the duty free shop in the Frankfurt Airport. I'd assume more, but one can never be sure.

FAR more i'd say...
warmfuzzysocks

Post by warmfuzzysocks »

I'm from the middle us, north of the mason dixon line (Detroit area!), but London was my home for seven months, and I feel I belong there. I did vote for the detroit area thing though....

I was the person at the Cleveland show may 2002 with Liz and I hit a deer on the way home after drinking at the house with those people. Yes. That was me.
Moni

Post by Moni »

warmfuzzysocks wrote:I'm from the middle us, north of the mason dixon line (Detroit area!), but London was my home for seven months, and I feel I belong there. I did vote for the detroit area thing though....

I was the person at the Cleveland show may 2002 with Liz and I hit a deer on the way home after drinking at the house with those people. Yes. That was me.

and was it fun or what. oh lordy.
anyway, i stayed in detroit for 1.5 days about 1.5 weeks ago. i missed you.
Phil

Post by Phil »

How do!

I'm in the North-West of good ol' In-ger-land. Just thought you might like to know....

That is all. Byeeeeeeee!
LoveSickJerk

Skewed

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Well i don't really reside in canada, but i'm from buffalo, NY, and that didn't fit anything else besides "above the mason dixon line". I figure i've listened to 102.1 and been drunk there enough to become a citizen by now.
i love my car

Post by i love my car »

I also hail from Minnesota, and was at the Minneapolis show in May.

After hearing about a concert Sondre Lerche was playing at, I excitedly flipped through that Wednesday's City Pages. "What is this?" I thought to myself, "The Long Winters? How intriguing!"

Boy, I've never been so right in my life. What a top-notch band.
wynkle

Post by wynkle »

I am from St. Louis. St. Louis is one of those cities whose residents have a love/hate relationship with it. St. Louisans love to complain about the weather, catholics, rednecks, school systems, the Mississippi, the arch, whatever. We are a bitter people. Anyone you meet who lives here and claims that they "like it" are either lying or they weren't born there. I like to think of us as lazy Spartans. We hate our home, but if anyone insults it we'll fight to the death.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Band Name Alert: Lazy Spartans.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

Upstate NY (Can I say that here?)

Basically, if you're more than 30 minutes from the GWB, you're "Upstate".
Middletown NY, the Paramus NJ of the Catskills
Our Motto: "I Heard they building another strip mall".
Sick of the crime in Manhattan?
Move here and start your very own crime wave!
Want diversityof culture?
Step on up, we got racial etiphets of all kinds, from:
"There goes the neighborhood",
to "Where's my rabbit"? (Wayans-Colors)
We've even got the Mafia!
(Mayor's dad was busted for racketeering last week)
Wanna get drunk and fight?
Go to The Cove Clam bar (don't order clams, they never had any) and
Tell "Throat Puncher", the Former US Marine, you think we should get out of the Middle East, or tell one of the drunken Darrell brothers that you're NOT a Yankees fan, and get a free "Suckerpunch".
See the sites, while driving 9mph behind a real life tractor as a H2 tries to climb over you.
Yup, Middletown....gotta love it!!!
Fi

Post by Fi »

"The Antipodes (Australia, Oceania, Polynesia)

antipodean, yep. the word that always sounds flash but pretty much means "geographically speaking, real far away". Every 14 hr flight to LA is a good reminder.
velvetcrush1

Post by velvetcrush1 »

I moved from Bloomingdale, IL(suburb outside of Chicago) to Minneapolis, MN a year ago today. I'm a midwestern girl....of mexican descent, though.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

Central City, Nebraska...
But then again, it doesn't really matter where I'm from,
because i can be anywhere...
I am THE FLASH...
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

Where am I from: See left.
Where am I now: See left.
Am I pleased with my place in life? Don't get me started.

Where I've lived in between:
OKC(I was a kid.)
Mountain View, CA(likewise a kid)
Here
Los Angeles (S. Central, college)
Arlington, VA(post-flunking-out-of-college)

Where I've slept:
OK: Here, OKC, Tulsa, somewhere near Lake Texoma
TX: Dallas, Austin, Amarillo
MI: Detroit
NM: Albuquerque, Gallup
AZ: Flagstaff
CA: Barstow, Bakersfield, Mountain View, Los Angeles,Sundry cities in the Los Angeles Area
TN: Memphis, Knoxville
AL: Birmingham
MN: Bloomington
UK: London, Bath(Eng.), Llandaff(Cymru)
VA: Arlington
Washington, D.C.

I spent several weeks in England/Wales in March of 1997, I will do it again someday no matter what I have to sell, and I must say I didn't get any impression of hostility toward the Irish there. I don't believe I heard them mentioned at all. Hmm.

Seattle sounds great, but I just don't know if I could stand the weather on a full-time basis. I'd definitely like to visit, however.
Moni

Post by Moni »

nwheather wrote:Where am I from: See left.
Where am I now: See left.
Am I pleased with my place in life? Don't get me started.

Where I've lived in between:
OKC(I was a kid.)
Mountain View, CA(likewise a kid)
Here
Los Angeles (S. Central, college)
Arlington, VA(post-flunking-out-of-college)

Where I've slept:
OK: Here, OKC, Tulsa, somewhere near Lake Texoma
TX: Dallas, Austin, Amarillo
MI: Detroit
NM: Albuquerque, Gallup
AZ: Flagstaff
CA: Barstow, Bakersfield, Mountain View, Los Angeles,Sundry cities in the Los Angeles Area
TN: Memphis, Knoxville
AL: Birmingham
MN: Bloomington
UK: London, Bath(Eng.), Llandaff(Cymru)
VA: Arlington
Washington, D.C.

I spent several weeks in England/Wales in March of 1997, I will do it again someday no matter what I have to sell, and I must say I didn't get any impression of hostility toward the Irish there. I don't believe I heard them mentioned at all. Hmm.

Seattle sounds great, but I just don't know if I could stand the weather on a full-time basis. I'd definitely like to visit, however.

wow that's a nice collection of homes - but how did you deal with the weather in Wales if you say you might not be able to deal with the one in Seattle full-time?

I've been to Seattle a few times, and never a single drop of rain - obviuosly the city is kind to travelers :)

PS. over here it was snowing last night. ick.
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

Liz wrote:wow that's a nice collection of homes - but how did you deal with the weather in Wales if you say you might not be able to deal with the one in Seattle full-time?

I've been to Seattle a few times, and never a single drop of rain - obviuosly the city is kind to travelers :)

PS. over here it was snowing last night. ick.

Oddly, though it was March and supposedly the rainy season, it was clear and beautiful most of the time I was there. (Maybe Seattle will do the same, eh?) I felt so stupid--I had brought a huge suitcase+more, not wanting to be caught unprepared halfway round the world, including a bunch of shoes, and I spent the whole time in my Birks. It will definitely be different next time.

Snow in April...damn, that's rough. I'm kind of pissed off it's only 52 degrees outside!