Covers

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

trashcan_afterthought

hmmm

Post by trashcan_afterthought »

well i liked when the flaming lips covered "seven nation army" hehe he never did quite get the words right but thats ok i dont like white stripes. ummmmmmmmm "save it for later" is great. my band covers "hey ya!" and i sing the hell out of that one. all of the covers johnny cash did were beautiful. and rufus wainwrights cover of "across the universe"
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

I might try to get into Juilliard after I graduate.
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

It's shocking no one has mentioned The Jeff Healey band covering Dylan's When the night comes fallin' from the sky' as one of the best...

One only needs to see the closing credit sequence of Road House to know why...especially in glorious crystal-clear DVD form, but if you haven't plunked down the $12 and change for this classic it's on every weekend on TBS...

Many have covered Dylan, but who else has had their version make it into a Patrick Swayze movie?
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

NatureBoy wrote:Many have covered Dylan, but who else has had their version make it into a Patrick Swayze movie?

and this is meant as a recommendation?

I loved Uncle Tupelo doing I Wanna Destroy You by The Soft Boys. In fact it was pretty much the only thing I liked that evening (shame on me), and I can't even use as a defense that I was still in my loud phase (which I was), because Uncle Tupelo played support to Sugar, who were loud, to the nauseating extreme.
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

Liesbeth wrote: and this is meant as a recommendation?

I think I overshot my target; flying well past humor and crashing into obscurity...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

quite frankly, your humor did not go over my head; in fact it crashlanded right between my eyes, and the slimey bits dripped down and left a somewhat strange taste in my mouth (all this aggravated by the fact that I saw Dirty Dancing at least five times, something I don't like to be reminded of too often)

of course, anyone attempting to improve a Dylan song should be commended (I was gonna stay clear from my usual dylan bashing, but now that I get a second chance I cannot resist [insert smiley here! irony intended! it's a joke - albeit one rooted in deep frustration ;-)])
Harry Kellerman

Post by Harry Kellerman »

Built To Spill did a pretty good cover of Macy Gray's "I try", Flaming Lips covering "Knives Out" was good, too. Les Georges Leningrad, when I saw them opening for the Locust, did an awesome and surprising cover of "Constantinople" by the residents.

I want to do a folk-singalong cover of Aphex Twin's "Come To Daddy"
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

I'm funny

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Is that Peanut Butter in that picture? I like peanut butter....

lets not forget the amazing covers done by your friend and mine Richard Cheese, on his 2000 "Lounge against the Machine" LP. That's 16 swingin covers of alternative standards! 16! who can resist a cover of Nirvana's Rape Me like this one?
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

that reminds me of an album of the beginning of the 90s, with Moog instrumentals of alternative hits, cool but only digestible in very small doses
Burning Bride #7

Post by Burning Bride #7 »

meg wrote:Earlier this year I saw Clem Snide covering Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" (they've since released an EP with this cover). Not hugely remarkable, except that a young man who had come only for the opening act (and had been drinking heavily) took that opportunity to barrel to the front of the crowd and pump his fist, ever-so-earnestly-in-time. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

If we're gonna be like this, I'd have to say Travis' cover of "...Baby One More Time" (yes, Britney Spears). This particular live version was also released, on a single to one of their earlier songs--also quite funny.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

Gonna be like...what?
Harry Kellerman

Post by Harry Kellerman »

i forgot about the plans cover of "crush". the songs carries an entirely different meaning when they play it.
sean
consigliere

Post by sean »

mine's a 3-way tie:

travis morrison's "the glamorous life" by sheila E. (performed at my now-defunct variety catastrophe All Things to All People)

ben gibbard's "thriller" by michael jackson (also at ATtAP)

redd kross's "rid of me" by PJ Harvey (at Moe, 1994)

(and maybe the long winters' "don't tell me" by Madonna, or "The Only Living Boy in New York" by Simon and Garfunkel, but definitely not Harvey Danger's "Isis" by Bob Dylan or "The Stroke" by Billy Squier.)
heathalouise

Post by heathalouise »

Redd Kross loves PJ Harvey. There's a single from Phaseshifter (Lady in the Front Row, I believe) that has a cover of "Oh My Lover."

My favorite live cover has got to be the Old 97's doing Cheap Trick's "Southern Girls" at the TLA in Feb. 2000. It's my favorite Cheap Trick song, and the 97's are one of those bands that I get absolutely dorky over. Rhett Miller does quite a few covers in his solo shows, including a depressing/fabulous version of Olivia Newton John's "Please Mr. Please."

On record, it's a tie right now between Zumpano's version of Jimmy Webb's "Rosecrans Blvd." and American Music Club's rendition of the Carpenter's "Goodbye to Love."
Moni

Post by Moni »

(It's "revive age-old threads-week"!)

A recent favorite (from 2 days ago to be exact):

Okkervil River covering Big Star's "O Dana". Brilliant as pretty much anything Will Sheff does.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

heather wrote:Granted I've never heard the ORIGINAL version, but Death Cab's cover of 'The Face That Launched 1000 Shits' [Jay Chilcote of the Hydra] is awesome. Yes.
Does anyone have the original version? I would love to hear it.
heather

Post by heather »

no. no one does. consider this one thing that you'll never get to hear. honestly. i don't even think the hydrae have this on tape.

tMg covering "boys are back in town/ignition [remix]" is pretty sweet.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Well, at least I know to stop looking. :(

I love the death cab version to (err...) death, though.
Ogdred Weary

Post by Ogdred Weary »

Hmmm, Ben Folds duetting with Rufus Wainright (sp?) with Careless Whisper. That was pure magic. Also, Guster and Barenaked Ladies covering The Cure's Boys Don't Cry was pretty good. Once the crowd calmed down of course.....
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

Tori Amos-Thank You-Led Zepplin

HDanger-Beautiful World-Devo