President bush likes ribs...

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Steph...

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:13 pm

I voted for my television ad...did you?

stephanie

aye!

Postby stephanie » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:36 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:I voted for my television ad...did you?

I did! It's a small thing, y'know, but it counts (I picked Max; she's sassy!). Colour me psyched.

[Days like this, I wish my place of employment did not give me constant/hilariously fast/free internet access. I should be out in the cold, handing out campaign lit.]

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:55 pm

I voted for the first guy. Max was sassy, but I like to think people liked more info. Oh well. You're right BTW. And I've become a host fo rthe next buffalo meetup. or at least the national one in march. Im so excited!

heather

Postby heather » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:55 pm

are we going to be able to write in a candidate? should i travel from state to state, and scribble in wesley willis' name on my ballot?

WESLEY WILLIS FOR PRESIDENT! hey, if what's-his-face from the midwest wherevers can get voted in 6 feet under, why can't wesley? huh? WHY NOT?

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:01 pm

WESLEY WILLIS FOR PRESIDENT! hey, if what's-his-face from the midwest wherevers can get voted in 6 feet under, why can't wesley? huh? WHY NOT?

But... that would make him the youngest President ever! And his foreign policy sucks!

Harry Kellerman

Re: jesus h..

Postby Harry Kellerman » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:48 am

stephanie wrote:
Harry Kellerman wrote:sorry, dean's probably not going to get the nomination.

An overwhelming air of self-defeatism in the ranks is the only thing that would/will result in a loss for the Dean camp, which is sort of unbelievable, in addition to being ohmygodunbelievably depressing.

I hate to sound out straight from the campaign stump, but every single person who truly believes that Howard Dean is the best choice for the Democratic nominee has the power to COMPLETELY turn this shit around.
Instead of shrugging the whole race off as a we-already-lost scenario before even 15% of the voting has been done, why not write letters to newspapers and undecided voters and call tons of TV stations? Why not help erase the misconceptions? Why not get out on a corner with a sign and campaign literature and intelligent answers to the public's valid (or not-so-valid) concerns? At the very least, why not TRY? It's called the democratic process for a reason.
I just don't understand why folks are so quick to give up hope when it comes to something they honestly feel in their hearts and in their guts is right. In any case, I agree 110% that the current "anybody but Bush" line of 'logic' is nothing short of appalling -- contrary to what people seem to be under the impression of, there are still months to decide who that "anybody" is going to be.

p.s. Please read this.
p.p.s. Libertarians, the whole lot? Figures.

It's not self-defeatism if you never supported the candidate or were a member of the party to begin with, it's an observation. I'm just saying that the majority of democrats follow the "anybody but bush" credo and they see kerry as more electable than dean.

heather

Postby heather » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:33 am

or wesley willis...ahem, i mean wesley clark?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:54 am

Didn't the real wesley willis die last year?

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:08 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:Didn't the real wesley willis die last year?

Yes, we (I) did sorta gloss over that, huh? Well, that's politics for ya.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:32 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:Didn't the real wesley willis die last year?

that doesn't really make him not electable, i mean, he's guaranteed to win if he runs against john ashcroft.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:32 pm

I think I'd still take John Ashcroft over Wesley Willis. Whose whole career was one big joke which was continuously the punchline for. And he was never able to discern. Its like a freak show without the circus.

heather

Postby heather » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:55 am

what?! wesley willis would re-do the national anthem! it would sound like 'cut the mullet'!! it would be grrrrrrrrrrrrreat! vote wesley willis in 2004!

willis in '04! yeah!

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:10 pm

Sorry heather, I had little respect for the way most (MOST) people viewed him as an artist. Most folks tend to go to enjoy it as a spectacle, a singularity pushed to the nth degree. "he's different, lets go see him" usually is because of credibility, or the way a peice of music is handled. But in most cases listeners, and concert goers would only go to see a former homless/schitzophrenic man try to act like a normal artist. The reasons were usually wrong when people went to see him. Which is why I refused to interview him for WRUB tv, and why half the cast who went to see him told me that I was right.

I don't mean to get down on you, I know its all in the spirit of fun, once in a while things get to me, im done don't worry.

heather

Postby heather » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:58 pm

Whatever. I don't have to explain myself to you, or the reasons why I ACTUALLY dig Wesley Willis. [no grave-robbing puns intended.]

ps: hey stephanie, if you're still reading this, tell me more about dean! tell me about his $10,000 grant/loan thing for people going to college! [i heard him talk about this on the television, i want to know if this is the real deal. i thought you'd be the girl who would know.]

LoveSickJerk

efriends is NOT a typo

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:19 pm

I didn't mean to offend. Really! My experiences have all been in poor taste, and that of course doesn't mean that everyone thinks the same. I'm sorry, i didn't mean to preach or condescend. And you're right, you don't need to explain, nor do i expect you to! Your tastes are your own, and I respect you for em.

Can't we still be efriends?

stephanie

the college commitment!

Postby stephanie » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:42 pm

heather wrote:hey stephanie, if you're still reading this, tell me more about dean! tell me about his $10,000 grant/loan thing for people going to college! [i heard him talk about this on the television, i want to know if this is the real deal. i thought you'd be the girl who would know.]

OH, LOVE. OH.
You know these are the kinds of things I wait with bated breath to be asked. Might I direct you here for more information?
I've never even given college a passing thought, so I don't know what any of it actually means for the folks (like you) who are exponentially more intelligent and vested in their pursuit of formal knowledge than I am. Layman's terms -- damn, how painful is this to admit?! -- this is a Dean policy I am 100% unable to expound upon independently, because I have no fucking clue what it's like to even THINK about secondary education. I hope the link will take care of yr questions, though.

p.s. I was sad to hear that Clark dropped out today. It breaks my heart every time (even Lieberman! no kidding!), and makes me increasingly/achingly aware of how much time and money and effort I've put into the Dean campaign.
Last edited by stephanie on Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:51 am

thank god fer Dean, or these primaries would be as boring as shit.

Y'all are scaring me alittle tho' please tell me you guys don't vote fer someone JUST b/c he's a liberal?

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:50 pm

I don't really know if that “College Commitment” is a good idea or not; but I like some of his points regarding primary education.

And say about Dean what you want, but he obviously knows his environmental issues (and if I’ve ever had at least some knowledge and a strong opinion on any topic, this is it).

Of course you can promise a lot during a campaign, but Dean sounds like he can count two and two together. He seems to be someone who sees issues not isolated but in connection to each other (education=health care=environment=foreign politics etc.)
I don’t see too many politics doing that nowadays.

God I really miss the Daily Show these days...

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:37 pm

Dean has been the first canidate I've ever been able to Identify with. I can't explain it, but I understand why he's so excited to go straight to the whitehouse ARRRAAAAGH! Zeal like that is hard to come by in any canidate. Especially when most are wooden at any rate. Am I basing my choice and support through image identification? Yes. Do I think in 2004 that matters? No. Go Dean Go!

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:08 pm

I heard Dean supports the death penalty. :( Is that true Stephanie?

Return to “Cattywampus”