The Thermals

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

heather

The Thermals

Post by heather »

Holy Fudge. Who else went to their show on Monday at the Croc? They played SO well, it was fucking amazing. Granted, I was in the "crunk zone" but that just multiplied the awesome-ness by 25, so you know that they were already super great. Yeah. Time for work now.
hovering

Post by hovering »

i was there in spirit. fuck, i wish i could stop listening to fuckin' a. wait, no i don't, why would i say such a thing?
iheartbarsuk

fuckin a!

Post by iheartbarsuk »

I adore the Thermals! I wish I had a fake id/was 5 years older. I had to miss the show at the Croc
I've been listening to Fuckin A for the last 12 days nonstop. It's fantastic.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

This band is in Chi this weekend. I have heard many things about them, but not any actually music from them.

Should I go? I think I should go. I just might go.
heather

Post by heather »

No "might" Betty Felon. YOU WILL GO SEE THE THERMALS. AND LOVE THEM. HEATHER HATH SPOKETH-EN.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

i've only heard one song from "fuckin' a" so far, but i'll tell you this. if you put "more parts per million" into your cd player, realize that it won't be coming out for a while. a long while.

and holy sweet goddamn, they were great opening up for death cab. i heart them alot.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

I saw the Thermals open up for Death Cab one time and...let's just say I was entirely unimpressed with their performance. They may have just had an off night, but I don't know...To be fair, I haven't heard them on record, so I guess I can't really judge them yet.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

Unremarkable wrote:I saw the Thermals open up for Death Cab one time and...let's just say I was entirely unimpressed with their performance. They may have just had an off night, but I don't know...To be fair, I haven't heard them on record, so I guess I can't really judge them yet.
no, you CAN'T. and #$*@. i don't think i included them in your CD extravaganza package. that just means there'll be a second CD extravaganza package!
heather

Post by heather »

DUDES. EVERYONE MUST LISTEN TO THE ALBUM 'FUCKIN A'. AND RECOGNIZE THE RAD-NESS AND YEAH. BE IMPRESSED.

HEATHER HATH SPOKETH YET AGAINETH.
iheartbarsuk

Post by iheartbarsuk »

You have to like/love/heart/adore the Thermals! What are you all talking about?! They're universally loved, just like Nada Surf. You can't go wrong with the Thermals!
Just go buy Fuckin A and you'll see what we mean!
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

i saw the thermals in NYC with sleater-kinney. the wonderful girlposse that accompanied me summed them up perfectly: they basically play one song for about 30 minutes at a time, but it's a damn good song.
heather

Post by heather »

again: exactly.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

So I listened to the heather and went to the show last night.

Well, I would say it was pretty darn good. The Thermals remind me of highschool....the good parts of highschool.

However, the big surprise was an opening band, The Hold Steady. They ROCKED. There was even witty banter. I highly reccommend that you all see them when they come your way.

And who was working the merch table? Why our very own board sprite, stephanie.

And then, just to top it all off, I met a man with a tattoo of a flaming cupcake.

thumbs up.
hovering

Post by hovering »

see, heather told you to go because she knew stephanie would be there and EVERYONE should love the hold steady (and the thermals, of course) and well, i'll shut up.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I think she knew about the flaming cupcake tattoo also. that heather.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I just checked it out: The Thermals/ The Hold Steady tour stops in buffalo TOMORROW! and even curiouser (not a word), it starts at 6 pm. Maybe cause its a school night and its 16+ show. Ah well, viva la france!
stephanie

ALL THE SNIVELING INDIE KIDS: HOLD STEADY

Post by stephanie »

Folks! Please, please go see the tour. Get there early and catch the openers. They will overwhelm you with their sniping literacy and wicked shredding. Additionally, are they the tightest live band of all time, even when absolutely plastered? They are.

AHEM.

The Hold Steady are the very, very dearest of the very, very dear -- plus, according to Biotchfork, they have GORY RIFFAGE, MERCILESS NOODLING, TOOTHY MONOLOGUES, and SPRAWLING DISSERTATIONS. Also, lots of guitar solos, lifted gently from the annals of AC/DC. Trust me on this.
In the words of the overly effusive Amanda Petrusich: "The Hold Steady are the anti-trucker hat, the anti-laptop, the anti-West-Virginia-t-shirt. And they rock without repent." (Actually, the only thing that really rings true in that review is that Craig will always buy your next drink.)
I am not saying any of this because I do their website or because I was sort of their first fan or because I just got back from a mini-tour with them or because they will happily beat up anyone who fucks with me, including my ex-boyfriend/s. I am saying this because they are the best band 3V4R. 3V4R, I say!

Oh yeah: the Thermals. Yep. Didn't want to get too OT.
iheartbarsuk

Post by iheartbarsuk »

So why can't the Thermals do another last show at Seattle on this tour they're off on? I want them back.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

iheartbarsuk wrote:So why can't the Thermals do another last show at Seattle on this tour they're off on? I want them back.
good bloody question. i do too.
Ryan

the thermals

Post by Ryan »

the thermals are one of very few bands who make me want to put down my camera and ROCK THE FUCK OUT at a show. and the new album has been playing non-stop for the last two months - at home, in the car...it's better than the first one and that is hard to even comprehend. as imaginary liz once said... "i just want to eat their heads..."