evergreen

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

hovering

evergreen

Post by hovering »

okay, guys, I need your help. I know a good majority of you live in washington, so, if you can offer any words of encouragement or something, anything, I'd appreciate it.

I live in florida. I hate living in florida. I go to a crappy school. I don't want to go to any univeristy in florida. I want to get the hell out of florida. can you blame me? I am sure you can not.

anyway, I want to live on the west coast. funny, because I've never been. but I imagine myself enjoying it, a lot. university of washington is way too expensive for me. I think I'd like a liberal arts school, just because.. uh, yeah. just because. so I've been thinking about evergreen.

does anyone go there? know someone who goes there? give me a pro/con list? something, anything? I plan on going to seattle (hopefully) before 2004 is up so I'll take a trip to olympia, but really, if someone has something to say, say it.

thanks.
(also: excuse incoherence. I gave up caffeine and it's showing.)
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

Evergreen is the school for modern day hippies. If your "in-crowd" consists of hemp wearing, dreadlocked, non-bathing, everything-protestors then it's the place for you. In fact, in Washington to words Hippie and "Greener" are practially synonymous. That said, I have heard that Matt Groening attended Evergreen and he is the greatest creative genius of our generation. Does that help?
hovering

Post by hovering »

well, I definitely already knew that much. but I don't care so much about the fellow students as I care about the quality of education (my god, how ridiculous does that sound?) -- the tuition is affordable, it seems to be in a good location, and it offers what I want. and hey, the hippies have never done anything to hurt me. just.. uh.. not bathing.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Have you given Western Washington University a look? It's semi-resonably priced, and it's in Bellingham (home to Death Cab!) which is a really nice town. I shall be attending there next fall
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

i really don't like evergreen's campus that much, but then again i realize that it's the education you're after...i've known of people leaving evergreen for the UW and people leaving the UW for evergreen, so i'm sure it does have its pros and cons. i think your best bet would be to either talk to someone who actually goes there or just visit yourself.

i'm surprised it's cheaper than the UW. and yes, do check out western. bellingham, while it's no seattle, is awesome, and i think definitely has alot over olympia.

oh, and you know that evergreen doesn't give grades, right?
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

I think both Evergreen and Western have great reputations and are great schools. It comes down to what you want from the school. Evergreen can be a little inward looking, but there are also really creative people and programs there. Western is more of a traditional State college, but only slightly. It's actually perched on a cliff on the far edge of the world and seems like a great place to study.

Personally I think the Northwest is an ideal place to go to college. There are plenty of great schools in Oregon too, that have a similar vibe, like Lewis and Clark, or Portland State. Stay out of Eugene though.

good luck
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

I had friends go to both Western and Evergreen, and I think both are good schools depending on personality and post-undergrad education plans. Evergreen does seem to be the slightly more liberal crowd, and I think Western gives the more traditional educational experience with a broader cross-section of society (keeping in mind that it's western Washington and just about everybody's pretty liberal). If your plans include some kind of grad/med/law school, Western might be the better choice as I know several people from Evergreen who had some trouble w/ those schools as they had no undergrad grades, just written evaluations from faculty. Additionally, Evergreen's majors tend to be a little more limited than Western. And, one more perk of Western (assuming you're coming straight from HS) is it's really close to Canadia and drinking at 19...along with the other cultural perks of Vancouver...

As for the Oregon schools, I grew up near Portland and I've taken classes at Portland State. You could find far worse towns that Portland to spend 4 years in, and the under-21 music scene might be a little better than Seattle. Portland State's a really nice urban campus and I've heard good things about Lewis and Clark from a couple friends and even a few of my Profs who went there w/ in the last 15 years or so. Of course, if you're after the hippy vibe of Evergreen, there's also Reed College in Portland...

One thing I would avoid in terms of Northwest schools...Eastern Washington schools (Eastern Washington U, Central Washington U, Whitworth, Gonzaga). The two state schools are cheaper than their west-side counterparts, but for good reason...Cheney and Ellensburg aren't excatly cultural hot spots. I can't really speak to Whitworth other than expensive and conservative. I'm going to graduate from Gonzaga in 10 days or so (yay!) and I'm damn ready to get out of Spoke-vegas, although it's been a good education...

So there's my essay on northwest schools...much more fun to write than the biochem essay I should be working on :)
Midori

Re: evergreen

Post by Midori »

hovering wrote:I live in florida. I hate living in florida. I go to a crappy school. I don't want to go to any univeristy in florida. I want to get the hell out of florida. can you blame me? I am sure you can not.

Oh it's not all bad....Come to the University of Miami. We can be pals.
heather

Post by heather »

You gave up caffiene? [i gave up spelling correcktly.] Me too!

WHY ARE WE LIVING THE SAME LIFE? WHAT IS HAPPENING TO US?
hovering

Post by hovering »

thanks everyone.
I was also thinking about portland, too. the point someone made about the 21 & under music scene is a good one because I'd like to live in seattle (or in close proximity) one day, but I'm not 21. basically, I'm just looking for something that feels 'right'. so, I'll take some trips and send off for a million catalogs/packages and if I end up somewhere I don't like, oh well. at least I'll get to see places. it isn't hard to find a school that offers what I'm looking for (english education major with a possible minor in women's studies) -- but I heard evergreen had a great master's in teaching program, so that sounded nice. I imagine the northwest as a whole to be more liberal [in general terms] than florida. I made the mistake of not applying to a "real college" out of high school because I a) didn't think I could afford it, b) for some reason, wasn't ready to leave florida, and c) was scared of rejection, so I'm doing the whole commnity college thing and yeah, 100% sick of it. it just feels like high school all over again and that just isn't cool.
decisions, decisions, decisions.

Midori wrote:
Oh it's not all bad....Come to the University of Miami. We can be pals.

I would go to the university of miami so I can take a film class with sam beam.

chelsea wrote:oh, and you know that evergreen doesn't give grades, right?

that seems like the best part about it! except, when I try to find a real job one day, that could potentially be a problem. oh well. chelsea, what's your major? just curious.

heather wrote:You gave up caffiene? [i gave up spelling correcktly.] Me too!

WHY ARE WE LIVING THE SAME LIFE? WHAT IS HAPPENING TO US?

isn't it the hardest thing ever? or maybe that's just me. see, you give up caffeine and have beer to fall back on. i give up caffeine and have to drink fucking orange juice. or something.
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

The other plus side of Portland is that it is home of The Decemberists, 2nd greatest indie rock band currently in existence (second only to TLW of course). Too bad you're not here now...you could see them both at once tonight and tomorrow.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

hovering wrote:

chelsea wrote:oh, and you know that evergreen doesn't give grades, right?

that seems like the best part about it! except, when I try to find a real job one day, that could potentially be a problem. oh well. chelsea, what's your major? just curious.

moi? my major is le français...though i was gonna major in biology for awhile, so i so i've taken alot of science classes. they should give me at least a minor in "competitive as all hell pre-med classes." (though it's vet school i'd kinda like to attend).
Red

To Green or not to Green

Post by Red »

I was a greener for the first two years of my college career. Evergreen has a great reputation outside of Washington. The locals mostly see it as a "Hippie School" where everyone hacks and is in drum circles. This is partly true. But I met a lot of hard core academics who chose Evergreen because it allowed them the freedom that mainstream education didn't. The school definitely has its pros and cons. At Evergreen, I was in amazing programs and had faculty that I still keep in touch with. But I am just not an Olympian and was miserable there. I transferred to UW for my last two years of higher learning. Seattle was so much kinder to me than Olympia was.

If you are looking for an educational program like Evergreen, a lot of schools have "do it yourself" departments. UW has CHID (comparitive history of ideas) and WWU has the Fairhaven College where you can design your own major. I know it's a hard and confusing decision. Good luck.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

I have to put a word in for my alma mater, New College in Sarasota, FL.

If you decide to stay in Florida, you should definitely check it out.

* no grades in the classic sense (written evaluations)
* students encouraged to develop own curriculum, tutorials and classes
* academic contract
* 4-1-4 schedule
* independent study in January
* senior thesis, baccalaureate defense
* *great* people and instructors who are engaged
* in-state tuition is insanely low (about $4k)

I loved it, and wouldn't have traded my time there for anything in the world.
jess

Post by jess »

I have to second John stay the hell out of Eugene, most of my friends from high school went or ended up there and from what I have gathered from them it is VERY small. If you are looking at Oregon, Portland is the place (although I left to come to Seattle because it is bigger) especially if you are looking for liberal. For the record Portland is the (or at least one) of the most politically left cities in the country. But honestly I love Seattle much better. Hope this helps.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Yes, New College is like Evergreen. Only vastly superior.

You will not believe you are still in Florida (if your Florida is boring and conservative).
aj

Post by aj »

this is a bit of a tangent, but seems like those of you answering this post would be helpful. anyone have an opinion on UW's theatre and women's studies programs? overall and specifically grad school?
jess

Post by jess »

UW has a good theatre program, and their theatre graduate program is good but extremely hard to get into. I have several professional actor friends who have spent years trying to get in, finally they ended up opting for other theatre graduate programs.
hovering

Post by hovering »

so, new college in sarasota sounds pretty excellent, but my only problem with that is being too far away from any decent city to venture to for rock shows. i am always up for a drive and/or "mini-road trip" but florida, why must you be so large and decent cities be so vast?

but, yes, thank you merlin & grant. i am thankful for fellow and ex-floridians, all the same.
aj

Post by aj »

jess wrote:UW has a good theatre program, and their theatre graduate program is good but extremely hard to get into. I have several professional actor friends who have spent years trying to get in, finally they ended up opting for other theatre graduate programs.

I was just kinda wondering about the program as a whole. I'm not interested in the MFA acting thing. I guess maybe I should clarify-- I'm looking for a program in which I can co-enroll with the women's studies or sociology department. feminist theatre/performance. theatre for social change, theatre of the oppressed, etc. I'm completely turned off by the "business of acting," although I know there is a lot for me to learn in that regard.