what are you reading?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Kateness

what are you reading?

Postby Kateness » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:39 am

I'm about a quarter of the way through Zadie Smith's The Autograph Man, myself. I've never read any of her stuff before, but I do believe I like her writing style.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:11 am

"Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions" by Ben Mezrich. This book is word-crack. I haven't done any actual work in three days.

Also, "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis. This book is awesome.

Also, I just bought "Songbook" by Nick Hornby--- anyone read it? How about the new David Sedaris?

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:11 am

Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing by Stephan Hoeller.

He's a Jungian, Hoeller, with a genuine love for the power of story. That said, it's not a novel, but a popularly accessible book about non-orthodox Christianity and early European mystical traditions.

You can read a brief essay by the man here. He's quite the gnostic himself, hoping to launch a theological revolution.

I once read a condensed, magazine article version of that Vegas book. Charming scheme those students hit upon. Are some of them still "in the game"?

heathalouise

Postby heathalouise » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:30 am

I'm on a total nonfiction kick these days.

I just finished A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks, which wasn't nearly as interesting as it should have been. It was missing something -- oh yeah, I remember what it was -- interviews with Bob Dylan.

Now I'm reading Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls. It's dredging up way too many bad memories of junior high, but it's incredibly fascinating.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:38 am

I just went for a sailing trip which is my Summer opportunity to actually read, since I seldom have time. I read Tricky Business by Dave Barry (he's starting to sound a lot like Carl Hiassen(?), Man On Fire by Somebody (his name's a pseudonym so why remember?), Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami and Love and Hydrogen (again I forget the name and apologize). This has of course once again opened the floodgate of wanting to write which I try to hold onto but seems to invariably diminish if I don't have the opportunity to keep reading.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:25 am

i'm reading the crimson petal and the white by michel faber. i'm very intrigued by the underbelly of the upper class. i've been listening to the decemberists a lot lately, which is perfectly soundtracking this book.

if you are ever having trouble picking out a book to read, go to http://www.bookbrowse.com. it's great.

hovering

Postby hovering » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:54 am

i have this bad habit of reading too many books at a time.
eventually, i'll get over it. but for now, i'm reading:

norwegian wood by haruki murakami
cunt: declaration of independence by inga muscio
wilderness tips by margaret atwood
slowness by milan kundera

p.s. colin meloy's book about the replacements let it be comes out on august 15th. i'm really, really interested in this. and you should be, too.

p.p.s. something tells me that you all should pre-order created in darkness by troubled americans : the best of mcsweeney's, humor category as well. august 10th, fools.

hovering

Postby hovering » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:55 am

Betty Felon wrote:
Also, I just bought "Songbook" by Nick Hornby--- anyone read it? How about the new David Sedaris?

i drool over the new david sedaris when i walk into borders. but i'm trying to save money right now. one of my friends told me it was brilliant, another told me it was just "okay" so i don't know.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:16 am

Betty Felon wrote:Also, I just bought "Songbook" by Nick Hornby--- anyone read it? How about the new David Sedaris?

There's a new Nick Hornby? I was just in Barnes & Noble looking the other day. Bummer, I would have grabbed it had I seen it. I was introduced to Nick Hornby by a college creative writing instructor who also worked at B&N and at the end of the quarter he would lend everyone in the class a book by an author he thought we most resembled. My book was High Fidelity and I've been hooked (not to mention terribly flattered) ever since.

Also...Man On Fire was incredibly interesting. It actually had a lot of fascinating history about things like the French Legion which piqued my interest and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good non-fiction they've read on that subject. Seems like that would be incredibly fun to read while listening to The Decemberists
I'm a Legionairre...!

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:45 am

I just finished A heartbreaking work of staggering genius by Dave Eggers, and began to read the Commissariat of Enlightenment by Ken Kalfus. I needed a break before I run headlong into more humor with Franzen's The Corrections. I will be following that up by finishing the barnes & noble collection of The Metamkorphosis and then I might re-read Catch-22, one of my all time favorite books.

Oh, I'm looking for a really good biography on Alexander Hamilton, one of my favorite historical figures. Anyone got any leads?

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:59 am

Out of curiosity from the Decemberists song, I'm reading Myla Goldberg's Bee Season. I like it.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:02 am

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:Also, I just bought "Songbook" by Nick Hornby--- anyone read it? How about the new David Sedaris?

There's a new Nick Hornby? I was just in Barnes & Noble looking the other day. Bummer, I would have grabbed it had I seen it. I was introduced to Nick Hornby by a college creative writing instructor who also worked at B&N and at the end of the quarter he would lend everyone in the class a book by an author he thought we most resembled. My book was High Fidelity and I've been hooked (not to mention terribly flattered) ever since.

I guess it is new; I haven't seen it before. I found it buried in the music section.

I haven't started reading it yet, but it's a collection of essays on 31 pop songs composing a sort of literary mixtape. Interesting enough concept... not that I needed a concept to buy a nick hornby book. I am trying to keep my expectations low, but it's not working very well.

NOTE TO THOSE IN CHI THIS WEEKEND: Printer's Row Book Fair, the giant annual literary festival is this weekend. It's incredible...second only, I've heard, to Spokane's "Get Lit" fest. Lectures, bands, pubishing houses, rare and used books galore.

You can find pretty much anything at this fest....I've found everything I've ever looked for, from out of print greek translations of Plato's Statesman to lost all time favorite children's books I once thought hopeless (Barney Beagle. Best book EVER.) [code][/code]

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:16 am

this is one of those moments when i remember that i love/hate/love spending 160+ hours of my life each month in a HUGE bookstore. i can picture the covers of literally every book you have each mentioned. as much as i hate the fact that my life in based in retail management, at least i sell books. at least i don't work at pottery barn. right?

hovering

Postby hovering » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:29 am

i think songbook was the last nick hornby book released, but i think it's at least two years old. not sure, though.

also, laura, i'm the same way with cd's. good or bad, i know the covers and titles of some things i wish i didn't. if i worked at pottery barn, i'd buy everything. or want to kill rich people. one way or the other.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:25 am

Midori on this board always makes me think of Norweigan Wood...

I just Finished "Life of Pi", could not put it down. Now I am reading The Dragon Riders of Pern to the kids for fun.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:15 pm

hovering wrote:

p.s. colin meloy's book about the replacements let it be comes out on august 15th. i'm really, really interested in this. and you should be, too.

i AM and i shall read it as soon as i can get my paws on it.

iheartbarsuk

Postby iheartbarsuk » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:59 pm

Songbook is pretty good. I like Hornby so I had to pick it up. Since I've read it, I've been longing to hear that "Frankie Suicide" song. And I read it so long ago. I need to find it. His description of that one song is incredible. I must find it.

I'm reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World right now in addition to Alice in Wonderful [and greek myths for English class].

idrankhemlock

Postby idrankhemlock » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:20 pm

the last book i read was ghosts of the pacific northwest....maybe i should read more

miriyummy

Postby miriyummy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:06 pm

mildlyrestarted wrote:i'm reading the crimson petal and the white by michel faber. i'm very intrigued by the underbelly of the upper class.

i am also reading the crimson petal and the white. i put it down alot and read other books in between. to me, it is such a winter book, and being that i didn't batten down the hatches (aka curl up in bed) this past winter, i have only made it about half way so far.

life of pi is my current read. and i highly recommend basket case by carl hiassen-twisted, funny, touching, better than cats, the whole nine yards....

idrankhemlock

Postby idrankhemlock » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:12 pm

Electroboy by Andy Behrman is a good read

Return to “Cattywampus”