it's spring swap time

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed May 19, 2004 4:33 am

Its finished! I'm sending it out today to Chelsea! I'll post track listing soon! Woo woo! When is the next one? =)

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed May 19, 2004 6:33 am

Posies, lovely lovely Posies.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 19, 2004 10:41 am

Liesbeth wrote:I'm still finishing a mix for my husband for our wedding anniversary (think Hi-Fidelity, I've spent the past month getting it just right, and am not sure about the sequencing yet - this sure is a labour of love), so after Sunday I will start on your tape, AK.

That's fine...your tape is done but I haven't even begun working on the cover yet. And I just started New Girl's mix and Cover Tapes are HARD! Since I'm all about value AND quantity I'm using 90 minute tape and I'm quickly running out of material. Also it's hard to gauge the flow of a covers tape since the majority are somewhat amusing. And let me ask this, has anyone else doing a covers tape found that the majority of covers are live? So this may not be one of my best mixes as far as the actual mixing goes but I think it should be quite fun to listen to.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed May 19, 2004 1:23 pm

Well, one thing I've found is that every "tribute" album has at least one above-average track, and some are full of marvels.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 19, 2004 3:13 pm

grant wrote:Well, one thing I've found is that every "tribute" album has at least one above-average track, and some are full of marvels.

This is true. I've already busted out a Radiohead tribute album. Usually I'd say what's the point in covering Radiohead? But this actually has a fantastic cover of Fitter Happier of all things. (truth be told I actually own 3 RH cover albums). I haven't busted out Encomium yet, but may have to if my cd collection runs dry.

hovering

Postby hovering » Thu May 20, 2004 6:22 am

totally off guard, but speaking of covers, has anyone listened to Almost You: the elvis costello tribute cd? it's good stuff, you guys.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Thu May 20, 2004 6:42 am

hovering wrote:totally off guard, but speaking of covers, has anyone listened to Almost You: the elvis costello tribute cd? it's good stuff, you guys.

No! Who's on it? When did it come out? I want it!

hovering

Postby hovering » Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am

it came out in 2002, i think.

it's got matt pond pa, vic chesnutt, jon auer, deathray davies, okkervil river and some various people i've probably never heard of but should listen to beyond this. it's pretty awesome, i'd suggest checking it out.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Thu May 20, 2004 12:28 pm

My fave tribute album is The Bridge, all Neil Young, all great. I have it on vinyl somewhere...Then there was that Stay Awake All Night, or somesuch, which was all covers of old Disney tunes, done by your fave indie rockers from the 80's, I think-that was cool.

I realized I only put one cover on mine, but it's a doozy-The Bad Plus do Velouria! Yeah!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu May 20, 2004 1:02 pm

I'll put some covers on AK's tape, but it's not gonna be a cover exclusive, there are far too many great original songs that want on, and how can I deny them that opportunity

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Mon May 24, 2004 10:26 am

no pic wrote:My fave tribute album is The Bridge, all Neil Young, all great. I have it on vinyl somewhere...Then there was that Stay Awake All Night, or somesuch, which was all covers of old Disney tunes, done by your fave indie rockers from the 80's, I think-that was cool.

I realized I only put one cover on mine, but it's a doozy-The Bad Plus do Velouria! Yeah!

Stay Awake was my introduction to the "tribute album" concept -- Suzanne Vega did the title track, which is the lullaby from Mary Poppins. The standout track on that album, for me, isn't actually a cover -- it's the Ken Nordine/Bill Frisell "word jazz" piece about Pinocchio and the circus.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Mon May 24, 2004 10:43 am

figured it would be grant that got it! You married, grant?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed May 26, 2004 4:16 am

I haven't seen many people posting track listings on that there LJ. What gives true believers?

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed May 26, 2004 8:03 am

no pic wrote:figured it would be grant that got it! You married, grant?

Yes, but I do get an earnest thrill out of indecent proposals. That, and I've never entirely set aside my boyhood dream of starting a Manson/Jim-Jones-esque cult family, with a rotating roster of sub-wives and concubines. If it was all for the cause of my patented self-development program, I'm sure the current spouse could be persuaded to endorse the arrangement. All I'd really need after that is the deed to some real estate in a remote area -- perhaps near the Belize/Guatemala border... but I digress.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Wed May 26, 2004 8:48 am

hmm, tempting, but I'm afraid the Hutch's ego would not sit well with bein wife #2...

LSJ-I'm gonna post my list, but I was waitin 'till I actually got it in the mail

hovering

Postby hovering » Wed May 26, 2004 10:17 am

help me get out of this rut.
I used to have skillz when it came to making good mixes, but I think I lost it. we'll see, we'll see-- it could be worse. now, I need to make a cover and it'll be in the mail.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 26, 2004 1:17 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:I haven't seen many people posting track listings on that there LJ. What gives true believers?

I haven't yet because I haven't sent the tape yet and I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu May 27, 2004 12:53 pm

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:I haven't yet because I haven't sent the tape yet and I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Cool, thanks muchos for that!

I haven't yet, because I still haven't started yet. Probably this weekend, which is a long one because we have another one of those religious holidays. Not meaning to complain, but it would have been more convenient to have had two months each between Easter, Ascension Day and Pentecoast. I mean, didn't Jesus do anything special from July until November?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri May 28, 2004 7:54 am

Well if it wasn't for "Ordinary Time" everything else would less EXTRA Ordinary!

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:27 am

mine's up (don't peek Heather!)

There was so much that didn't make it, despite a 110min tape!-i can't wait 'till the next round...

Return to “Cattywampus”