it's spring swap time

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Fi

Post by Fi »

quick shout out to Grant for a superbly creative and thoroughly entertaining mix tape. sweet stuff. very tidy work son, as we say down here.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Glad to hear it!

Have you gotten that Belles song stuck on an endless loop in your head yet? It can happen. It can happen.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

Liesbeth wrote:Not meaning to complain, but it would have been more convenient to have had two months each between Easter, Ascension Day and Pentecoast.

Mmm, I just found out that Pentecost is a jewish thing, I actually meant Whitsuntide. I think. Here's where my knowledge of English comes to a grinding halt.

I should kick my husband and his guitar out of the livingroom and get started on the tape. But it's too nice having him around - even if he now sings like Barry Gibb. Freakiest thing, last weekend one of his songs (well, some 20 seconds of it) was used as background music in a tv car show on one of the commercial channels. Eternal fame!
Anyway, I did clean the tape deck heads last weekend, so I'm not a total slacker.
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

Liesbeth wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:Not meaning to complain, but it would have been more convenient to have had two months each between Easter, Ascension Day and Pentecoast.

Mmm, I just found out that Pentecost is a jewish thing, I actually meant Whitsuntide. I think. Here's where my knowledge of English comes to a grinding halt.

I should kick my husband and his guitar out of the livingroom and get started on the tape. But it's too nice having him around - even if he now sings like Barry Gibb. Freakiest thing, last weekend one of his songs (well, some 20 seconds of it) was used as background music in a tv car show on one of the commercial channels. Eternal fame!
Anyway, I did clean the tape deck heads last weekend, so I'm not a total slacker.

That's okay, I'm not any closer to having cover art for yours either. Although I did buy envelopes, so that's a start. And Side A is done of New Girl's tape.
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

No, no, no -- Pentecost is the feast 50 days after Easter when the tongues of flame came down to the apostles and gave them "gifts of the Spirit," such as the ability to speak in tongues. This is where the Christian denomination "Pentecostalism" gets its name. Literally, it's from the Greek for "50". It's also the name for the Jewish feast of Shavuot, the 50th day of the Omer count, but for Christians, Whitsunday and Pentecost are the same thing.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

ah, thanks, I knew you would be able to shed light on this matter.

it hasn't brought me any closer to recording that tape, but then again I was ill this weekend....
if it takes a week to for the package to get to the States, then I have another week to start on it and it will still be in time for Midsummernight.

since I'm such a slacker, I'd say the next swap might be in better hands with someone else. I will of course participate!
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

Hello all you swappers,

Midsummer is drawing near, so here's a warning that you have five more days to get your mix out, if you haven't done so yet.
Thankfully I have posted mine today, and if the postal service (ha!) is cooperative, it might even get to Kenmore in time. Probably not, but if it's late, I blame the tulips - creating the artwork is about as delicate as the actual mix.

I was gonna make a mix tape, but the recording side of our tapedeck is broken. So instead I made a cd, but in tape fashion: listening to each track completely before moving on to the next song. This has made me realise that I have put several songs on comp cds this past year that have weird bits on the end (the start of the next song for example) that shouldn't have been on the cd, oops.
Funny thing is, that this compilation has very many songs that were on my winter swap mix too. Not sure that I should post a tracklisting, it would be giving away much for future swaps...
hovering

Post by hovering »

i am such a bad mail-sender. hutch sent me an awesome tape, along with a south san gabriel live cd from sxsw. so now i need to get to work on this damn cover.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

actually, the live SSG is frm Dan's Silverleaf in Denton, cuz it was a perfect board feed n the crowd was silent. All around a better recording than the SXSW one. minor point. n Will said he was happy to have it passed around.

No hurry, sweetie!