but..I didn't know she was a virgin!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

hovering

but..I didn't know she was a virgin!

Postby hovering » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:51 pm

yes, I really just said that.
confession: I work in a corporate music store. you know, the one in the mall that sells cd's for $19.99 and has no shame about it? I'm sorry, mom. I'm sorry, god. I'm sorry, mel gibson. but it pays the bills, sometimes.

anyway. today I was doing the weekly shipment and I pick up a random cd from the pile (it's become like clockwork that I don't even look) and it was when I pretend to fall. now, we've carried some barsuk releases (let go, transatlanticism, some of that super pop and gay bullshit, you know) but never the long winters. I was pleasantly surprised. approximately an hour later, an adorable little girl (my guess: age 12) walked in and said "do you have death cab for cutie?" -- I showed her transatlanticism but she said "no, no.. we have the facts and we're voting yes" -- I said no, she looked disappointed but said she would go home and order it from barsuk. she asked if we sold any other barsuk releases and I said "well, the long winters are awesome and so good that your face will hurt from smiling so much when you listen to them, so you should buy it." -- she listened to it, said "this is GOOD! thank you so much" and I felt as if I did my good deed for the day. and now, when she finds herself singing along loudly to "stupid" in the car, she'll always think of me, the lovely corporate music store employee who introduce her to such a beautiful, beautiful thing.

so, how often do you guys try to push them onto other people?

junkyardtodd

Postby junkyardtodd » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:07 pm

i am kinda like the boss at work (after the real boss goes home), plus, it's my CD player, so I am inflicting my impeccable musical taste on an almost daily basis. except thursday, when we have DISCO NIGHT!!!

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:09 pm

That is a really adorable story.

stephanie

Postby stephanie » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:31 am

That is a really adorable story told by a really adorable girl.

<3.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:07 pm

ohmygod yes that story's quite beautiful.

i have introduced one friend to the greatness that is the long winters...i need to start working on others.

aj

Postby aj » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:10 pm

I'm 3 going on 5.

one of them even went to the show in Ann Arbor and I only gave him 24 hours notice. he said he'd go because he trusts my judgment. I'm not going to let him know that when I clean my apt I always throw a little "sex bomb" into the cleaning frenzy mix.

that's right. sex bomb. tom jones. we all got guilty pleasures/character flaws.

jess

Postby jess » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:34 pm

i'm the opposite my friends told me about the band after hearing them on KEXP and one after becoming friends with sean. i am doing my part though everyone i have talked with in the last few weeks has heard the wonders of tlw.

aj tom jones isn't as bad as mine...(gulp..i can't believe i am going to admit this)...john mayer's "your body is a wonderland" yes i am an admited hopeless romantic but my astounding ani difranco collection should be a balance for it right?

heather

Postby heather » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:27 pm

1. tom jones is awesome.

2. working at the man's music store sucks. i used to work at the goody. i liked to ignore store policy and play the hydra and blonde redhead. then i would send the kids who liked it down to sonic boom. now i work at sonic boom. the lesson to this story? SAM GOODY SUCKS.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:00 pm

heather wrote: the lesson to this story? SAM GOODY SUCKS.

but of course.

heather

Postby heather » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:33 pm

holy crap. i just realised that my OTHER heather-half wrote that post!

this is super wierd. i used to work at sam goody, you work at some other corporate music store now, i'm a heather you're a heather...

i think i just blew my own mind. is that possible?

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:28 pm

heather wrote:i think i just blew my own mind. is that possible?

I think there are entire corners of the internet devoted to it. Possibly <i>dark</i> corners...

hovering

Postby hovering » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:44 pm

heather! THE GOODY! i wish i worked at the goody versus where i do work. but alas, corporate music stores suck. one of these days, i will get out.

heather

Postby heather » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:37 pm

Flyn wrote:

I think there are entire corners of the internet devoted to it. Possibly <i>dark</i> corners...

flyn, you and that mind of yours won't get you anywhere talking like that.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:30 pm

heather wrote:
Flyn wrote:

flyn, you and that mind of yours won't get you anywhere talking like that.

crap. it was the italics, wasn't it?

relating to the thread's topic, I've converted several friends / coworkers to "the way." It seems to work best if you can expose them briefly to the album, and then a live show. I'll leave off any bad metaphors or italics from my post, this time.

Return to “Cattywampus”