i can't think of a subject

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

hovering

i can't think of a subject

Post by hovering »

but anyway. i want to express my undying love for chris walla. insert a cute little paragraph about how he is utterly adorable & all that good stuff.
if you don't read the barsuk board, he did an interview with stylus magazine and one of the "comments" from the interviewer guy was this. (found here)

I loved that Long Winters album that you produced…

Really? That’s great, that’s awesome. They are bunch of really nice guys. And John [Roderick] is a phenomenal writer.

and well, there is no point to this just to express my love for chris walla and the fact that other people know what's up. goodnight.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

thank you. i agree with simply every word written above these.

chris walla *sigh*
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I love this part of the interview about making mix tapes:

Oh, mixed tapes are a big deal. The mixed tape is much bigger deal than the mixed CD. The actual cassette part of coming back and getting all your segues straight and making sure the spaces between the songs are all right. It’s so much like sequencing an album. My love for the mixed tape is complete and so absolute that I swear it impacts on how we make our records. I am super-obsessed with getting things to land just right next to each other. Making sure that—you know how some CDs are quieter than others—making sure all the levels are matched up and making sure that if you have Billie Holiday next to Kraftwerk that it makes sense somehow or another. I mean, there is a way to do it and I can’t tell you what it is but I can sit and fuck around with it for an hour until I get it right.

I don't know that I make sure the spaces between songs are right, but the sequencing and level matching things sound very familiar. I know I've gone back half-way through the tape to change a song that didn't seem to fit in or was too long and thus made me have to cut off another song at the end. It's definitely not the same as making a mix CD!
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I remember having to make mix tapes for my car before I could afford a CD player. I would sit for hours, doing exactly what Mr. Walla explains...finding the correct segues, correct ways to transition between songs, and the empty space at the end! The best time was fitting the songs to the exact size of each side. I got so good, I could tell by eye how much time I had left to record and which song would fit.
Endo23

Post by Endo23 »

I gotta stick up for digital and say you can do all that good stuff with a mix CD to, if you care to try. I even edit the .wav files and make new fades/transitions at the end of songs just to make the mix perfect. I love that, and it's really hard to do with cassettes. My two cents. Don't knock digital until you've learned what it's capable of. Then do with it what you will.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Endo23 wrote:I gotta stick up for digital and say you can do all that good stuff with a mix CD to, if you care to try. I even edit the .wav files and make new fades/transitions at the end of songs just to make the mix perfect. I love that, and it's really hard to do with cassettes. My two cents. Don't knock digital until you've learned what it's capable of. Then do with it what you will.

I don't think we're knocking it, but like any analog/digital debate, its more of a "hands on" perception. Not having the technology available, yet still crafting a superior product like you had that technology is where I'm coming from. I think CW was inferring the hard work it takes to put a mix tape together (like in high fidelity) is its best reward, because not everyone would sit for hours upon hours crafting a transitionally sound masterpeice on thier stereo. The digital effect on the "art" just allows so much access to music, and so little brain power to just slap a bunch of songs from a bunch of artists on a cd with only minutes of thought, if that. Not that digital is inferior, it has just commodified the mix tape.

I too still pour over my mp3s and cds for hours to find my mix cd music--as well as editing the fades & cuts to fit better--much the same way I did with tapes, nothing has changed except for the inexpensiveness of mistakes.
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

oooh ooh...no one's posted on this for a while but i have to say that mix tapes are billions of times better than mix cds. mix tapes are a form of art. mix cds are just a way to throw some good songs together. there are a few very important things that make mix cds so perfect. one is that you have to listen to the whole song as it's recording, so to make a mix tape you have to listen to it all the way through. this ensures its quality and cohesiveness. it means you're more involved with the project than if you were just clicking and dragging tracks to a cd. the other important part is that you cannot skip songs on a mix tape. so the recipient of your tape has to listen to it exactly as you intended it, and cannot pick and choose songs to listen to and repeat. a mix tape is a sum of its parts, whereas a mix cd is simply a collection of parts.