Demographics 1: Long Winters fan locales.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Your current base of operations is:

Canada
4
6%
Middle U.S. - north of the Mason-Dixon line
19
29%
Middle U.S. - south of the Mason-Dixon line
5
8%
East Coast U.S. (NYC to Miami urban corridor)
8
12%
West Coast U.S. (Seattle to San Diego urban corridor)
21
32%
Latin America
0
No votes
The British Isles (IONA: Great Britain, Ireland, Isle of Man)
2
3%
Continental Europe (Germany, France, the Lowlands, Scandinavia, former Soviet bloc)
3
5%
The Middle East (Israel, North Africa, Arabian & Persian states)
0
No votes
Asia (the Indian subcontinent to Japan)
0
No votes
Sub-saharan Africa (the jungle belt to South Africa)
1
2%
The Antipodes (Australia, Oceania, Polynesia)
3
5%
 
Total votes: 66

User avatar
grant
wears the boots
Posts: 1492
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:16 am
Current Heading: West
Location: peninsular america
Contact:

Post by grant »

heather wrote:
grant wrote:
heather wrote:i am from sub-saharan africa. it's true.


Really? I think the Long Winters would be well received in Cape Town. Is that where you are? Haven't been there in ages. Most of my relatives there have fled to happier climes, but not all... not all.


when the long winters played here a riot broke out. 9 camels died.

no joke.



My goodness. What were camels doing in Cape Town?
User avatar
Unremarkable
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am
Current Heading: East
Location: Kennewick?

Post by Unremarkable »

I'd like to know where the Long Winters fans representin' our neighbors to the North are. Come on Canucks! They just played a few shows up there, the least you could do is make your mark on the board.
User avatar
heather
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:58 pm
Location: the 206
Contact:

Post by heather »

I have no idea. The Long Winters boys rode them into town, pelting the children and elderly with small pieces of candy. One old man lost an eye. Then MacGyver jumped out of a basket and proceeded to mop the floor with John. Literally. Man, that floor was SO CLEAN!
User avatar
chelsea
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Queen Anne Hill
Contact:

Post by chelsea »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:i am in seattle, i was born in seattle, i was raised here and i have never lived anywhere else. i plan to never leave, i love it here. as my mom has said in regards to me, "i think you were born in the place you were meant to be".


that's totally awesome.

as for me...i am in seattle (well, france til august 11), i was raised in tacoma, and i have never lived anywhere but seattle or tacoma. i never want to leave seattle, i LOVE it here/there. i have thought to myself "i think i was born in the right part of the world"

=chelsea=
User avatar
Moni
Posts: 1757
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:18 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Musikverein

Re: where am i from? where am i now?

Post by Moni »

huck wrote:i'm from, in order:

beaufort, south carolina
portland, oregon
beeville, texas
quantico, virginia
yuma, arizona
iwakuni, japan
newport, rhode island
doylestown, pennsylvania
alexandria, virginia
newport, rhode island, redux


Whoa I’d say.
That’s one impressive list! let's say you're from japan, jsut for the heck of it.

Ms. Pete, my comment was directed towards the requiem, but goes for pretty much everything berlioz has ever written.

Interestingly, in German cross-country skiing translates into langlaufen. There’s that word again.
User avatar
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 8:34 am
Location: my desk
Contact:

Re: where am i from? where am i now?

Post by AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta »

Liz wrote:
huck wrote:i'm from, in order:

beaufort, south carolina
portland, oregon
beeville, texas
quantico, virginia
yuma, arizona
iwakuni, japan
newport, rhode island
doylestown, pennsylvania
alexandria, virginia
newport, rhode island, redux


Whoa I’d say.
That’s one impressive list! let's say you're from japan, jsut for the heck of it.


how about beaufort, s.c.? sounds kinda cool, like some weird backwoods place where you walk into a bar and suddenly see the future of rock'n'roll playing in front of five jeering rednecks. i'm all for beaufort, s.c.!

Ms. Pete, my comment was directed towards the requiem, but goes for pretty much everything berlioz has ever written.


right on! i Will give symphony fantastique another chance, tho... never give up on something your might have missed out! ;-)

Interestingly, in German cross-country skiing translates into langlaufen. There’s that word again.


well, but that comes from skiLAUFEN, doesn't it?! maybe we can come to the austro-german compromise that laufen refers to any kind of pedestrian method of propellation unless further specified by terms like gehen, rennen etc.?! after all a baby doesn't learn gehen, it learns laufen! HA! :-D

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta:cool:
User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3263
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Re: where am i from? where am i now?

Post by Liesbeth »

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:how about beaufort, s.c.? sounds kinda cool, like some weird backwoods place where you walk into a bar and suddenly see the future of rock'n'roll playing in front of five jeering rednecks. i'm all for beaufort, s.c.!

Seeing how it's on the list first, I think huck may have been slightly too young to attend such a cool show, unless we are really talking all-ages shows.

I'm also pretty impressed with beeville, quantico, yuma and doylestown. All of these sound wonderfully smalltown to me (probably someone will now inform me that Yuma is the third largest city in Arizona, or something like that).

I will have to make do with two brothers who were born in Scotland, going home for X-mas in New York the one year my parents lived there, plus living in Copenhagen, Denmark for 6 months and the French Alps for 5 months.
Not bad altogether for a girl who grew up in Apeldoorn. No future of rock'n roll ever came from that town, I assure you.
User avatar
grant
wears the boots
Posts: 1492
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:16 am
Current Heading: West
Location: peninsular america
Contact:

Post by grant »

heather wrote:I have no idea. The Long Winters boys rode them into town, pelting the children and elderly with small pieces of candy. One old man lost an eye. Then MacGyver jumped out of a basket and proceeded to mop the floor with John. Literally. Man, that floor was SO CLEAN!


Suddenly, I'm getting a sharp pain in my left knee. Perhaps you should pull more gently.
User avatar
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 8:34 am
Location: my desk
Contact:

Re: where am i from? where am i now?

Post by AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta »

Liesbeth wrote:
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:how about beaufort, s.c.? sounds kinda cool, like some weird backwoods place where you walk into a bar and suddenly see the future of rock'n'roll playing in front of five jeering rednecks. i'm all for beaufort, s.c.!

Seeing how it's on the list first, I think huck may have been slightly too young to attend such a cool show, unless we are really talking all-ages shows.


well his parents could have gone or something... i'm STILL for beaufort, s.c. at any rate!

I'm also pretty impressed with beeville, quantico, yuma and doylestown. All of these sound wonderfully smalltown to me (probably someone will now inform me that Yuma is the third largest city in Arizona, or something like that).


never heard of yuma, arizona, but it sounds smalltown to me, too. quantico is the hq of the fbi which is kinda cool really. anyway, we're still lacking intercourse, pennsylvania, on the list. and moscow, idaho of course. yes, both places do exist. josh ritter, greatest new singer-songwriter talent to emerge over the past year, is from moscow, idaho.

I will have to make do with two brothers who were born in Scotland, going home for X-mas in New York the one year my parents lived there, plus living in Copenhagen, Denmark for 6 months and the French Alps for 5 months.
Not bad altogether for a girl who grew up in Apeldoorn. No future of rock'n roll ever came from that town, I assure you.


not bad at all! and don't lose hope about the future of rock'n'roll. sure, who would have ever thought that the future of rock'n'roll would come from tupelo, mississipi or athens, georgia? there is hope yet for apeldoorn! besides it's a fuckin' cool name for a place. when i was a kid passing through apeldoorn on the train to schipol i always thought what a cool name for a place - i swear, even at the age of seven! apeldoorn rocks! just imagine: and now, ladies and gentlemen, straight from apeldoorn, *cheers* the netherlands *more cheers*: frau antje and the cheesemakers! *glastonbury is shaken in its foundations* i'd buy their album any day! *g*

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
User avatar
Moni
Posts: 1757
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:18 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Musikverein

Post by Moni »

And I'm at Frankfurt Aiport again...... heeeeeeeeeeeee.....
User avatar
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 8:34 am
Location: my desk
Contact:

Post by AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta »

Liz wrote:And I'm at Frankfurt Aiport again...... heeeeeeeeeeeee.....


talking about... did you ever buy that whiskey?

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
User avatar
huck
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:17 am
Location: just west of the number 15
Contact:

Post by huck »

yeah, you guys are right! all the towns in my list are small towns. however, most of them are located 20 minutes or less from major cities. for example, alexandria, va, is right outside d.c. doylestown, pa, is right outside philly. newport, ri, is near both providence and boston, etc.

so, i got both types of worlds growing up, which is a good way to do it, i think.

by the way, the branch of the armed forces was the marine corps. all those locations have either marine or naval air stations in them (my dad was an A-4 pilot). oh, and for the person interested in beaufort, sc, you can get an idea of all its swampy, marine corps glory if you rent the movie "the great santini" starring robert duvall. it's set in beaufort, and is about pat conroy's childhood with his father, a marine corps fighter pilot (though the book/movie is actually a work of fiction, the character of bull meechum was closely based on his dad).

good movie. though fortunately my dad was nothing like bull meechum when it came to parenting!

--huck
sara
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 11:04 am
Location: seattle
Contact:

Post by sara »

chelsea wrote:
A Brutaful Smile wrote:i am in seattle, i was born in seattle, i was raised here and i have never lived anywhere else. i plan to never leave, i love it here. as my mom has said in regards to me, "i think you were born in the place you were meant to be".


that's totally awesome.

as for me...i am in seattle (well, france til august 11), i was raised in tacoma, and i have never lived anywhere but seattle or tacoma. i never want to leave seattle, i LOVE it here/there. i have thought to myself "i think i was born in the right part of the world"

=chelsea=


i agree with you folks... i was raised in a small town right by mt rainier but i moved up to seattle about a year ago... and i love it here too... ive been all over the US and washington is nicest...
User avatar
Moni
Posts: 1757
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:18 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Musikverein

Post by Moni »

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:talking about... did you ever buy that whiskey?


mais oui. it made a nice b-day present...
User avatar
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 8:34 am
Location: my desk
Contact:

Post by AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta »

Liz wrote:
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:talking about... did you ever buy that whiskey?


mais oui. it made a nice b-day present...


cool! would you believe, i looked at the same stuff in a 0.75 bottle in an off licence the other day and it was 28 fuckin euro! you want a real good laugh? alright - the off licence was in clontarf! i love this country... *shrug*

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
User avatar
LikeAFox
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 9:36 am
Location: location location

Post by LikeAFox »

San Antonio, reprazent. To think, I was only 60 miles from G. Dubya's neck.
User avatar
Unremarkable
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am
Current Heading: East
Location: Kennewick?

Post by Unremarkable »

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:cool! would you believe, i looked at the same stuff in a 0.75 bottle in an off licence the other day and it was 28 fuckin euro! you want a real good laugh? alright - the off licence was in clontarf! i love this country... *shrug*


I'm sorry, but that was just gibberish.
User avatar
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 8:34 am
Location: my desk
Contact:

Post by AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta »

Unremarkable wrote:
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:cool! would you believe, i looked at the same stuff in a 0.75 bottle in an off licence the other day and it was 28 fuckin euro! you want a real good laugh? alright - the off licence was in clontarf! i love this country... *shrug*


I'm sorry, but that was just gibberish.


as this post was referring directly and clearly to the post by liz i quoted it was not, believe me. she knows precisely what i'm talking about and for a forum that is by its very definition miscellaneous in nature that should be quite enough really. if you wanted to dismiss all the stuff in this forum that's only interesting for one person as irrelevant or gibberish you could do away with at least 75% of it right now.

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta
User avatar
grant
wears the boots
Posts: 1492
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:16 am
Current Heading: West
Location: peninsular america
Contact:

Post by grant »

Unremarkable wrote:
AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta wrote:cool! would you believe, i looked at the same stuff in a 0.75 bottle in an off licence the other day and it was 28 fuckin euro! you want a real good laugh? alright - the off licence was in clontarf! i love this country... *shrug*


I'm sorry, but that was just gibberish.



Perhaps this will help:

0.75 bottle = three-quarters of a liter, a common measure for spirits. It is equivalent to a "fifth" in English measures.

off license = a liquor store, licensed to sell spirits that are not consumed on the premises.


28 fuckin euro = 28 units of the new "universal currency" of the European Union, the Euro. This sum is equivalent to $31.60 or £19.70. "Fuckin" is an expression commonly used in Irish conversation in much the same way butter (unsalted) is used in French cooking -- liberally, to add flavor regardless of content.


clontarf = a coastal suburb on the eastern side of the city of Dublin, south of St. Anne's Park, noted primarily as a launching point for medieval invasions of the island and as the birthplace of Bram Stoker (author) and Neil Jordan (director), and as a temporary home for Erwin Schrodinger (quantum physicist). There's more about Clontarf here.


In other words, in a liquor store in the sleepy waterfront suburb of Dublin, AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta found a fifth of the same whiskey for sale for $31.60... either far more or far less than it cost at the duty free shop in the Frankfurt Airport. I'd assume more, but one can never be sure.
User avatar
omphale
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: blue blue windows behind the stars

Post by omphale »

why is grant so cool?? can someone please explain this strange phenomena for me?
Post Reply