President bush likes ribs...

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

President bush likes ribs...

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:36 pm

This is real! Someone actually transcribed this and posted it on the official Whitehouse site.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 122-5.html

Remarks by the President to the Press Pool
Nothin' Fancy Cafe
Roswell, New Mexico

11:25 A.M. MST

THE PRESIDENT: I need some ribs.

Q Mr. President, how are you?

THE PRESIDENT: I'm hungry and I'm going to order some ribs.

Q What would you like?

THE PRESIDENT: Whatever you think I'd like.

Q Sir, on homeland security, critics would say you simply haven't spent enough to keep the country secure.

THE PRESIDENT: My job is to secure the homeland and that's exactly what we're going to do. But I'm here to take somebody's order. That would be you, Stretch -- what would you like? Put some of your high-priced money right here to try to help the local economy. You get paid a lot of money, you ought to be buying some food here. It's part of how the economy grows. You've got plenty of money in your pocket, and when you spend it, it drives the economy forward. So what would you like to eat?

Q Right behind you, whatever you order.

THE PRESIDENT: I'm ordering ribs. David, do you need a rib?

Q But Mr. President --

THE PRESIDENT: Stretch, thank you, this is not a press conference. This is my chance to help this lady put some money in her pocket. Let me explain how the economy works. When you spend money to buy food it helps this lady's business. It makes it more likely somebody is going to find work. So instead of asking questions, answer mine: are you going to buy some food?

Q Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, good. What would you like?

Q Ribs.

THE PRESIDENT: Ribs? Good. Let's order up some ribs.

Q What do you think of the democratic field, sir?

THE PRESIDENT: See, his job is to ask questions, he thinks my job is to answer every question he asks. I'm here to help this restaurant by buying some food. Terry, would you like something?

Q An answer.

Q Can we buy some questions?

THE PRESIDENT: Obviously these people -- they make a lot of money and they're not going to spend much. I'm not saying they're overpaid, they're just not spending any money.

Q Do you think it's all going to come down to national security, sir, this election?

THE PRESIDENT: One of the things David does, he asks a lot of questions, and they're good, generally.

END 11:29 A.M. MST

junkyardtodd

Postby junkyardtodd » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:57 pm

ya know, ya hang out with the same yahoo's following you around day n night, things are gonna get informal n off track once in a while...

good thing they weren't on a street corner in front of a cocaine dealer though...

"i'm gonna get me a rock, what do you want?"

if Kerry uses 'government loans' as his campaign theme song, we are all doomed.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:40 pm

that's assuming he gets the nomination.

i've dealt with dumb and annoying people for days and days before, and i don't say stupid shit like that. i'd have to be, you know, a moron with a c average from a college i entered with a c average or something like that to say stuff THAT ridiculous.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:56 pm

Despite his front running, i'm not a Kerry fan. I like Dean. Sure he's insane, but damn isn't it fun? I've never related to a canidate more...a man who actually steps into shit over and over again. oh dear.

stephanie

on why I love Howard Dean

Postby stephanie » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:34 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:a man who actually steps into shit over and over again

That is the best description I've heard of my beloved in a long, long time; cheers! If he doesn't win the nomination, I'm writing him in. I'm (hopelessly?) devoted.
John Kerry looks like a zombie, but that's just one of many reasons he shouldn't be the nominee. I just had to step in and say wassup when it came to politics.

That transcription: it's fucking beautiful, is what it is. The next time someone asks me how I'm doing, I'm just going to say
instead of asking questions, answer mine: are you going to buy some food?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:03 pm

Stephanie! We missed you.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:19 pm

I honestly wish I'd written that ribs scene.

Goddamnit.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:31 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:Despite his front running, i'm not a Kerry fan. I like Dean. Sure he's insane, but damn isn't it fun? I've never related to a canidate more...a man who actually steps into shit over and over again. oh dear.

I really don't like Kerry at all. I'd like to see Edwards or Kucinich get the nomination (maybe Dean) get the nomination, but it looks like it's going to Kerry, democrats are all about electability.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:15 am

I had to break up with a girl over Kerry. No i'm kidding. I don't like him either. Go DEAN!

heather

Postby heather » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:16 pm

Dean always seems a little "chemically imbalanced" to me. And he kind of creeps me out.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:19 pm

I think people perceive thier canidates in a certain way, and no longer expect them to have the kind of fervor for public service that dean does. I think he's honestly into it. He's invested, not like that Kerry fella. He'd freeze the balls off a polar bear by lookin at em.

heather

Postby heather » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:34 am

No, I think he's just crazy. And he wears Cosby sweaters.

stephanie

i have a dream.

Postby stephanie » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:09 am

See.. aw, man! And here I was, all about to shut up?!

heather wrote:No, I think he's just crazy.

No offence, Heather, but (if you're being serious) people who say that have no idea what they're talking about. There's a big, huge, blinding difference between true enthusiasm and beliefs and just being "crazy," as Msr. LSJ pointed out, and as for the whole "scream" at the end of the speech in Iowa.. well, it mostly just makes me want to strangle some picky media folks. Cough.
Oh, and all the candidates have to wear Cosby sweaters -- for that 'down-home' feel! Clark looks way more uncomfortable than Dean, if yer talkin' argyles and pullovers.

It's currently down to Wisconsin, which means I get to feel personally responsible for whether or not the Dean campaign continues. Uh, huzzah! I just donated all the money I had left in the entire world, plus my tax return!

Bless America and shit!

(Since I'm at risk of being overtly off-topic in an already off-topic place: RIBS. MMM, RIBS ARE DELICIOUS. Also: LWs, enjoy yr little tour, there!)

heathalouise

Postby heathalouise » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:24 am

One of the people in my program was a reporter in Vermont when Dean was governor, and she always talks about how staid he was. She finds it hilarious that he's being criticized for "the scream" (which is just ridiculous anyway).

Speaking of Cosby sweaters, did anyone else see that Wesley Clark was auctioning off one of his for charity?

And I agree with Stephanie, ribs are tasty! (to keep it all on topic, of course...)

Oh, and John Kerry totally looks like another "famous" dude from Massachusetts -- former Boston Celtic Kevin McHale.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:18 pm

can I safely assume that no vegetarian candidate would ever make it to the White House?

heather

Postby heather » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:03 pm

No offense to you dear, but I seriously think he's a bit off-kilter. [this is me being quasi-serious now, instead of just trying to piss everyone off] Also, Dean totally rubs me the wrong way. And not in the good wrong way either. He makes me uneasy. I don't look at him and say to myself, "Now there's the guy I'm voting for. That's the guy I want to be President." I just don't like him. Sure, he's probably a swell guy, but not the candidate [am i spelling things right? betty?] for me. I am not going to be jumping on the Dean bandwagon anytime soon. Or ever.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:33 pm

Liesbeth wrote:can I safely assume that no vegetarian candidate would ever make it to the White House?

eh, ohio elected a vegan into congress (dennis kucinich), it could happen.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:39 am

The only politician who creeps me out right now is George...

Personally I like Dean, tho I think the problem is that he might fare well with people who really hate Bush, but probably not with voters who are undecided between Bush and another candidate. They’ll want someone more, uh, moderate I guess.

I cannot really say anything competent on Kerry and Edwards, so I’ll close this truly forgettable statement by saying that I cannot even remember when I had ribs the last time.

heather

Postby heather » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:19 pm

OR, they could just not like howard dean. but if it comes down to dean or bush, i would go for the crazy cosby sweater wearing liberal. he's a liberal, right?

stephanie

OH GOD I NEED TO STOP FUCKING TALKING ABOUT POLITICS!!!1!

Postby stephanie » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:02 pm

heather wrote:he's a liberal, right?

Fiscally? No way.
Socially? Way!

Every candidate but Dean rubs me the wrong way, ESPECIALLY Kerry (who has always given me the heebie-jeebies, and not just cos he looks like a zombie) and Edwards (who simply does not have enough experience in elected office to restore pre-G.W. Amurrka). The projected Democratic ticket is something of a nightmare to me.
On the other hand(s), Clark's a bumbling half-Republican who doesn't really know what he thinks about anything, and Kucinich, though vegan (awww!) and sorta endearingly Gollum-like, is near-otherworldly in his utopian ideals. Oh, fuck it. If Dean loses, I'm voting for Al Sharpton!
My demand is painfully simple: someone with a realistic vision for the country who has the experience and record to back dat azz up -- then I can spare myself a move to Canada in favour of living in places that simply border Canada (Wisconsin, Washington State). Also, Q: is it so much to ask for a candidate with a comprehensive health care plan!? (A: Apparently.)

In any case, the word "crazy" has always immediately set off klaxons of defensiveness inside my brain, so forgive me for going off 24/7, H, m'dear! :)

My #1 problem with the race right now is that the "more electable" candidates are now shamelessly taking the (ahem!) balls that the good doctor single-handedly gave back to the Democratic party and just running with them (and, uh, mortgaging their houses while they're at it).
The amount of pullquotes Kerry, Edwards, and Clark are ripping off of Dean right now is truly staggering. I can't understand anyone who thinks Dean is totally whacked if they're currently 100% into another candidate, because there's a pretty hefty chance that said candidate has lifted some of Howard Dean's key selling points. Translation: RAWRRRGH -- or EYAHHHH, as it were.

Finally, I have a confession: I have never actually eaten ribs. In fact, I am a vegetarian. However, the Gardenburger fake-ribs are mad tasty, and I will be sure to enjoy some with the new band members the next time TLW deign to visit the Brew City. Viva la hydrolyzed soy protein!

Return to “Cattywampus”