liberry!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

smelllikelime

liberry!

Post by smelllikelime »

So I'm thinking of finally getting to the library today to return my month overdue books (Yeah, I know, that's pretty bad, isn't it? I think I'm physically incapable of returning a book or video or doing anything really on time.)

What do you think I should get?

I'm already planning on getting:

Sandman comics, I've read volume II and it was wonderful, so I really want to see more. Yay Neil Gaiman.

Against Love by Laura Kipnis. I read a really interesting interview here so thought I'd see how the book is.

I'm not really sure what I'm in the mood for, but I know I'm definately not in the mood for anything too depressing or angsty.

Tee hee, that one episode of the Simpsons where Homer got that crayon taken out of his brain was on last night:
"Anyone up for a trip to the library tomorrow? Notice I didn't say 'liberry' or 'tomorrey!' "
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

Might I suggest anything by Bret Easton Ellis?

I might!

(American Psycho, Rules of Attraction, Glamorama, Less than Zero...)
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

NatureBoy wrote:Might I suggest anything by Bret Easton Ellis?

I might!

(American Psycho, Rules of Attraction, Glamorama, Less than Zero...)

Hmmm ::rubs chin:: I really liked American Psycho and Less Than Zero, the movies, so I bet the books must be pretty darn good. (And I'm not saying I thought Rules of Attraction and Glamorama sucked, because I haven't actually seen those.)

I've been meaning to tell you and now's a good a time as any, I really love your icon! (Avatar, dealiewhopper, whatever.)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I suggest Life of Pi by Yann Martel. If your liberry doesn't have it yet, I guaruntee you won't be dissapointed by The Secret History by Donna Taart, or anything written by Italo Calvino.

If you like nonfiction, I was actually physically incapable of putting down The Botony of Desire by Michael Pollan, which is an argument about how plants "use" human desires (for, say, intoxication or beauty) to succeed at the survival game.

I DO NOT reccommend, "Barron's How to Prepare for the GRE test" It's the worst. blech.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

anything by both/either amy or david sedaris is a breeze, and is guaranteed to make you smile while reading. i've embarrassed myself by giggling in public while reading Naked. but then again, i laugh heartily outloud when i read the Onion too. i'm one of those people.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

A collection of the writings of GK Chesterton. If you enjoy the character "Gilbert" in the "Cereal Convention" Sandman arc, you are guaranteed to enjoy GK Chesterton, since they are, in fact, one and the same.
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

I've been meaning to tell you and now's a good a time as any, I really love your icon!

Thanks! I made it myself!
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: liberry!

Post by Liesbeth »

Who needs books, when you can have moving images instead?
Okay some may find Tarantino depressing or angsty, but when violence is stylized to this extent... His new film Kill Bill is coming soon, I just downloaded the trailer on the kill-bill.com website. Violent, but smooth. And so is Uma Thurman, of course.

Definitely depressing and angsty, but in my opinion also an intriguing book that is bound to challenge your ideas is Alexander Stuart's The War Zone. There is a film based on it (which, guess what, is depressing and angsty) but that has rather a different ending. Don't know if it is available in The States, since it is a british book, but our local library has it, so who knows.

For light reading: Hi Fidelity by Nick Hornby, or anything else by him.
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

there is always Harry Potter to rock your world...
Midori

Post by Midori »

smelllikelime wrote:Notice I didn't say 'liberry' or 'tomorrey!' "

This may be a little late, but HAHAHA!
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

LngHrvWntrsDngr wrote:there is always Harry Potter to rock your world...

Harry Potter has rocked my world at least 20 times. And I've read all the books, too! (ba dum ching!) (Yeah, I know, keep my day job.)
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

NatureBoy wrote:Thanks! I made it myself!

sweet! Gotta love that photoshop.
Midori

Post by Midori »

Oh he's holding the CD! That's awesome!
I am so slow......
sean
consigliere

Post by sean »

ian mcewan:

atonement
black dogs
enduring love
the child in time

joan didion:

the white album
slouching towards bethlehem
play it as it lays
run river
the last thing he wanted

philip roth:

sabbath's theater
operation shylock
the counterlife
the ghost writer
zuckerman unbound
the anatomy lesson
the prague orgy
patrimony
portnoy's complaint
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Sean, do you have something against Goodbye, Columbus?

Chapter One. The first time I met Brenda she asked me to hold her glasses...
sean
consigliere

hells naw

Post by sean »

for the record:

the only philip roth novels i don't like are "letting go," "when she was good," "our gang," and "the great american novel."

i love "goodbye, columbus." i even have the (japanese import only) sountrack by the association. and an LP called Larry Storch reads Philip Roth. and a huge welt on my forehead from being such an effing nerd.
heather

Post by heather »

smelllikelime wrote:
Sandman comics, I've read volume II and it was wonderful, so I really want to see more. Yay Neil Gaiman.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the sandman comics. have you ever seen the one where the main guy has mouths for eyes? i can't remember the name of it.. and he eats peoples' eyes [little boys eyes, especially, if not.. that's just my twisted imagination filling in] not with his mouth, but with the mouths that are in his eye sockets. it's totally sweet. anyone know the name of that one?
Midori

Re: hells naw

Post by Midori »

sean wrote: and a huge welt on my forehead from being such an effing nerd.

If nerdiness gave you welts, this board would be a goddamn leper colony. Revel in it, we dig that sort of thing around these parts.

EDIT: I mean this in the most geek-philic way possible. Truly. How else could I use a word like geek-philic?
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

heather wrote:i LOVE LOVE LOVE the sandman comics. have you ever seen the one where the main guy has mouths for eyes? i can't remember the name of it.. and he eats peoples' eyes [little boys eyes, especially, if not.. that's just my twisted imagination filling in] not with his mouth, but with the mouths that are in his eye sockets. it's totally sweet. anyone know the name of that one?

Hmmm, definitely rings a bell. If it was in the volume II collection, then I've seen it. Or maybe that character has made cameos in other Neil books.

I still haven't gone to the library yet.
Mite

Post by Mite »

Right now the books I've finally gotten around to reading are:

Everything is Illuminated, Jonathan Saffman Foer - Fantastic, and the guy's only 24. Therefore I hate him.

I Have Landed, Stephen Jay Gould - I'm certainly no natural historian, but these essays are relevant and accessible (and brilliant).

Collected Stories of Phillip K. Dick - Because I'm just not nerdy enough.