Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Punch Drunk Love left me with "That's it?" and Lost In Translation left me with "That's all?" whereas Eternal Sunshine left me with a satisfied "Thats it!"
hovering

Post by hovering »

LoveSickJerk wrote:Punch Drunk Love left me with "That's it?" and Lost In Translation left me with "That's all?" whereas Eternal Sunshine left me with a satisfied "Thats it!"

totally agreed. that's basically what I was going to say. there is the possibility that maybe I just didn't get it or something.. but at the end of the movie, I was like "wait, this is it?" -- I expected it to be so much more. magnolia is definitely my p.t. anderson film of choice. however, the soundtrack for punch-drunk love is awesome. I love jon brion.
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

I thought maybe now that this came out on disc and some of us just saw it for the first time we could resurrect this thread...

With that said, I really can't wrap my mind around how I'm feeling as a result of its viewing.

In that way, I think it was a great film.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

LoveSickJerk wrote:Punch Drunk Love left me with "That's it?" and Lost In Translation left me with "That's all?" whereas Eternal Sunshine left me with a satisfied "Thats it!"

Don´t be talking bad about Lost in Translation: It´s a beautiful story, great actors, an incredibly talented director and in my not so humble opinion it´s better then eternal sunshine.

thats all folks
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I'm not trying to talk bad about it, I just left the theatre with a less than satisfied feeling, whereas Eternal Sunshine left me very, very satisfied.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

for me it was just the other way around...

I thought this story was to romantic for Kaufman (and almost believable, wich is a bad thing in kaufmans case), but it wasn´t a bad movie, it was quite good, I just expected more.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Jeroen wrote:I thought this story was to romantic for Kaufman (and almost believable, wich is a bad thing in kaufmans case)

That's exactly what I like most about it: how it uses a great script not to dazzle you with how clever it is, but to slowly but deliberately take you on an emotional journey. And in the process it's spot-on about relationships, I think.

But did anyone else feel that the original version of Everybody's got to learn sometimes should have been there instead of Beck's?