more mournings

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

more mournings

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:24 am

This week, every day seems to bring more sad news. Now I hear that Johnny Cash had died. To me he was one the artists who built a bridge between traditional country and other musical genres. And that voice...

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:30 am

can't say i've ever actually been sad about the passing of an icon before this. but we knew it was coming. wasn't much reason for him to stick around without june...

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:51 am

Don't forget John Ritter, actor and son of Tex Ritter, the baritone (like Warren Zevon) who sang "Big Bad John."

Everything is connected.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:06 pm

Everything is connected.

Like in Magnolia...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:55 pm

God, that's depressing. He seemed so sad after June died. Johnny Cash is the only even remotely country music that I can listen to. Did anyone here like that cover he did of NIN's "Hurt"? I loved it.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:13 pm

to add to the fun, in the last 4 weeks 3 of my friends had theior grandmother's pass away. And another friend has to have exploratory surgery to see if he has cancer.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:46 am

wow, that makes it really close to home.
hope you can be of some help to your friends.

don't know if it amounts to anything, but I'm trying to send some positive energy out somehow. don't mean to be vague or hippy-spiritual, but I feel these kinda communities can help in some small way, by making one laugh for a moment, or think for a sec, or...
does this make sense?

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:01 am

certainly makes sense to me, liesbeth! :-) johnny is a sad loss. i saw it coming after june went, but that doesn't make it any less sad. his songs were probably my earliest musical experience, my dad used to sing them to me as lullabies and later taught me my first few guitar chords using his old cash 45's. still, johnny's back with june now, and i can just about hear them sing where did we go right - that's a comforting thought. don a white garment now, man in black, and twang your harp in the beyond like you twanged your guitar on earth. a bariton as rich and carrying as this doesn't just go, these long, slow soundwaves carry on and on, from here to there and back. good-bye johnny!

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Return to “Cattywampus”