Covers

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Covers

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:11 pm

Giving 'Freebird' a rest (please), what are the most memorable covers you've heard a band play?

I haven't heard too many at the shows I've been to; most recently DCFC played a great cover of "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty, and I'll never forget Sean's rendition of "Outshined" at the Croc. And "Only Living Boy in New York" still gives me chills every time I hear it...

What are some others that you've heard local bands play (and play well)?

Let's not make this thread one about what we want a particular band to cover, I think that subject has been discussed enough already...

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:42 pm

HAD played the Immigrant Song at their show last Friday night. It was accurate, and very good.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:05 pm

I love it when punk bands cover pop songs. The cover I remember best was Down by Law doing the most awesome version of that "I would walk 10,000 miles" song...including cracking up in the middle of it.

I like a number of the Me First and the Gimme Gimmes covers better than the originals....especailly Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl".

I have not (and probably would never) see Fiona Apple live, but her version of "Across the Universe" is gorgeous.

And also, I think No Doubt did a great job covering of "It's my Life". Talk Talk needs more recognition.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:35 pm

Earlier this year I saw Clem Snide covering Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" (they've since released an EP with this cover). Not hugely remarkable, except that a young man who had come only for the opening act (and had been drinking heavily) took that opportunity to barrel to the front of the crowd and pump his fist, ever-so-earnestly-in-time. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I like it when Mike Doughty plays "Looks" and when The Mountain Goats play "Terror Song," both covers but integrated into their repertoires so that a body might not know they were covers.

(This is Heather's cue to bring up "The Face That Launched 1000 Shits.")

The Breeders covering the theme from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." YES.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:02 pm

NYE 99-00: Barenaked Ladies opened the show in tuxes with an acoustic version of "Careless Whisper". Phenomenal cover, and phenomenal show.

Local Band More Than Me do a nice version of the original "Summertime", written by gershwin. I think.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:15 pm

Karousme wrote:HAD played the Immigrant Song at their show last Friday night. It was accurate, and very good.

That was sooooo cool! Perfect way to cap an amazing show!

All of you should pick up HAD's LP: Primo De La Rocketsuit. It is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. www.hadmusic.com or check out the demo corner on the Barsuk site, HAD was the first band to be featured there.

heather

Postby heather » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:23 pm

Granted I've never heard the ORIGINAL version, but Death Cab's cover of 'The Face That Launched 1000 Shits' [Jay Chilcote of the Hydra] is awesome. Yes.

I love love love love Further Seems Forever's cover of 'Bye Bye Bye' [Nsync in the hizzle].

Every song that Black Nite Crash played last Wednesday at the Indie Rock/New Wave show [Chop Suey. Please see someone who was not drinking and attended the show for more information.]

omphale

Postby omphale » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:58 am

fluffers union does a truly lovely cover of steely dan's 'dirty work'. i don't think it gets much better than that.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:01 am

Dismemberment Plan, covering Avril Lavigne's "sk8ter boi"

The best part about it, was because they got about halfway into the "Ok Joke's Over," right about the part where they break and the bass comes back in, when they start the song. Hilarious stuff.

heather

Postby heather » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:46 pm

the plan's rendition over the rainbow/no more drama during ok jokes over at the skychurch. DAMN! that's all i have to say.

Damien_82

Postby Damien_82 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:46 pm

I just recorded a cover of "Gagging Order" with a friend of mine.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:39 am

Last night Kelly Hogan covered Outkast's "hey ya". She sang it super slow and claimed it was the saddest song on the radio this year, possibly in the last five years. It was AWESOME.

She also covered a very beautiful song from the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer animated special from the 70s, but I don't know the name.

Thumbs up to covers.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:35 pm

Clem Snide covering Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful", I saw that too. And I also saw Ben Lee cover it which was good as well.

Carrisa's Weird covering Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" was fantastic. They made that song beautiful.

Common Heroes cover The Beatle's "Come Together" and it totally rocks.

This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Midori

Postby Midori » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:40 pm

I heard Audioslave cover White Stripes' Seven Nation Army. Man, they played the shit out of that song. Better than the White Stripes ever could.

call me stupid

Postby call me stupid » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:32 pm

A local band near the town where I go to college called October(keep your ears open for them!!!) do an awesome cover of "rape me" by Nirvana.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:51 pm

I've got a sweet live version of Harvey Danger covering Flock of Seagulls' "I Ran". For that matter, Death Cab's (with Sean Nelson on vocals) cover of Creedence Clearwater's "Fortunate Son" is ace too.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:50 am

Oh oh oh oh oh that reminds me--also on that compilation with the Creedence cover (Don't Know When I'll Be Back Again) is The Reputation covering Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth." It's really, really beautiful.

Damien_82

Postby Damien_82 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:30 pm

Isn't "Save It For Later" a cover? Great tune.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:49 pm

I love Neil Young's 'Cinamon Girl' as the bridge for 'Cinnamon'...not enough love is given to Neil Young!

The time/tempo change is something to behold live. I can't believe they keep the train on the tracks...I commend the metronomic Michael Shilling!

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:24 pm

Damien_82 wrote:Isn't "Save It For Later" a cover? Great tune.

That is a great tune. English Beat song (also well-covered by Pete Townshend). Pick up EB's "What is Beat?" if you can find it. I think it's (inexplicably) out of print.

(And "Save it for Later" only needs three chords, Mr. Roderick so don't get all Julliard on me)

Return to “Cattywampus”