LOTR

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

call me stupid

LOTR

Post by call me stupid »

I just saw LOTR: Return of the King, and I have mixed feelings about it. I've read all three books(The Hobbit too) several times, and I have to say there are definitely some things that could have been better in the final movie. But overall, I certainly enjoyed the 3.5 hours I spent watching it, not to mention the hour of waiting outside in the snow.....BUT, it is definitely a must-see if anyone else has read the books and/or seen the movies. What does anyone else think who has seen it?
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

We loves it, yes precious, we do! Personally, I thought it was the best of the three. I went to the 'midnight showing' last tuesday night/wednesday morning, and it was worth it! I loved the other two too (I have both of the extended edition DVDs), and was a fan of the books too (I read them from my dad's copies from the '70s). A bunch of my friends have been kinda miffed over certain stuff cut out of them, but I mean heck, they're long enough as it is.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I loved it. Completely! I refused to read the books once I heard the films were being made, and refused to find out anymore about them. The films this way, were a blissfull enjoyment brought to life only through filminstead of having a disapointment or a conflicts with my own imagination. I was blown away bu all 3 films, and the third was completely amazing in its own right. I want more.
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

Yeah, I agree, ROTK is the best of the 3. It has the most action and the best storyline. I try to tell myself not to hold it to such a high standard, but the books are just so good I can't help myself. If I had never read the books, I would have no complaints at all, I think. The battle scenes were so great, with all of the riders of Rohan and the battlefiend itself.

I only own the first dvd. I'm sticking it out, and hoping that after the third movie is released, that a boxed set of the extended versions will be released, and I can buy that. Unremarkable, I've only seen parts of the first extended version, but as a whole what more do you get out of it??? I'm very curious.

Part of me hopes that they come out with a prequal and make The Hobbit....that book got me started on LOTR, so with all of it's popularity, it would only make sense(from a financial point of view to Peter Jackson) to make that movie....I guess we'll see....
stephanie

kucinich vs. gollum - the battle of the century!

Post by stephanie »

I have never seen any of these movies, but I've been insistent to everyone I know that Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich, who is currently (inexplicably!) running for the Democratic nomination, looks EXACTLY like Gollum.

Check it:

Just saying.
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

call me stupid wrote:I only own the first dvd. I'm sticking it out, and hoping that after the third movie is released, that a boxed set of the extended versions will be released, and I can buy that. Unremarkable, I've only seen parts of the first extended version, but as a whole what more do you get out of it??? I'm very curious.

They add a lot of footage, like 40 minutes. There's Treebeard singing an old entish song, the part where the orcs run into the 'forest' after the battle of Helms Deep, Merry and Pippin discovering Sauruman's secret stash of pipe weed, Faramir showing Frodo and Sam a safe way on their journey, and a whole lot more. The special features are great too, there are so many hours, I haven't watched them all yet.
heather

Post by heather »

I LOVED IT.

Now everyone knows why Sam is the best character in LOTR.

Sean Astin is amazing. I didn't think anything could top Goonies. I was wrong.

The Two Towers was my favorite part of the LOTR book. I hate the movie. Except for all the parts with Sean Astin. And Legoland. That's one hott elf pirate.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

I can't get past the casting of Frodo. Hobbits are supposed to be sort of chunky, or at least a little stout, not all treacle-drenched, doe-eyed, sap-oozing little ankle-biteing shitheels. If he made that fucking, "oh my heart is swelling, oh Sam, you scamp!" face one more time I was going to look him up in the Hollywood phone book and rip his face off. Frodo should have been a little bit of a bad-ass.

Just one man's opinion. One man who read all four books on five different occasions.
omphale

Post by omphale »

John wrote:I can't get past the casting of Frodo. Hobbits are supposed to be sort of chunky, or at least a little stout, not all treacle-drenched, doe-eyed, sap-oozing little ankle-biteing shitheels. If he made that fucking, "oh my heart is swelling, oh Sam, you scamp!" face one more time I was going to look him up in the Hollywood phone book and rip his face off. Frodo should have been a little bit of a bad-ass.

YES. exactly.

i had to cover my eyes through much of Two Towers for this very reason. i haven't seen ROTK and i don't intend to see it until i can do so somewhere where i won't ruin the movie for twelve year olds by yelling obscenities at what's-his-lips every time he makes that face.

treacle-drenched, hehehehehehe
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

AHahah. I played Frodo in a school play version of The Hobbit. I was totally chunky! In other words, Meg > Elijah Wood.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

The sweet revenge being that what's-his-lips (LOL) will be remembered as Frodo for the rest of his life and won't have any type of career after this.

Anyway, my golden rule is not to see movies made after books I love, it tends to kill everything your imagination so wonderfully created. With one exception, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, just can't resist that chocolate river coming to life (mmm... chocolate - d'oh! sorry for digressing)
omphale

Post by omphale »

the thing is, i enjoyed a lot of things about the movie(s)...it's just that none of them had to do with the portrayal of frodo...which is a pretty f-ing big deal....

i want to have that rule, but curiousity always wins, and then i spend the whole movie yelling obscenities at the actors, director, boom operator and everyone even remotely connected with the making of the film.

...desperately searching my brain for a movie adaptation of a beloved book that i didn't hate....
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I'm gonna put forth the unpopular opinion and say that I loved the movies. They were totally fierce. And Frodo is friggin' adorable. So there.

I've read the books and I thought the movies did a great job of adaptation. You must expect diviation from books that are so long, so I don't reflect on the 300 million diviations much.

Note: I admit I haven't seen the last movie yet.

As for the Gollum/Kucinich resemblance, are you sure that's not Putin?
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Despite the criminal miscasting of the lead character, I enjoyed the movies also. They were a lot closer to the books than I ever dreamed.

As for great movies from great books: Jesus' Son.
wonderbex

book to film

Post by wonderbex »

hells yeah, push 'em up for Jesus' Son. push 'em up for Denis Johnson and push 'em on up for Alison Maclean.

the whole double-whammy equally-awesome book/movie thing is tough ... i can only think of The Virgin Suicides as another (as yet un-used) example. The Princess Bride. (but did that book come out after the movie? i can't remember.

push 'em up for Billy Crudup in Jesus' Son! pull 'em back down for this claire danes thing.

while we're pushing 'em up, let's also push 'em on up for the posthumous pardon of lenny bruce.
and this is the only time i will ever say this: push 'em up for governor pataki. woooo.
Unremarkable

Re: book to film

Post by Unremarkable »

wonderbex wrote: The Princess Bride. (but did that book come out after the movie? i can't remember.

The book came first, and as much as I love the movie, the book was better.
heather

Post by heather »

i think elijah wood being cast as frodo is kind of perfect. i mean, in the book frodo is whiny, and a little bit of a bitch. elijah wood as frodo is that way, to the nth degree. is there such a thing as the "nth degree"?

but everyone has to see that sean astin/sam is the best part of the whole trilogy. seriously.
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

heather wrote:i think elijah wood being cast as frodo is kind of perfect. i mean, in the book frodo is whiny, and a little bit of a bitch. elijah wood as frodo is that way, to the nth degree. is there such a thing as the "nth degree"?

but everyone has to see that sean astin/sam is the best part of the whole trilogy. seriously.

I'll agree, Rudy does a great job as Sam, regardless of all the homo-erotic tones I get from him when he looks at Frodo. But my nod goes to Orlando Bloom, his manorisms are perfect for Legolas.
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

heather wrote:but everyone has to see that sean astin/sam is the best part of the whole trilogy. seriously.

I concur.
heather

Post by heather »

call me stupid wrote: I'll agree, Rudy does a great job as Sam, regardless of all the homo-erotic tones I get from him when he looks at Frodo. But my nod goes to Orlando Bloom, his manorisms are perfect for Legolas.

Regardless? The book and movie are chock-full of homoerotic moments, and I love LOTR more for it.

I saw Return of the King at the Cinerama last Thursday, and you know the part with Legoland in the blue outfit? Gaggles of girls all over the theater erupted into applause. What am I trying to say? OH, I THINK YOU KNOW.