If you like the Long Winters, you'll like Rat Cat Hogan.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

heather

If you like the Long Winters, you'll like Rat Cat Hogan.

Post by heather »

It's true. So you should go see RCH play at the Croc on the 31st. It starts around 9:30, and it's the cheapest show in town at a measly $5. Andrea Maxand or Friends for Heroes mean anything to you? If so...GET YOUR HINEY TO THAT SHOW!

If you miss out on this, you don't REALLY love music. Or your mother.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

but i've seen rat cat hogan AND andrea maxand once before and don't like either. altho i'm pretty sure rch has changed TONS since i saw them about 5 years ago.

but i love my mom...and music! :)
heather

Post by heather »

wait. you don't like.... WHAT?

i'm sorry. you'll have to speak up. it sounded like you said something about selling your mom to the circus.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Rat Cat Hogan are what we in the music business call 'Awesome'. They may take a few listens, however, to fully 'grok'. Be not afraid.

Heather, play nice.
heather

Post by heather »

Sorry!

Sorry Jenn. I'm a bit of a bastard sometimes. I will play nice. I promise.
A Brutaful Smile

oh my gosh..both of you...what was the big deal? pppffftttt, that was nothing, i've taken much bigger hits than that. that had to have been about the nicest and funniest response i have ever recieved in reply to my not liking a band someone else does. so everybody just settle down, it's ok. my feathers are all still in their place.

...i still don't get rch tho. :)
heather

Post by heather »

John wrote: They may take a few listens, however, to fully 'grok'. Be not afraid.

What the heche is "grok"? Am I totally uncool for asking?
A Brutaful Smile

heather wrote:What the heche is "grok"? Am I totally uncool for asking?

no, i have no idea what the "heche" he's talking about either. thank you for being the one to ask.
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

quote:

To grok (pronounced GRAHK) something is to understand something so well that it is fully absorbed into oneself. In Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land, the word is Martian and literally means "to drink" but metaphorically means "to take it all in," to understand fully, or to "be at one with." Today, grok sometimes is used to include acceptance as well as comprehension - to "dig" or appreciate as well as to know.
As one character from Heinlein's novel says:

'Grok' means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed - to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science - and it means as little to us (because we are from Earth) as color means to a blind man.
In common usage, "Do you grok?" seems close in meaning to "Do you get it?"

unquote

thats a good word to know i suppose....
wonderbex

grok grok grok

Post by wonderbex »

waiting in fullness is.
jen

Post by jen »

Rat Cat Hogan?

'Rat Cat' (no Hogan with this one) were an early 90's band here in Australia that had a couple of big hits. Well, in this country anyway, which doesn't necessary mean they were any good.
They kind of looked like an Australian early 90's version of the Cure, but my memory could be a little off on that one.
I wonder if they reinvented themselves as 'Rat Cat Hogan' for the new Millenium?
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

LngHrvWntrsDngr wrote:quote:

To grok (pronounced GRAHK) something is to understand something so well that it is fully absorbed into oneself. In Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land, the word is Martian and literally means "to drink" but metaphorically means "to take it all in," to understand fully, or to "be at one with." Today, grok sometimes is used to include acceptance as well as comprehension - to "dig" or appreciate as well as to know.

Wow I never thought I'd ever meet someone who's read that book, too! :)

In this sense:
"Thou art God - but who isn't?"
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

no i didnt read any book...i just looked it up on google and thats what came up on my ever-so-faithful compy screen. I just had to write quote and unquote and i was set
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Hey, there's a blast from the past, Rat Cat.
They weren't that bad, or they wouldn't have gotten noticed in Europe. Although, maybe if I can track them down on my old tapes, I will find that they weren't so hot in hindsight...

John wrote:Rat Cat Hogan are what we in the music business call 'Awesome'.

Are these we in the music business very different from us mere mortals?
Or is there perhaps a secret pact between all those in the music business to like this particular band? Blimey, then they must be really good!
kiliki

Post by kiliki »

I second Heather's RCH plug...anyone in Seattle should especially catch this show since it will be their last for a very very long time, since one half of the band is moving to NYC.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Liz wrote:
LngHrvWntrsDngr wrote:quote:

Wow I never thought I'd ever meet someone who's read that book, too! :)

In this sense:
"Thou art God - but who isn't?"

I tried to read that book but got bored half-way through it, and couldn't finish it. Heinlein has written better stuff.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

We in the music business don't like to be questioned, Liesbeth. We also don't like olives, but we love chicken cordon bleu.
heather

Post by heather »

I'm thinking that those in the music business should watch out for those in the mafia. Yes John. THAT mafia.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

It’s kind of tiring at times, that’s true. (I have to say I read it when I was 18 and not very patient. Okay so I’m still not very patient)
Have you read “Farmers in the Sky”? I really liked that one.

We also don't like olives, but we love chicken cordon bleu.

Me neither/too! Does that mean I’m in the music business?
an abstersive

Post by an abstersive »

Liz wrote:Does that mean I’m in the music business?

well, if you have to ask..