san francisco v seattle

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

dear_prudence

san francisco v seattle

Postby dear_prudence » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:06 pm

if you had a choice between attending san francisco state university
or u of washington (being from california and the first being much cheaper but seemingly less appealing, keeping in mind that choices were influenced by music) where would you choose to go?
hope today is beautiful

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:54 pm

hmm...that's a good question. both cities rock pretty hard from what i know. i'm a senior at the UW in seattle and i love it. always have, always will. i've not had one regret about going to the UW. you can major in practically anything you want to, and it's cheap if you're a WA state resident. plus, seattle's just the greatest. sure, there's some rain, and not a WHOLE lot of sun, but there's not as much rain as you think, and there CAN be a whole lot of sun from time to time. being in seattle also means easy access to sonic boom and easy street instores, a decent show almost any night of the week, and landmark theatres. plus, when you're a UW student, you get this thing called a U-PASS that lets you ride the buses in and around seattle for free, whenever and as much as you wish. it's a good deal.

so there's my two cents about why the UW is good. i don't know much about the music scene in san francisco...but i hope that's at least a bit helpful.

hovering

Postby hovering » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:23 pm

sun is so overrated, says the girl from florida. SO OVERRATED.

either way, you're going to be living in a nice city. do whatever feels right.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:21 pm

I personally went to the in-between choice, Humboldt State University. Located in Arcata, California (suburb of Eureka, California).

Though, if I had the ability to go to UW, I'd go.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:36 am

BladeRunner wrote:I personally went to the in-between choice, Humboldt State University. Located in Arcata, California (suburb of Eureka, California).

Though, if I had the ability to go to UW, I'd go.

oh god, i know somebody who's going there.

unfortunately, he's a complete dick.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:28 am

I think you should look into Wassamatta U.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:07 am

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD: SEATTLE.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: san francisco v seattle

Postby Moni » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:43 am

dear_prudence wrote:if you had a choice between attending san francisco state university
or u of washington (being from california and the first being much cheaper but seemingly less appealing, keeping in mind that choices were influenced by music) where would you choose to go?
hope today is beautiful

i guess you have already considered money issues, scholarship possibilities, part time jobs, living costs, which one has the better departments/teachers?

from what i know UW is very expensive, but i have no idea about SFSU.
seattle should be more fun tho i imagine

jess

Postby jess » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:01 am

I have indie rock friends who just got back from SF and said the scene was really lame music wise(this is their view, not mine). As a seattle resident I have to agree with Chelsea it is very cool here. And the summers are incredible!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:22 pm

dear dear prudence,

Never let money influence your decisions more than is necessary. If you do it right, you will end college overeducated and in debt either way.

Yes, foresight and discipline are virtues, yada yada, but don't let the lettuce corrupt your ideals.

And Seattle...overpriced, indulgent and swarming with talent...well, it's ideal.

Ultimately, you want to spend the end of youth in the place that will bring out the best in you, where your life will be most interesting and exciting, and where there are the most like minded souls to befriend. And also, the best soundtrack. Between the two, I would choose Seattle without blinking.

(But, um...you know, about money... be smart. You know that guy who wants to give you a free tshirt for filling out that 19% APR credit card application? He's not your friend.)

the end,
by Betty

p.s.-- fyi, interest on college loans is tax deductable.
p.p.s-- I've never been to Seattle. ha ha.

Return to “Cattywampus”