Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby Moni » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:20 am

Anyone seen it yet? Good or not?
(I'm dying to, but it won't be released over her until May)

smelllikelime

Postby smelllikelime » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:48 am

I just saw it last night and it was GOOD, VERY GOOD! One of those movies where you're all 'whoa' and then you're like 'whoooaaa' and then you're all 'awwwww!' and 'sniffle!' and then you leave the theater terribly happy.

heathalouise

Postby heathalouise » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:59 am

smelllikelime wrote:I just saw it last night and it was GOOD, VERY GOOD! One of those movies where you're all 'whoa' and then you're like 'whoooaaa' and then you're all 'awwwww!' and 'sniffle!' and then you leave the theater terribly happy.

I didn't leave the theater terribly happy. I left feeling like I had just been dumped. That being said, it was sad and funny and beautifully shot. I loved it. And David Cross' bit part was a very pleasant surprise when I saw the opening credits.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:06 pm

brilliant.

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:20 pm

I think it's easily the most humane/heartfelt script Kaufman has written to date, and has the best resolution of any of his work.

Didn't like Elijah Woods' performance, but other than that, I was very, very impressed with the film. Beautifully shot, well-conceived, and Kate Winslet made me fall in love with her... curse you, you cruel, chameleon-locked vixen!

meg
Mod Emeritus

I AM BUILDING A BIRDHOUSE!

Postby meg » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:24 pm

Loved it.

It makes a beautiful, lovely logic. The writing is witty without being irritating. The filmmaking is electric, but not aggressive. Performances, especially Kate Winslet's, are great. I've read some hand-on-hips reviews, people chastising for plot inconsistencies and flights of fancy (some people probably still angry that they couldn't understand Adaptation), but I honestly thought it waso one of the most attractive, heartfelt, and genuinely told movies I've seen since Lost in Translation. Which I also loved. They both have a sort of periwinkle glow on them. So if you're into that.

It was what everyone told me Punch-Drunk Love was gonna be, except it actually WAS.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:09 pm

Endo23 wrote:Didn't like Elijah Woods' performance

I think you just don't like Elijah Woods. Though I haven't seen the film yet. Although I'm desperate to see it as in this recent conversation proves:
me: "I have not seen that film yet and I am more desperate than a 30 year old virgin to get in its pants."
Christa:"i am equally as interested in getting in the pants of this fine film."

See? I wanna see it! And I will gosh darn it!

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:07 pm

You. Go. See. Movie. NOW.

I just saw this no more than an hour ago, and feel so many different things. Basically like falling in and out of love, I guess. The concept with the memories was so right on. One of the best films I've seen in a long time.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:19 pm

Oh man. This film made sense.
I loved it, it is a fantastic film, and everything was spot on. Even Elijah Wood's whiney dork role. Which I gave him credit for fulfilling a shape throwing role to the t.

The lonliness of being a kid. That's what Christa was amazed at. The whole film was a brilliant romantic mindfuck. Did i say I loved it? I echo: GO SEE IT NOW.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:19 pm

thumbs up.

"I'M MAKING A BIRDHOUSE!"

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:35 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I would like to.

Midori

Postby Midori » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:26 pm

Betty Felon wrote:thumbs up.

"I'M MAKING A BIRDHOUSE!"

Dave Cross was great. I like after the dog jumps off his lap and he just goes "Get off!" after it's already gone......I guess you had to be there.
: p

Fi

Postby Fi » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:00 pm

it gets released here on April 15th. hoorAy. I'm so keen to see it.

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:23 am

heathalouise wrote: I left feeling like I had just been dumped.

Eek. Maybe I should not watch it.......
(of course I still will)

hovering

Postby hovering » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:07 pm

i left really happy AND really sad, all in one. speaking for someone who (up until a few months ago) was coping with a failing relationship, it kind of hit home and made you think a lot. regardless of whether you're happily in love, broken hearted, single and don't give a fuck, never been in love, etc. it's really enjoyable, original, beautiful, moving and i could probably watch it a million times, over & over again, re-discovering my favorite parts.

additional bonus: motherfucking david cross! i squealed like a little girl when i saw him and some dude in front of me was like "david cross, hell yeah!" and gave me a high-five. THAT was pretty awesome. too bad he was with his extremely hot girlfriend.

what was your favorite part?
when they were under the blankets and she asked him if she was ugly and he was like "please just let me keep this one" -- oh god, oh god, oh god.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:30 pm

That's #2 to the childhood memories when they first try to hide. Those were brilliant.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:05 pm

While we're on the topic of giving it all away, I must say I could feel my heart cracking when they were in the house and it was crumbling into the sea all around them.

heather

Postby heather » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:31 am

holy. fuck. dudes, seriously.

that movie? wow. wow. incredible.

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:55 pm

No, I stand by my Elijah Woods comment. Don't hate him, just think he played the character like he was 16, and I don't think that was the point. I think the dude was supposed to be a creepy loser who had no luck with women and stole this guy's identity out of desperation and loneliness. But it played like he was just a dumb kid who'd never had a girlfriend, which didn't work for me. Maybe if he was less good looking it would've worked?

Anyway, it's a nitpick... I also thought the childhood memories sequence, while cute, was highly derivative of Being John Malkovich (anyone remember the chase through the subconscious with young Malkovich being teased by ornery tykes?) and the only time in the movie that I found Carey's acting irritating. So I guess it's fair to say LoveSickJerk and I are opposing forces of some sort...

But I loved the movie... just trying to add a little critical discourse to the fawning reviews here. Why? Because I live in Hollywood and see millions of movies and it's my nature... Sorry!

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:58 pm

Don't be sorry!
I see your point, and do disagree. I think EW played it like a sneaky whiney loser. He wasn't dark, just selfish and immature. I think he did do a good job. The childhood scenes were ridiculous, and absurd. Despite the possible derivation, it works better in this context. I laughed out loud at the sink scene. And then to have it close off the sequence the way it did was an AMAZING payoff. The other childhood scenes are a little unnerving, but i think its irritating effect was purposeful and intended. I liked them because it aggrivated me. That's my defense! counterpoint?

Return to “Cattywampus”