peanut-butter toast

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:22 am

heather wrote:also, prairie fires are only good for 21st birfdays. [yes, BIRFDAYS] there's nothing like handing over the shotglass to your trusting friend with a "happy birfday" and a smile.

I'll have to remember that. Only 6 months away!

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:56 pm

I'm a big fan of peanut butter on almost anything, especially crunchy peanut butter.

But have you ever been to rochester NY? And if so, have you had a garbage plate? those are the most disgusting things ever.

Check out the grossness

smelllikelime

Postby smelllikelime » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:18 pm

I live in Southern California and I totally live up to the stereotype of loving anything with tofu, brown rice, PROTEIN SHAKES, whole wheat, organic, blah blah. I eat a lot of crap to balance it out, though.

My views on:

Eggs and ketchup: really yummy. I used to think it was really gross, I'm not sure what changed my mind.

Peanut butter toast: mmmmm. I actually had that nearly everyday last week, because I haven't been grocery shopping in ages and I couldn't have my usual cereal and fruit. I also like peanut butter and jelly toast. And butter and jelly on an english muffin, but that's pretty common, isn't it?

French fries go well with just about anything if you ask me. Ketchup, ranch dressing, mayo, vanilla shakes, barbeque sauce, sweet and sour sauce, chocolate. I love mixing something warm and salty with something sweet, popcorn/chocolate, potatoe chips/chocolate, hehe.

Some people put chocolate sauce on salads and I just don't know about that. I once tried (at camp, we were bored and.. yeah) egg rolls and this chocolate sauce we'd started making from powdered hot chocolate mix and it was actually really good.

My mom was from a farm in Louisiana and good god she liked the grossest stuff. She said she craved fried possum when she was pregnant with my sister. I'm very thankful we never had that. She liked to make meatloaves with hardboiled eggs inside. Ohh, I just remembered, I would have cornedbeef hash fried with eggs when I was little. My mom wasn't much of a cook and I mainly had a lot of McDonald's and cheap restaurant food until I discovered health food at 13 and started making my own.

Damn, I'm really hungry now!

LngHrvWntrsDngr

Postby LngHrvWntrsDngr » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:35 pm

how can u be hungry after mentioning fried possum?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:34 am

I hear it tastes like chicken.

Really dirty, ugly chicken.

omphale

Postby omphale » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:55 am

do people still actually eat fried possum?? I mean, other than crack-smoking hippie weirdos from arkansas like my mom's x-husband Willie??

I feel like this could take the discussion in an entirely different direction...myabe i'll start a new thread...

anyway, how about the cream cheese and jelly? anybody else do that? are you from the east coast or what?

so, garbage plate looks kinda like 'chef's choice' when the chef is in a really bad mood. or when the cafe is 2 days from declaring bankruptcy.

fries with parmesan cheese sounds great, but i'm not sure about adding the ketchup...

now, onward to the 'roadkill' portion of the show....

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:14 am

Liz wrote:- I don’t really remember where fries with mayo are common

It's in Pulp Fiction and true: fries with mayonaise is a Dutch thing. In fact, you can tell where in Europe you are from your fries:
-Belgium: sauce tartare (gross)
-Denmark: remoulade (double gross)
-UK: vinegar (triple gross)
-France: baguette & fries (thoroughly wonderful, although it took some getting used to)

When I was in Northern Ireland, I met a guy from Texas who had discovered brown sauce and put it on everything. He didn't finish that bowl of cereal with chocolate milk and brown sauce, though...

Am I mistaken or is apple pie to be found everywhere? It is in my stomach right now, mmm, nice!

smelllikelime

Postby smelllikelime » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:32 pm

omphale wrote:do people still actually eat fried possum?? I mean, other than crack-smoking hippie weirdos from arkansas like my mom's x-husband Willie??

anyway, how about the cream cheese and jelly? anybody else do that? are you from the east coast or what?

I have noooo idea about the people still eating fried possum thing. I'm sure there are some people out there living in the mountains, marrying their sisters and having fresh possum at the wedding reception.

The whole half of my family on my mom's side is seriously weird (and don't even get me started on the father's half, I hope they never find me!), I'm probably lucky I wasn't born with any extra digits. And I've heard (I haven't checked to see if it's really true, though) that I'm related to those killers in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Cream cheese and jelly is one of my favorites! I thought I mentioned it in my last post even. (That's it, a trip to the grocery store is in order.)

LoveSickJerk wrote:I hear it tastes like chicken.

Awwww, possums are so cute! I had a pet one for a while, until it got huge and wild and disappeared one day. Maybe my mom ate it!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:29 pm

BladeRunner wrote:
John wrote:Fries and gravy is a Canadian staple.
I believe it's called poutine

Ah yes, poutine. I remember hearing of this delicacy during the 2000 presidential election. Rick Mercer, posing as a canadian reporter, told GW that Prime Minister Jean Poutine endorsed his run. Bush beamed and responded excitedly about the endorsement. HAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, and speaking of cheese fries, have y'all heard of the newest heart attack to come out of the Chi? Why, we've gotten rid of the vegetable part altogether, mixed cheese with beef and deep fried it. Cheeseburger fries. I'm sure they will be available in your neck of the woods soon, probably covered in more cheese. read all about it:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/23/news/funny/beef_fries/

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:31 am

smelllikelime wrote:The whole half of my family on my mom's side is seriously weird (and don't even get me started on the father's half, I hope they never find me!), I'm probably lucky I wasn't born with any extra digits.

Did ya'll know the gene that causes the 6th finger is Dominant? As is the Curly Hair gene.

Cheeseburger fries? sweet jeebus that sounds disgusting.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:13 pm

In many a 24-hr NYC diner, one can buy "disco fries." Disco fries are gravy fries with cheese on them (this is similar to poutine, but not identical). Cheese fries with gravy on them. Whatever. DISCO FRIES. I thought it was the grossest thing ever, but then I read this thread. Chocolate sauce on SALAD?

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/article.asp?ArtID=5143

More than you needed to know about disco fries and their variants.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:07 pm

disco fries. awesome.

I think it's funny that everyone is grossed out by stuff like ketchup and eggs, or plates where the food is touching the other food. In other countries they eat bugs, organs, blood, monkey brains, food that is still alive, etc.

We are WUSSES. WUSS WUSS WUSS. We are really wussed out.

LngHrvWntrsDngr

Postby LngHrvWntrsDngr » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:13 pm

someone was telling me a while ago about their trip to china, and a restraunt they went to where one of the most special dishes was the brains of a monkey that they took from the live monkey right at your table. Sometimes gross food goes to downright cruel and wrong wrong wrong. Be a wuss! save the monkeys!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:54 pm

yeah, I agree. Monkies, doggies and bears are strictly for entertainment, not for eating...alive or dead. I just wanted to quote the King Missle song.

It was not fun being a wuss, and even now,
Now that I'm not nearly as much of a wuss as I once was,
I still feel kind of wussy from time to time:
Residual wussiness-
The kind of thing you can never really leave behind.
That's the way it goes.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:40 pm

my mother went on a business trip to Singapore a long time ago, and besides bring home several pirated CD-ROM's containing Office 2000 (it was that long ago), she also had the pleasure of dining out. One of her more prominate memories, is being offered to suck the gonads out off a crab. After declining, the offer-er shrugged, and began sucking the gonads out himself.

heather

Postby heather » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:01 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:I hear it tastes like chicken.

Not to get entirely off topic of crab genitals, but I read "children" instead of "chicken".

Go back and read the quote above, substituting "children" for "chicken".

HILARIOUS.

ChadyzGroove

Postby ChadyzGroove » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:07 am

i eat my meats with jelly
ketchup on eggs is sick
same with peanut butter on toast

oh, and i hate chicken on a bone

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:17 am

yes, but how do you feel about crab genitals?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:42 am

Personally i'm not a fan of crab-or any crustacean's- genitals. However, chicken on a bone i can live with. Otherwise i wouldn't be Buffalonian.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Re: peanut-butter toast

Postby grant » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:38 am

omphale wrote: B)help me compile a fascinating little list of strange american regional food dogma.

On Cedar Key, an island off the west coast of central Florida, they still serve a local delicacy -- green peanut butter ice cream salads. With lettuce and fresh hearts of palm.

There's a discussion of them here, at roadfood.com and in the sidebar here.

Return to “Cattywampus”