An identical thread has already been started on the Barsuk board, I'm trying to keep my mind off the fact that I just flew across the country on Thanksgiving only to be dumped like a little bitch, and we all know that the InterWeb is an easy, wonderful way to shove yr opinion down the throat of the masses, so:
BEST RECORDS OF 2003. GO.
Expound on the best songs of the year, if you're feeling frisky. If this thread exists elsewhere and the cold medicine and tear-soaked eyes have blinded me to it, please feel free to deliver me a swift kick in the binary head.
I have a top 25 for both, but I'll spare you the latter and say that the best song of the year is probably "Young Liars" by TV on the Radio. Goddamn, I said: goddamn.
Here's the big 2-5 insofar as albums go, listed alphabetically because I'm a procrastinating bastard and usually can't wrap the actual top 10 until spring of the following year.
- · Arab Strap | Monday at the Hug & Pint
· Azure Ray | Hold on Love
· Beulah | Yoko
· the Bloodthirsty Lovers | the Bloodthirsty Lovers
· Cass McCombs | A
· Crooked Fingers | Red Devil Dawn
· Death Cab for Cutie | Transatlanticism
· the Decemberists | Castaways & Cutouts
· Dirty Three | She Has No Strings Apollo
· Firewater | the Man on the Burning Tightrope
· Fountains of Wayne | Welcome Interstate Managers
· Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter | Reckless Burning
· the Long Winters | When I Pretend to Fall
· Nada Surf | Let Go (debate about the actual release date of this record here)
· the New Pornographers | Electric Version
· Okkervil River | Down the River of Golden Dreams
· the Pernice Brothers | Yours, Mine & Ours
· the Postal Service | Give Up
· the Shins | Chutes Too Narrow
· Skating Club | Bugs & Flowers
· Songs: Ohia | Magnolia Electric Company
· Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks | Pig Lib
· Ted Leo/Pharmacists | Hearts of Oak
· the Twilight Singers | Blackberry Belle
· the Wrens | the Meadowlands