Bands/singers you really tried to like - without success

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Does the dislike of the Police extend back to the first two albums? Synchronicity can be a hard row to hoe, but Outlandos d'Amour and Regatta de Blanc are, together, an entirely different thing.

Moving up the thread:
"Lisp Rock" irritates me to no end.

I'm unfamiliar with this term. It does sound unlikable.

Myself, I do have an acquaintance, a young lady, who would be thrilled speechless were I to accept a Christian hard rock band named Pigment into my heart of hearts. She was right about Pedro the Lion, but I'm afraid the Pigment experiment is doomed to failure. Most other things I can at the very least appreciate, even if ironically or cerebrally. Jungle techno, for example, fascinates me from an anthropological perspective, even if it leaves my soul feeling like it has been wrapped in clear plastic.
Sirius

Post by Sirius »

Oh man, Not a one of ya have mentioned this one yet, I'm suprised:

In highschool, on the insistence of a silly boy, I tried so very hard to apprectiate the "genius" of Phish......even saw them at the gorge. I still cringe at the thought of it.
Goldie

Re: great news

Post by Goldie »

sean wrote:up until last week, i would have said led zeppelin, but thanks to my band mates, i have now listened to "houses of the holy" all the way through twice and i actually genuinely liked it, except for the singing and the lyrics and (some of) the music.

A true Zep fan would never suggest Presence, but it's my fave. The cover art? The "object"? Come on! Ga-ga-gorgeous.

I'm going to go out on an unpopular limb and tell you my nominee for most overrated singer. In a word: Mr. Frances Albert Sinatra.

I said it. So lock me up.
Bel and the Dragon
Location: All up in yo face...somewhere in the vicinity of your grill piece

The Rat Pack is like family, capiche?

Post by Bel and the Dragon »

Dean had the voice, Frank had the attitude. Sammy had the moxie, while I'm fairly certain Peter and Joey were simply Yes Men who validated Frank's reasons for "taking care of someone".

I have to agree with Sean on the animosity towards Rush. Perhaps once Geddy Lee hits puberty it will become pleasing to the ear.

-Ian-
heathalouise

Post by heathalouise »

No matter how many times I try (I've even bought three of their records), I can't get into the Dismemberment Plan. My theory is that I'm "allergic." (How one can be "allergic" to a band, I don't know. But I am.) I've seen them a few times and watched everyone else rocking out, but I just don't get it.

I also have no tolerance for Low or Of Montreal (unless Kevin Barnes and co. are in '80s cover band mode), despite numerous attempts.

And don't get me started on Primus, Faith No More or other teenage boy dork metal. Although that should probably be filed under "music you pretended to like to impress a boy back in high school."
Bel and the Dragon
Location: All up in yo face...somewhere in the vicinity of your grill piece

Post by Bel and the Dragon »

Do you have 'Emergency and I'?

-Ian-
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Hahaha. I wasn't gonna post here because my ears are SO picky and weird about music that it says nothing to post my endless list of people's favorite bands that I don't like. It's not you, it's me.

But I absolutely have to thank Sean for admitting to disliking U2 (or most of it anyway).

I constantly, shamefully, hide the fact that I can't enjoy U2. I think I've given them about 200 chances, always in order please friends/boyfriends/family, but I can't even fake it. In college, a friend figured it out and told me in a completely calm, matter-of-fact tone, "You are the only person I have ever met who doesn't like U2. EVERYONE likes U2." So, ha. wrong. finally.

I do have to admit, however, that I love GnR and always will. Every Sunday morning my freshman year of college, our entire dorm woke up to Welcome to the Jungle at insane decibel levels. We then collectively cleaned up from Sat. Night.

How I do miss the glass-breaking-wall and the Schlitz mobiles. It was such a lovely fall from grace; I didn't feel a thing.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Re: great news

Post by grant »

Goldie wrote:I'm going to go out on an unpopular limb and tell you my nominee for most overrated singer. In a word: Mr. Frances Albert Sinatra.

I said it. So lock me up.

But, and this will sound like an odd question at first, which Sinatra?

There's actually a pattern to Sinatra's life that closely follows the Elvis pattern we're all familiar with: the plucky youngster, the cinematic heartthrob, and the over-ripe ham. For Elvis, this corresponds to the cities of Memphis, Malibu and Vegas; for Sinatra, it's a little less clear cut (since "New York" and "Broadway" aren't different cities but different states of mind). It always ends at Vegas.

There's something about the younger Sinatra that's undeniably appealing, in a pop-music sort of way. But there was some strange experimentalism going on at the juncture between his Hollywood incarnation and the inevitable slide to Vegas entertainer. The album he did with Rod McKuen is a gem. Can you picture him reading and singing these lyrics?
Excerpt:
Empty is the sky before the sun wakes up.
Empty is the eyes of animals in cages.
Empty, the faces of women mourning
When everything's been taken from them.

Me? Don't ask me about empty.

Unfortunately, this kind of project gets buried behind the bloated fanfare of "My Way" and "Come Fly With Me."
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

I don't even know where to start....

First, I think Sean is crazy. The end. W/the bands he mentioned disliking and hating he is certifiable.

For those who don't like Rush, how could you?!??!? That band is genius. GENIUS I TELL YA! I saw them once, it was amazing.

I liked Faith No More back in the day. I even met them once at a Tower signing. Funny thing is, I never once saw them in concert.

It's not that I never liked U2 or that I hate them, but for some reason they now really get on my nerves and I can't listen to them really at all anymore. If I hear a song on the radio, I lunge to change it.

Other "bands" I don't get...I can't stand Alicia Keys. I don't get it, what's so great about her? (also include any other female singer like her, i hate them all)