Friendster

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:25 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote: people i am no longer friends w/or date, i am able to still know what they are up to w/o even ever speaking to them again. and really, i don't like that.

huh? This confuses me. It's not like the Internet is so small that you find yourself always bumping into them at the virtual grocery store. If you don't want to know what's up with them, don't webstalk them.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:01 pm

Betty Felon wrote:huh? This confuses me. It's not like the Internet is so small that you find yourself always bumping into them at the virtual grocery store. If you don't want to know what's up with them, don't webstalk them.

i'm talking about when you are on the same message board as someone else or something such as that. i meant somewhere that you would still possibly cross paths.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:38 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote: i'm talking about when you are on the same message board as someone else or something such as that.

well, maybe if you don't bring up our failed love in a public forum, moving on will be easier for the both of us! always airing our dirty laundry....

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:05 am

virtual grocery store

It is it is it is. I tend to always bump into the same people, everywhere. The internet is a huge virtual grocery store, and Friendster is the frozen meant-aisle.

Meg, I'd love to be your high-fiving activity partner. Now if I'd only live a few thousand miles closer to NY.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:39 pm

Look, meet me in virtual aisle 6 and we'll virtually high-five.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:45 pm

hmmmmm..... I never run into anyone I know online. (Unless y'all are really my friends and neighbors posting under pseudonyms and claiming to be from all over the world. In which case it's possible that I'm on some sort of hidden camera/reality television series. AHHHH! I hope no one is watching me!)

As for those of you who aren't getting your high-five needs met, might I suggest a saavy marketing strategy? At the next LW show I suggest you raise the perceived value of your high-fives by charging for them. $12 each, comes with a free LW cd. (You might want to sell hugs in the midwest...accounting for regional taste.)

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:17 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote:and here is something i have always found interesting yet upsetting at the same time about the internet in general. people i am no longer friends w/or date, i am able to still know what they are up to w/o even ever speaking to them again. and really, i don't like that.

hmm. my strangely inverted sense of humor doesnt translate well on message boards. what i really meant is that i really don't like knowing that if it's this easy for me to find out information about the current book/music preferences and relationship status ofpeople i no longer want any connection to, just think how simple it is for them to find said information about me.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:10 pm

mildlyrestarted wrote:well, maybe if you don't bring up our failed love in a public forum, moving on will be easier for the both of us! always airing our dirty laundry....

i don't know what else to do. you won't return my phone calls or my emails. if you would just talk to me then i wouldn't have to do these such things!

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:13 pm

Betty Felon wrote:hmmmmm..... I never run into anyone I know online.

you are kidding me? i don't see how that is possible. or i guess i can, but most of the people i know and are friends w/have many of the same interests as i so we are usually in the same communities and such on line. and some of them are the ones who introduced me to certain sites so of course i cross paths w/them in those places.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:15 pm

omphale wrote:hmm. my strangely inverted sense of humor doesnt translate well on message boards. what i really meant is that i really don't like knowing that if it's this easy for me to find out information about the current book/music preferences and relationship status ofpeople i no longer want any connection to, just think how simple it is for them to find said information about me.

i know exactly what you mean. i have had things quoted back at me from sites i'm on and been shocked at who the hell has been paying attention. and of course been somewhat uncomfortable about it.

heather

Postby heather » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:31 pm

do i need to tell you two to "play nice"?

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:35 am

so why the fuck are we all on friendster (well most of us here seem to be)? we're all on there because someone invited us thinking it was a great idea at the time. and then we invited people and so on. and of the people i've invited so far only one person had sense enough not to take up the invitation. still, everyone else did take it up. so there, there is obviously something very attractive about the concept as such. the only thing is that the guys behind it haven't got it to work properly yet. and i'll tell yis why now: the thing lacks a chat! i mean, how do you meet people? in chat of course! so if there was a chat you could actually go there and say great things like oh, so you're so and so's friend. yeah, you sound cool. or exchange cooking recipes. or do really weird and bizarre things of all kinds. the point is - i once actually tried to contact someone on friendster and never got an answer. why? because there is not facility to actually TALK! at some point, via snowball effect, the entire population is gonna be on friendster and we're all gonna sit there wondering why the fuck we're all there. methinks i should start another badoing badoing action there. the last time i did i got two answers, woohoo! still don't see why friendster is the frozen meat aisle. in the frozen meat aisle people talk. friendster is the feminine hygiene and medical supplies aisle. no one talks while buying condoms. i tend to run into people in the most unlikely places. the other day i ran into a murmursian in a forum that didn't even have to do with music...

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

ChadyzGroove

Postby ChadyzGroove » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:51 am

i'm only on friendster, cuz i am a sad sad lonely man, or boy.

wonderbex

hmmm, friendster

Postby wonderbex » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:34 am

i'm quite partial to friendster, and not just because 8.5 of my 15 minutes were used up by a story about Friendster on world news tonight ... i think the greatest thing about Friendster is that it proves that we really are all connected, that the six degrees theory is completely right, that our e-relationships really enhance the global village concept. for a little while i was convinced that we could use Friendster to change the world, by injecting memes out to our 'networks' that could do something rad. like if we all decided to buy ziggy stardust next friday, we'd totally spike bowie's album sales, and then the media-type people in our networks could write stories or do segments about the rise in bowie's popularity and he'd be all over the media and then non-network people would want to latch onto to the bowie renaissance and they'd all go out and buy bowie albums.

or we could raise the global profile and CD sales of anyone we wanted to ... like if i could convince all 2 million people in my network to buy a long winters album, that would be ... um ... 2 million CDs sold. which is double platinum. not like record sales *matter* but, yeah. you know.

or if everyone agreed to use the term 'worming out' as a euphemism for 'having sex' and we all stuck to it and suddenly that term penetrated the vernacular and then jennifer aniston said it on Friends (because surely someone in someone's friendster network writes for Friends) and then the whole world would start saying it. i'm just jealous that SNL and the Simpsons get to launch all the catchphrases; i was thinking a grassroots approach would be fun.

or we could use our networks for political purposes and lead the campaign to disarm the world's nukes. or impeach so-called prexy bush. people have the power, yo, that's all i'm saying.

but then again, Friendster is so six months ago. and its street cred is gone. but it was fun when it was new and exciting and i think that the whole testimonial phenomenon made everyone a little happier.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:43 am

I also read an article about Friendster in a magazine (actually it was a bout the German clone myfriends.de), and they cited someone saying “Friendster is so great! It’s like eBay for people!!”
Well...

i think that the whole testimonial phenomenon made everyone a little happier.

Yes. Very happy. Actually, i am bugging out with happiness! I just can't show it!

Return to “Cattywampus”