Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:46 pm

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

Learn more than you could ever want to know about electronic subgenres.

Techstep? Illbient? Neurofunk? Stupid House? Er....Gloomcore? Who knew there were so many? They are all here with some great samples and with commentary.

I especially like how "Booty" is a category and that Wesley Willis' special genre is called "Casiocore". I also learned that Daft Punk is French.

BEEP!

heather

Postby heather » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:00 pm

i love that website. i love it. almost as much as my dictionary site...

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:03 pm

heather wrote:i love that website. i love it. almost as much as my dictionary site...

Ahem; your dictionary site? I thought we were sharing custody. And besides, can you "own" the wind? Can you "own" the water? Can you "own" the cassingle? No, not so much.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:11 pm

Did you read the blurb on "Disco House"? --

"...This is easily the style that has the most fun. If there was an official gauge of how much fun something is, Disco House would score off the charts. If there was a country called Funia, Disco House would be its national anthem, as well as the name of its capitol city. Everyone would be free, easy, super and gay (that's gay as in happy and fun, not gay as in lame and stupid.)..."

"Free, easy, super and gay"--that's pretty darn close to "super pop and gay!!!"

the new math

Postby the new math » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:51 pm

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html forgot IDM! they forgot IDM!!

http://www.discogs.com/ is a bit more clinical, for sure, but hey, you can find arovane!!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:58 pm

IDM is there. It's floating by itself, placed on the Jungle page but linked to Ambient Techno (which is my favorite so far).

Did you guys read the Rio Funk blurb on the Breakbeat page? WHOA.

...whoa.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:29 pm

This discogs sight is pretty cool. Once you find something you really like, it just takes off. Thanks for the tip.

Electronica...an overwhelming amount of stuff I know nothing about. Wowza. I feel like I just discovered the land of Funia.

the new math

Postby the new math » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:04 pm

why they linked IDM to jungle, i'll never know. even if they say so.

there really should just be a HUGE kraftwerk button for that site and everything links from there.

if yer electronica curious, lemme know and I'll make a short list of must have's.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:39 am

the new math wrote:if yer electronica curious, lemme know and I'll make a short list of must have's.

I'm electronica curious!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:30 am

I second that. It does seem, with so many genres, that you find a niche in this robot world.

the new math

Postby the new math » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:07 am

yes, that is very true. my list will follow shortly, niche based of course, but hopefully with enough diversity within.

the new math

Postby the new math » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:35 am

so, IMHO, some must have's from the electronic realm. these are admittedly more headphone friendly than dance friendly (although there are crossovers) so, like i always say, you have been warned.

massive attack - no protection (downtempo, dub)
tosca - suzuki (dub, funk)
telefon tel aviv - fahrenheit fair enough (post rock, IDM)
stars as eyes - loud new shit (uh...very much like ketchup)
christian kleine - beyond repair (german, minimalist, IDM)
plaid - double figure (bubbly, eclectic, DrumsnBass, bjork remixer)
Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher (hip hop, glitch)
DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz (jazz oriented, sample based, downtempo)
DJ Shadow - Entroducing... (WHA!!! you don't have this!?!?!)
Boards of Canada - Music has the right to children (dub, IDM, downtempo, ambient)
Aphex Twin - drukqs (drillNBass, ambient, IDM, chaotic, schizophrenic)
steve roach - body electric (new agey ambient with fractal beats)
LTJ Bukem - Progression Sessions 1 (Classic, atmospheric drumsnbass)
Autechre - amber (dark, minimal, IDM)
Her Space Holiday - Manic Expressive (indie electronica)
Sandra Collins - Tranceport 3 (atmopheric trance)
funckarma - solid state (deep, jazz and dub influenced IDM, very sci fi)

well, i could go on, but i won't. there should be something in here for everyone. sadly, you won't find much of this on iTUNES. bentcrayon.com has a great selection of electronic stuff, and usually some very good comments on the music. also, most of these artists should have mp3s on their respective websites, so go now, my children.

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:10 pm

If you're new to the electronic sound-tones that remind you music, I'd recommend Boards of Canada's "Music Has the Right to Children" as a first step. Pretty much everyone that hears it loves it. It's (sheepish sigh) "accessible," but incredible, too.

Also, "In Flames" by Manitoba. Sounds like a Chemical Bros. remix of every psych-rock album from 1968. But way better.

For more straight-up ELECTRONIC, I'd recommend both of Aphex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works" albums instead of Drukqs, which is kind of a tough listen.

And as much as I dig "One Word Extinguisher," I feel like "Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives" is a better intro to Prefuse 73.

Big ups to New Math--great suggestions all around. How do you like the latest M83 album?

the new math

Postby the new math » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:13 pm

the only m83 album i've heard is the one that's listed, and i love it. is there a newer one than that?

i thought about listing the first prefuse 73 record, but thought that while perhaps a bit manic, one word extinguisher represents more of a complete summation of scott herren's various identities (prefuse 73, delarosa y asora, savath and savalas). still, vocal studies and uprock narratives is definitely a GREAT record.

also, the manitoba record is indeed quite good, but it didn't bite into me like those other records did. *listening to it right now*

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:59 pm

re: M83: Listed where? In one of the links earlier in this thread? I must confess i didn't click 'em... I'm kind of subgenre'd out, ya know?

Just give me good music.

Anyway, I'm referring to Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost...

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:17 pm

i think the delarosa albums are pretty far removed from the prefuse stuff, but maybe my ears deceive me. as for savath, what's up with the new album? not what i expected at all...

i can still remember the first electronic album i really "got." FUSE, an old Richie hawtin project. i can still hear those Roland 303 licks rattling through my skull from time to time... guess you'd call that an "acid" flashback, huh?

lame joke makin',
ee

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:02 pm

i'm really not that into electronic stuff (i have a few aphex records, squarepusher, dj shadow, i think that's it), but i heard the latest m83 album ("dead cities...") and on first and second listen, everything past "unrecorded" is really uninspired, plus i think they overused bit reducing distortion (the voice on "birds" is through that). i only say that because that specific effect is very quirky and when you have it that often it sticks out like a sore thumb. but that's just me, i'm re-listening right now.

oh, do the books and/or brian eno's early ambient stuff count as electronic? because i guess you could include that in my scarce electronic collection.

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:46 am

Eno definitely counts. Good stuff, too.

I also dig the Books. They're sort of in a category of their own, though.

Dntel, anyone?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:46 am

the new math wrote:stars as eyes - loud new shit (uh...very much like ketchup)

if anyone can name me one electronic act that's creamy and fat like mayonaise, I promise I will try it out.
in the meantime I will be old-fashioned and stick with loud guitars or violins

no offense, but very few electronic acts do it for me, and if they do, it's usually through their use of great vocalists or wonderful samples of non-electronic music

my 2 cents (only 1,5 dollarcent with the current state of the euro)

Return to “Cattywampus”