Get some learnin' right here

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

I rely mostly on updates from www.nature.com and the ongoing ruminations at the Barbelith Laboratory.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

There's the refinery that turns chicken guts into cooking oil.

And the news that the big-bang might really just be alternate dimensions bumping into each other.

And how the girl octopus didn't like the boy octopus at the Seattle aquarium.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

damn i wish i had as much free time as y'all
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I wish I was a scientist.

When people ask me what I do, I sometimes consider saying "Why, I'm a stellar astrophysicist."

I'm pretty sure the key to science is:

1.) dreaming up something very cool that you want to do (see thread: http://www.thelongwinters.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=667)
2.) putting on your whitest lab coat, nerdiest glasses, and most authoritative voice, and then
3.) say the magic words: "Important Research."
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

I AM a scientist. That's why I have no flippin free time. I do have several white coats, many with blood stains on them. Usually I just wear jeans or scrubs. But I do get to say cool things like "I am a scientist".
omphale

Post by omphale »

no pic wrote:I AM a scientist. That's why I have no flippin free time. I do have several white coats, many with blood stains on them. Usually I just wear jeans or scrubs. But I do get to say cool things like "I am a scientist".

you are my hero! i want to be just like you if i grow up!
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

why are you bloody? What kind of "Important Research" are you doing? And does it involve frankenstein? how about ping pong balls?
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

We scientists like to use words like "ground-breaking" and "novel" in front of the word research.

I am a molecular biologist, and I bash up cow bones to extract the cells. It is bloody work. Actually, all the guys around here get a kick out of it, 'cuz here is this 5 foot, petite (and I may add, hot) chick with a chisel and sledge hammer, wacking away. I am trying to understand how bones grow, very little work has been done in this area. I will have to give some serious thought to the ping pong ball angle.

Today, however, is no fun at all, as my program chair has requested that I write up a five year plan, including $ needs, equipment, and so forth. I have been procrastinating way too long. Gotta get it done today.

Of course, Omphale, I just wish I could play guitar and have men fall at my feet!
omphale

Post by omphale »

oh, you do not. they'd just get in the way of your sledge hammer and then you'd have all these tiresome lawsuits on your hands.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

i do have to say i have become attached to my sledge hammer.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

*cough*
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

Science is fun. Cell/molecular biology is even more fun. I am enroute to becoming a scientist. Some may argue that I will be at the end of May, but for some strange reason I've decided that it'll take another 5(+?) years of school before I'm anywhere near done. So...I get to take a couple expenses-paid vacations (recruiting trips) to Chicago and Vermont in the next couple weeks (yay!).

And may I suggest "I am a Scientist" by the Dandy Warhols for the dorky scientist theme song? :)

And finally, smashing cow bones sounds like more fun than I've had in the lab in awhile...
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

More cool science news:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/02/1 ... index.html

Black hole seen ripping star apart

"Observations from three space-based X-ray telescopes over about a decade provide the first solid evidence of a star being torn apart and partly swallowed by a black hole."

Best quote: "Black holes are known to be sloppy eaters." (Can you go anywhere in this universe without finding a slob?)

"Because of the momentum and energy of the process, only part the disrupted star's mass (indicated by the white stream in this illustration) was swallowed by the black hole, while the rest of the star was flung away into the surrounding galaxy. "

TAKE THAT YOU STAR! THE BLACK HOLE OWNED YOU.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

I'm proud to say that the Long Winters attract the foxy scientists!
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

you have no idea, honey. Get yer ass down to texas if'n ya wanna meet one of em (or at least make her happy).
Dez

Post by Dez »

You should also check out the BBC science site. Loaded with cool stuff.
www.bbc.co.uk/science

Do people without a white coat and lab, but with a lot of books about French thinkers, popular culture and musicology, a computer and a whole bunch of pencils count as a scientist?
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I think you are, Dez. You impress me with the pencils, which are good in case the computer fails

It has always surprised me, that distinction between science and arts in the english language. I think it's better in dutch, where everyone who goes through the ordeal of filling lots of pages with enough abstract shit to fool a professor can call themselves 'wetenschapper', no matter whether that shit is about molecules, the imminent extinction of amazon languages, the influence of napoleon on the development of lemon candy or the regional development of a small town near Copenhagen best known for the castle where Hamlet supposedly lived (guess what my topic was...)

Glad I'm not a real scientist like Hutch, so I have plenty of time to while away in the elecronic salon. Ah, holidays are nice.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

henceforth I would like to be refered to as 'wetenschapper' in all official correspondence.

And damn you 'no pic', for having no pic.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

well the Luddite may have to break down n put up a pic. How is this done?