The Strokes - Room On Fire

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Damien_82

The Strokes - Room On Fire

Postby Damien_82 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:53 pm

Has anyone around here bought or listened to this album? I don't watch much TV, but it seems that this album (and the band in general) is being hyped quite a bit. In any case, I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:10 pm

Strokes are to hype as peas are to carrots.

That being said, no, I haven't heard the new one yet, but I liked their first one, so who knows?

I haven't even heard all of the single off of it.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:11 pm

I haven't heard their new stuff, but I didn't like their previous record. Unimpressive.

heather

Postby heather » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:09 pm

The new album is AWESOME.

Midori

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:40 pm

I haven't heard it really, but they're on Conan every Tuesday this month, and I gots to have my Conan, so I've heard a little of it. Good stuff so far.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:01 pm

I have problems with the Strokes. My first instinct is that I like them... the singer is doing something very right, there's plenty good catchy hookiness. But after two or three very enjoyable listens...the oversimpleness of the songs becomes obvious and oppressive. Does anyone else have that problem?

(I'm not sure why this happens with the Strokes, and not with the Long Winters, who have stated that songs like "It Be a Breeze" are only four chords. )

From what I've heard of the new album, it sounds much the same as the old one. "I Can't Wait", for instance, sounds like "Someday" and "Last Night" smushed together.

heather

Postby heather » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:04 am

AWESOME.

defrocked

Postby defrocked » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:57 pm

Gonna have to agree. AWESOME indeed.

sean
consigliere

for my part

Postby sean » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:57 am

i recently decided to stop pretending i hate the strokes. haven't heard the new record yet, though.

Damien_82

Postby Damien_82 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:17 am

I'll say that I understand how some might dislike the simplicity, but like I said in another thread, isn't all pop music relatively simple? I think that arguing to what degree this band's music (or any band's music for that matter) is simple is pointless. I agree it has plenty of catchy hookiness (which is pleasant on the ear). Probably too much. It's fun to listen to, and I enjoy their sound. It's very much like the first album. I would have prefered that they pushed their limits and tried some different things, but maybe the record wouldn't have been as good.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:26 am

Yes, I agree that pop music is generally simple. And I don't think it's a bad thing at all...one can argue that certain Mozart minuets are simple. In fact-- ideas, music, words, etc. should probably be as free from needless ornamentation as possible

I'm not sure what it is exactly that makes one bands simple tunes appealing and another's boring. As I said, I almost always like a Strokes song at first, then my ear starts to find it plain, or boring...or something. I don't know if its even the melodies...maybe it's the rhythym section.

omphale

Postby omphale » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:28 am

there is a certain type of music (and the strokes fits into this category for me) that really helps me not stress out about things like driving in heavy fog, or the 5 or so children that seem to be always screeching through my apartment, or whiny boyfriend-types complaining about my lack of availability by keeping that stressed out part of my brain busy with super happy pop hooks. it's a beautiful thing.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:06 pm

omphale wrote:there is a certain type of music (and the strokes fits into this category for me) that really helps me not stress out about things

they are great for not thinking, just booty-shaking. for sure.
also, has anyone noticed that they are on the cover of EVERY SINGLE MUSIC PUBLICATION IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE this month? it's true.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:10 pm

i saw the strokes last week, and it was a bit saggy. the venue was too big, not that it wasn't full of peeps, but it was like they couldn't fill it with sound. it had a couple of moments, and that was all. i really liked the Kings of Leon, tho-they reminded me an aweful lot of the Neats from Boston circa '84-'90. i loved that band, but no one except joe harvard seems to remember them.

oh and for y'all barsuk types, i caught Death Cab n Nada Surf last night-tasty. Matthew is a very nice young man.

heather

Postby heather » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:59 pm

i work with the biggest strokes fan ever, so if there is anyone who is a true judge of whether the new album is good or not, it's me. he played it MULTIPLE times a day for at least a month before it came out. IT IS AWESOME. accept it. you can hate the strokes, but you can't hate that album. BECAUSE IT FUCKING ROCKS.

the end.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:03 pm

I saw the Strokes at JFK, waiting to pick up their bags at the Jet Blue luggage area, and let me tell you they looked cool as hell.

Midori

Postby Midori » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:57 pm

John wrote:I saw the Strokes at JFK, waiting to pick up their bags at the Jet Blue luggage area, and let me tell you they looked cool as hell.

I bet they said the same thing about you.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:24 am

I hear Julian Casablancas was briefly/forcibly removed from a recent Brooklyn-style Guided By Voices show for smoking indoors. The friendly Polish bouncers let him come back when he was done.

See, The Strokes are people, just like you and I.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:39 pm

Overheard at the bar:

A football-fan-jock and a fashion hipster meet.

jock kid: Hey man, are you in The Strokes?
Fashionister: No.
Jock: Oh, cuz you look like a stroke.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:55 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Overheard at the bar:

A football-fan-jock and a fashion hipster meet.

jock kid: Hey man, are you in The Strokes?
Fashionister: No.
Jock: Oh, cuz you look like a stroke.

hahahahaha.

Return to “Cattywampus”