I have to ask this again...

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

I have to ask this again...

Post by Moni »

I just posted this somewhere else, but I thought this would be a good place too.

The question is simply (it's two actually):

- Who's never heard the punchline to - "American beer is like making love in a canoe........"?
That just seems to be one of the most common jokes on the planet

- And secondly, is there anything to say in favor of American beer (especially from the perspective of a Candian, for example)?
Midori

Re: I have to ask this again...

Post by Midori »

Liz wrote:- Who's never heard the punchline to - "American beer is like making love in a canoe........"?
That just seems to be one of the most common jokes on the planet

Wasn't it a Monty Python thing? I can't recall for sure, but I think that's why it's so common.

I think American beer, specifically Miller Light, leaves a weird chemically taste on your tongue. That might just be because it's light, though. It's different than, say, Guinness, which I think has an earthier taste. If you like watery chemicals, American beer is for you.
Moni

Post by Moni »

Midori wrote:Wasn't it a Monty Python thing?

I think so - at least that's what I've been told...
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

I have never heard that punchline before. Whoever considers "American Beer" to be Miller and Coors has obviously never been to the Pacific Northwest. While maybe we don't export anything as notorious as Guinness that's of any worth (I'm not actually sure if we do or not), our micro-brews are amazing in my humble opinion.
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I believe it was John Cleese specifically. Its funny the first hundred times. trust me. But no, american beer is nothing in comparison to Canadian beer. In buffalo, we don't have to pay obscene amounts of cash for an "import" of Labatt's Blue or Molson Canadian. Molson Canadian (with twin label technology baby!) is my beer of choice. I'll have several tongiht in fact=)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Midori wrote:
Liz wrote:I think American beer, specifically Miller Light, leaves a weird chemically taste on your tongue. That might just be because it's light, though. It's different than, say, Guinness, which I think has an earthier taste. If you like watery chemicals, American beer is for you.

Isn't real guiness supposedly made out of the highly polluted water from the river that splits Dublin? Thats what I heard anyway...

Not that I don't agree with you....Guiness is far superior. However, its comparing a premium stout to a cheap lager, sorta apples and oranges there.

America has a lot of top microbrews. I would say the best beer I ever had was a lager at a place called Molly Maguires in Prauge, but the nutbrown at Nimbus Brewery in Tucson, AZ almost took that prize.

The Dixie Blackened Voodoo in New Orleans is amazing. And don't forget Arrogant Bastard Ale from California somewhere.

A lot of American companies tend to keep the best batches in the hometown...like Sam Adams in Boston is a completely different (and infintely more delicious) beer than what you can buy outside of it. Same for Voodoo. And Younglings.

But don't bother with Chicago. For some reason our brewmasters can put on a great concert festival, but can't keep the licorice out of the beer. ugh. yuck.
aj

Post by aj »

Betty Felon wrote:But don't bother with Chicago. For some reason our brewmasters can put on a great concert festival, but can't keep the licorice out of the beer. ugh. yuck.

Have you been to either the Maproom or the Hopleaf?
This is where you find real beer in Chicago.

As for Guinness and the River Liffey-- not so much. They do have health standards in Ireland. At one time... perhaps, but I imagine the water didn't need the purification that it now does, as humans are increasingly more disgusting with natural resources. Enough of me on that.

The Guinness in Ireland was amazing-- I think the beer is always best in its hometown.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I will put my vote in for Belgian beer, and it tastes just as great outside Belgium
I am glad they don't keep it to themselves!
aj

Post by aj »

Liesbeth wrote:I will put my vote in for Belgian beer, and it tastes just as great outside Belgium
I am glad they don't keep it to themselves!

mmm...yes. The Hopleaf has around 150 Belgian beers. delicious!
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

aj wrote:Have you been to either the Maproom or the Hopleaf?
This is where you find real beer in Chicago.

As for Guinness and the River Liffey-- not so much. They do have health standards in Ireland. At one time... perhaps, but I imagine the water didn't need the purification that it now does, as humans are increasingly more disgusting with natural resources. Enough of me on that.

The Guinness in Ireland was amazing-- I think the beer is always best in its hometown.

Yeah, I guess the guinness urban myth is a little far fetched, I still like the tale though, and will probably continue to perpetuate it for fun.

I have indeed been to both the maproom and the hopleaf. They are excellent bars. The hopleaf even has a room that's smoke free for easy breathing.

I was referring to beer actually brewed in Chicago though...Goose Island. Let's just say that I don't love it.

As for Beligan beer...yes, indeed, very delicious stuff. Gave Prague a run for the money, but Molly Mcquire's...seriously...best beer IN THE WORLD. EVER.
aj

Post by aj »

Betty Felon wrote:
I was referring to beer actually brewed in Chicago though...Goose Island. Let's just say that I don't love it.

agreed. I was very disappointed with the lack of a good brew pub. Ann Arbor had some fun places even. what's up with chicago? sadness.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

I think Betty is right about American microbrews keepin the best stuff local. If yer ever in Beantown get the Sam Adams Double Bock (on tap) it's the best. But I drink Scotch, so I really can't add that much. Hiccup.
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

Liz wrote:
- And secondly, is there anything to say in favor of American beer (especially from the perspective of a Candian, for example)?

I have several relatives from former British colonies who swear that American beer is lovely stuff because you can drink as much as you like and never get terribly drunk.

I have a strong feeling these same relatives would jump at the chance to drink beer-flavored water as well.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

hey grant, let's get rich and market beer-flavored water in the US, bet it would fly. we could aim for the "ex-frat guys who now are work-out freaks" set.
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

no pic wrote:hey grant, let's get rich and market beer-flavored water in the US, bet it would fly. we could aim for the "ex-frat guys who now are work-out freaks" set.

You're both too late, its already here. Its called Budweiser.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

har har har
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

I also meant to point out that the wonderful thing about our state (Washington) particularly is that to have a good micro-brew, you don't actually have to go to a micr-brewery. Walking any supermarket aisle will get you a fine assortment.

Thank you for pointing out that the Liffey is in Ireland. Now I know where Thom Yorke is floating when he sings "I float down the Liffey".
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

damn, i miss beer, but it gives me such a tummy ache
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

and I was thinking the only thing you guys drink up there is coffee!

as for beer water, it's typical that the pissiest tasting dutch beer is so popular in the US (yes, it's my monthly Heineken rant)

Although it's not hugely special really, when in Denmark I like Gold Beer. It sounds better in Danish actually: guld øl. It's stronger than ordinary beer, and I also like that you usually get it served in the bottle at a bar, there's something about that - peeling off the gold lable as you are drinking it.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Old Cocktail Server's Tale:

Peeling the label on your beer bottle is a sign of sexual frustration.