venting about how i don't like nirvana

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Damien_82

venting about how i don't like nirvana

Postby Damien_82 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:51 am

Nirvana was and is overrated. They were good, but I don't think I'd go so far as to say they were great. I don't understand why they are often considered a sort of standard. "You could be the next Nirvana." What does that even mean? You could be at the rigth place at the right time and get the right breaks with little talent (though I do appreciate Dave on the drums)? I don't think they revolutionized the industry as much as many seem to think. "Teen Spirit" didn't change the world, it just gave us something else to listen to at a time when we needed something else to listen to. It's not like they were The Beatles.

omphale

Postby omphale » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:11 am

agreed on all points.

but, just out of curiosity, why the venting now? did they release the new ultra-secret kurt cobain diary or the very first practice session recordings ever or some other new publicity nightmare like that, which i cleverly managed to avoid hearing about by being a gimpy hermit?

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:38 am

I guess I'll have to respectfully disagree with you two. ;) But I believe the whole "next Nirvana" thing means the next big thing out of Seattle, because Nirvana was a big thing to come out of Seattle.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:23 pm

If Kurt Cobain would have stayed away from drugs, then we probably wouldn't have Courtney Love!

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:37 pm

Karousme wrote:If Kurt Cobain would have stayed away from drugs, then we probably wouldn't have Courtney Love!

*sigh* in a perfect world...

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:51 pm

Perhaps its a sort of truncated idolization. They were good. In Utero was and is one of my favorite CDs I don't own. I think that explains everything.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:27 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:Perhaps its a sort of truncated idolization. They were good. In Utero was and is one of my favorite CDs I don't own. I think that explains everything.

Are you saying that the only reason they are revered the way they are is because Cobain died? If so, i would agree.

Damien_82

Postby Damien_82 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:48 pm

Now only because I was just recently having a conversation about this with a friend of mine (and fellow musician). He took the opposing side. Nothing heated, really. And I'm not really all that passionate about it. I was just curious to know what some of the regulars around here think. I do enjoy their music though. I also don't own In Utero (though it is a good album).

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:10 am

did any of y'all see 'em live? I did, several times, and they WERE great, but there were a lot of great acts back then that I loved (Big Black, Mudhoney, Mission of Burma, the Neats, Dinosaur Jr, Replacements) and I remember being wistful that these other talented people would get the kind of attention that the Seattle scene got. And some did, for example, my friends from beantown Dando and Hatfield did OK. And the Pixies were huge in Europe. Of course these guys all enjoy a solid cult following (and trivia-ists will note that J Mascis of Dinosaur produced Nevermind, but I digress). To a certain extent, Nirvana was "at the right place at the right time" 'cuz the indie scene was just exploding at the time. But you cannot deny that Cobain could pen a hell of a hook, the tunes were solid, and live they rocked like hell itself.

ps Mission of Burma has apparently reformed sans Swope and is planning a tour soon. They are playin SXSW, which I can't afford to go to...

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:53 am

My english teacher from last year was/is a huge music fan and even he tends to reject trends that call bands legendary (he abhors led zeppelin, for example). But he was telling me that one time he and his brother went to a Dinosaur Jr show, and there was only one opening band. It was this obscure Seattle band that almost nobody had heard of called Nirvana, when they went on the entire room went nuts. Almost everyone in there were instnantly made fans of a band they had never heard of. they really were a great live band.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:31 am

oops, I think it was Steve Albini from Big Black that produced Nevermind. My bad. I've had J on the brain 'cuz i recently bought a Dinosaur compilation

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:35 am

yeah, the first time I saw Nirvana, they were the opener fer my friends Bullet LaVolta, who also knew how to rock, but who remembers Bullet LaVolta? seein Nirvana live did make us instant fans, I remember. there's other stuff I remember, but ain't tellin

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:15 am

it's possible i just missed whatever was great about them initially because i was such a huge back-to-the-lander, living in the woods with no electricity kind of freak during that time period, and by the time i regained my sanity and rejoined society he had already up and killed himself, which tainted the whole thing for me. suicide really pisses me off.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:46 am

i remember thinkin, jeez, he has more money than God, why not just go buy an island to live on? But true depression is so evil and insidious.

the new math

Postby the new math » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:45 pm

albini recorded in utero. butch vig produced/recorded nevermind.

i remember bullet lavolta, if only because clay tarver was in it, and i'm a chavez fan.

i saw nirvana new years '94 and was blown away.

nirvana were huge BEFORE he killed himself. how they are revered today has more to do with their talents as a live band and his songwriting skills than his suicide. i think his death made people think more about what made nirvana good, for sure, but you can't blame his death for their popularity.

alice in chains anybody?

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:10 pm

yeah, yer right- I haven't thought 'bout this stuff in a while. I guess it shows I liked the Albini influence more than the slick Vig stuff.

Awesome that you remember BlaV- now if I could just find someone other than Joe Harvard who remembers the Neats...

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:05 pm

Karousme wrote:
LoveSickJerk wrote:Perhaps its a sort of truncated idolization. They were good. In Utero was and is one of my favorite CDs I don't own. I think that explains everything.

Are you saying that the only reason they are revered the way they are is because Cobain died? If so, i would agree.

I don't disagree with their songcraft either. Cobain did do a masterful job, and the msic was right there with him. The Doors are a similar example. If Jimbo didn't get into all that trouble, and then go and die (with a refused autopsy in france...oooo mysterious!) we wouldn't give half as much a care as some do now. I'm not trying to say they weren't good. They were. I never saw them live, but as mentioned here and by a couple friends who have, they were a good live band. Right place at the right time sounds fair to me.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:34 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:
Karousme wrote:

I don't disagree with their songcraft either. Cobain did do a masterful job, and the msic was right there with him. The Doors are a similar example. If Jimbo didn't get into all that trouble, and then go and die (with a refused autopsy in france...oooo mysterious!) we wouldn't give half as much a care as some do now. I'm not trying to say they weren't good. They were. I never saw them live, but as mentioned here and by a couple friends who have, they were a good live band. Right place at the right time sounds fair to me.

oh god... i abhor the doors.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:36 am

not to say that this would happen, but it is quite possible that if kurt hadn't died that they would have ended up putting out subpar CDs and losing their fan base. we possibly would have been saying by now ‘ya know, nirvana just ain’t what they used to be.’ i think the reason a lot of bands who lost someone or an artist who died too soon keep their status as great is because the incident usually happens at the height of things or when people still care. layne stanley for example, altho very sad, alice in chains had been gone for so long that people kinda went 'oh yea, that guy. i thought he was already dead' since i think almost no one was surprised by his death.
i am not so much a huge nirvana fan as i am an admire of kurt cobain. not in the ‘oh my god, i luuuuuurve kurt cobain’, but more in the i’m completely fascinated by him way. but i do think nirvana was great. you may say that it was a time for change but i don’t think just anything would have made the change. it would have to take something great, new, different, to make that change. and i don’t see how you can’t say they didn’t change the world when the world all wanted to be seattle, as in all the runways and fashion mags made flannel, of all things, a fashion trend.
i personally think bleach was nirvana’s best. it’s my favorite to listen to.

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:02 pm

hey now.. clo is going through rough times, she lost custody of her daughter, frances bean. courtney didnt get kurt started on heroin, he used it way back when he waas in aberdeen. also, courtney had a 20 dollar habit back then, and she was afraid of needles. the last time kurt saw krist was at an airport- the y wrestled on the ground and kurt ran away. another story i heard was that kurt got out of krists car and broke up the band.

how would you like it if you saw bullets thrown at you- having richard lee try to get in your car and talk dabout how she "killed" her husband.

im a huge clo fan. courtney rules

Return to “Cattywampus”