Apple Music Download: $0.99/song (eek)

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Good idea bad idea

Good idea
29%
Bad idea
71%

Total votes: 7

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Apple Music Download: $0.99/song (eek)

Postby Moni » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:35 am

I had to test the pollage thing :)

From AudioRevolution.com

Some people are convinced that this is going to replace CDs/LPs some time in the (not so near) future... Don't know but am I the only one who likes artwork, booklets, liner notes and stuff (and not every person on this sorry planet has a spiffy color printer)?

And well I like going to record stores, it's part of the fun. I don't wanna get all my music sitting in front of a screen necessarily. Kinda pathetic.

Apple Launches Pay-Per-Download Site and New iPod

Apple computer today launched their own pay-per-download music system for Mac users via Apple’s incredibly slick iTunes music management software (available free at Apple.com). Apple users that love music use iTunes as their command center for managing their MP3 files, ripping CDs and now in version 4 of iTunes, buying music.

Tracks cost the standard $0.99 per song and each tune has a 30 second demo for you to audition before you pop for the fee. Apple’s Music Store has been neatly and unobtrusively added into the “Source” column of the main window of iTunes in with other popular elements like your library of MP3s, your custom play lists and internet radio. Downloading and installing iTunes 4 took less than 5 minutes with a DSL connection. A few more minutes went into downloading and installing the latest version of QuickTime for improved multi-media functionality.

What is most notable about iTunes is how seamless it works as compared to the peer-to-peer networks that have caused the record labels such upset. Can you still steal music on the internet using Kzaa, Morphius or Limewire? Definitively yes, but iTunes 4 offers some distinct advantages for your $0.99 per download. The speed for which you can search for songs and the relevance of the searches is absolutely superior to the peer-to-peer networks. The 30 second demos allow you to shop for music in ways that brick and mortar record stores should be scared of.

It is important to note that on the first days worth of searches, that not every song from every artist is on the system. Seemingly, most of the major labels are in with some level of support but they only give some elements of an artist’s portfolio – not the whole thing. If the new breed of pay-download sites start making some money, the labels will jump on-board with even more content.

The last piece of the puzzle is a new, more refined and larger iPod music storage device which is lighter, even more slick (which is hard to believe) and can hold up to 7500 songs in your palm with a starting price of $299. The iPod connects with one Firewire cable to the back of your Apple computer and iTunes does the rest. Unlike a peer-to-peer network this Apple system connects the dots in a way that is literally idiot proof. Explaining how to download and manage music from a peer-to-peer system and get it on a peripheral device like an MP3 player or rip it on to CD is often too much tech for the mainstream consumer, AKA: not a college kid. The ease of use and total package of the Apple system will be very appealing to the Apple audience as well as the new convert to the Mac way of computing.

Apple is a boutique player in the world of PCs with an approximate share of the computer market at about 11 percent but what they do well they do very well. ITunes 4 is no different although it might make you think different.

ChadyzGroove

Postby ChadyzGroove » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:13 am

i vote bad idea, but for this reason, 99 cents is too much for one song you are not gtting anything else with besides that also, and there is something about having a product in your hands, which is probably why i now i have 108 cds.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

.99 is too much

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:39 am

I don't see why I would do it. If it's a band I really like, then I'll buy the album. If it's just a single I like, I'll download it for free on Kazaa or Soulseek, or something. I also like liner notes...

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:03 am

I was prepared not to like it, but the experience of using it is fantastic, since it's perfectly integrated in iTunes, which most Mac folks are quite comfortable with.

As far as price-point, I have to agree with the consensus among many folks that at, say, $.50/track, I would actually use it a lot; a buck is just too much given--how shall I say?--prevailing market alternatives. While I don't see myself buying songs very often, it's nice to know it's there. It'll be perfect for buying "the single," making mix CDs, etc.

Having said that, Apple better get a Wintel version to market *very* quickly if they want to have any real business impact. This market is about to get very crowded.

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu May 01, 2003 8:15 am

It is certainly nice if you just want to download a single or one song that you like, but as I said, one of my friends (media artist geek/student) argued that this form of digital distribution will replace CDs/LPs some time and although I don't really see that happen, I don't like that idea.

It's probably just a silly part of human nature to want to "hold on" to certain things, but I too have to say I'd rather have something physical (i.e. the CD) in my hand than have it on my hard drive, burn it to a CD that says "[insert your fave CD-R brand name here]" and print out the artwork on cheap paper. I know some people don't care, they just want to hear to music, no matter where it comes from.

But I just love going to record stores, it's part of the fun, and I wouldn't want to miss that. Aaah I guess I'm just sentimental and reluctant to like the idea that a whole lot of things that exist in analog form will soon be replaced by their digital counterpart...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu May 01, 2003 8:19 am

It could never replace albums! The best albums (the ones that flow) are made to be listened to in order.

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu May 01, 2003 8:25 am

Unremarkable wrote:It could never replace albums! The best albums (the ones that flow) are made to be listened to in order.

Probably/hopefully never completely, but I guess there'll be quite a few artists who will distribute their albums solely on the net. After all, people tend to be lazy and a mouseclick is much more convenient to do than drag your butt to a record store.

LngHrvWntrsDngr

Postby LngHrvWntrsDngr » Thu May 01, 2003 1:29 pm

but its soooooo much less fun!

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu May 01, 2003 1:41 pm

Speaking of iTunes, when it comes to burning CDs this doesn't seem to be the fastest software, or at the Macs at the Education building just so desperately slow...? My PC software is way faster, especially when it comes to importing audiofiles...

Return to “Cattywampus”