Hope for us all

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Hope for us all

Postby Betty Felon » Tue May 18, 2004 10:26 am

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/20 ... love_x.htm

This is one of the best love stories I've heard in a long time.

Aging octopus finds love

Aging octopus finds love
ANCHORAGE (AP) — It looks like J-1 is in love. After meeting the very fetching and slightly younger Aurora, he changed color and his eight arms became intertwined with hers. Then, the two retreated to a secluded corner to get to know each other better. We're talking about giant Pacific octopuses here.

Love almost passed J-1 by. At 5 years of age and 52 pounds, he's reaching the end of the line for his species, the largest octopus in the world. J-1 is in a period of decline that occurs before octopus die. His skin is eroding. His suckers have divots.

"He's not as strong as he used to be," said aquarist Deanna Trobaugh.

With so little time left, J-1 wasn't going to let the sweet Aurora slip through his eight octopus arms. While she had to make the first move, he caught on quickly, especially for an octopus who was collected on a beach near Seldovia in 1999 when he was about the size of a quarter and has lived the bachelor life since....

aj

Postby aj » Tue May 18, 2004 11:01 am

Aurora is such an Anna Nicole.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue May 18, 2004 11:57 am

"If with many, many children, Aurora — who was about the size of a grapefruit when she was found in 2002 living inside an old tire in front of the SeaLife Center — will stop eating while she tends her eggs. She will weaken and die soon after they hatch."

Wow...do you think if Anna Nicole got pregnant she would stop eating and then die? Freaky.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Tue May 18, 2004 12:03 pm

Betty Felon wrote:"If with many, many children, Aurora — who was about the size of a grapefruit when she was found in 2002 living inside an old tire in front of the SeaLife Center — will stop eating while she tends her eggs. She will weaken and die soon after they hatch."

Wow...do you think if Anna Nicole got pregnant she would stop eating and then die? Freaky.

I don't think Anna Nicole would stop eating if the only food left was her children.

aj

Postby aj » Tue May 18, 2004 12:18 pm

I was only speaking of the age factor.

And also the publicity/recognition.

aj

Postby aj » Tue May 18, 2004 12:21 pm

disheartening that the older male/younger female thing exists even amongst octopi.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue May 18, 2004 2:34 pm

Hahaha....I like to think of it as the female is so mature that she needs an older man who has finally reached the level she is already at. <jk>

Let's not be cynical. I choose to believe that this is true octopi love. It extends beyond age barriers and background differences. Love at first site no less. le sigh...

aj

Postby aj » Wed May 19, 2004 7:03 am

not be cynical you say?

impossible!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 19, 2004 8:48 am

why? Is cynicism back in style? I knew Irony couldn't last. Did we skip over earnestness completely?

aj

Postby aj » Wed May 19, 2004 9:00 am

cynicism is the new black. again.

earnestness? don't think it was ever in style.

unless, of course, you're pairing them together.

earnest cynicism. like polka dots w/stripes. you don't think its gonna work, but once you put it on, you're money. so money you don't even know it.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed May 19, 2004 10:01 am

Earnestness in its sweet desperate form reared its head yesterday at my friend's 21st birthday party. It was dotted with a cuteness that made me leave after an hour.

Cynicism it is.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 19, 2004 10:21 am

I have never heard a 21st birthday described as "sweet", "desperate", or "cute". Makes me think I want to hear this story.

Return to “Cattywampus”