On Trading, Formats, and Community

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Dan
Mod Emeritus

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:53 pm

Merlin wrote:It's been a very special Blossom and I think we've all learned a lesson about love. The tent is big and other metaphors, etc. etc.

Merlin, I think it's time we had a talk.

It's clear to all of us that you're just plain addicted to caffeine pills. We're your friends, man, and we love you. But you spend more time popping bennies than rocking bells.

We miss our friend Merlin. Is he somewhere in there? Come out, little fella. Come out from the shadows and step into a sunny day.

I think I just ripped off "Blossom," "Saved By The Bell," and "Mr. Show" in one post. Exeunt!

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:00 pm

Dan how can you ruin the operatic near-end of this thread with an intervention? That's just wrong, man.

Because life is precious. And God. And the Bible.

carlitos

Postby carlitos » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:32 pm

Merlin wrote:Because life is precious. And God. And the Bible.

And *what* will we tell the children?!?!?!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:32 pm

stephanie

and I'm not even DRUNK!

Postby stephanie » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:01 pm

MEL GIBSON, NO! BLACK CATS ARE THE MANIFESTATION OF THE DEVIL!

(This has been a message from your Attorney General and mine, the venerable John Ashcroft.)

hovering

Re: and I'm not even DRUNK!

Postby hovering » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:26 pm

stephanie wrote:MEL GIBSON, NO! BLACK CATS ARE THE MANIFESTATION OF THE DEVIL!

(This has been a message from your Attorney General and mine, the venerable John Ashcroft.)

BLACK CATS AND BREASTS, YO.

(I don't think anyone likes my "what would mel gibson do?" t-shirt.)

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:11 pm

That picture made me laugh out loud!

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:42 pm

Looks to me like Mel's got himself a belly.

the new math

Postby the new math » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:54 pm

i,for one, wish to fucking god that i had that 15 second tivo clip of jeff bridges on the charlie rose show because it is the only real piece of information out there that explains how i feel about all of this without resorting to those stupid things we call "words."

merlin, can you oblige a feller soon on that? i propose the first post of the trading page be THAT.

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

"not too much...uh..."

Postby Merlin » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:12 pm

the new math wrote:merlin, can you oblige a feller soon on that? i propose the first post of the trading page be THAT.

You know, Shecky, even more than usual, you've moved me here. This is a piece of digitalia that has sat, much loved and oft-replayed on our TiVo for almost two years now and it's just too precious to leave to the fickle fate of 0s and 1s.

For all our sake, I think this footage needs to be archived, immortalized, and shared with the kids.

Eric/Gunther? Dayan? Mathowie? Sean? I know you're all fans as much as I am. I will make this happen.

As God is my witness, Jeff Bridges will talk about line readings and we'll all be there, hand in hand, wondering how high Charlie Rose really is.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Re: "not too much...uh..."

Postby meg » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:21 pm

Merlin wrote:For all our sake, I think this footage needs to be archived, immortalized, and shared with the kids.

Oh, PLEASE! I heard tell o' this clip from a'famed travelin' man, and wish so badly to be seein' it.

THE fuck kind of ACCENT is THAT, Deans?

hovering wrote:BREASTS

I am prepared to go from dick jokes to titty haikus in a jiffy. Let me know.

iheartbarsuk

Re: and I'm not even DRUNK!

Postby iheartbarsuk » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:32 pm

hovering wrote:(I don't think anyone likes my "what would mel gibson do?" t-shirt.)

I do! And I've not even seen it.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:14 am

WOAH!

No You Are
Current Heading: North

AHHHHH

Postby No You Are » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:22 am

And suddenly, this thread got funny again (in an intentional way, not in a Holy Crap can you believe all this <<nervous laugh>> kinda way)

Mel Gibson holding a sign of the devil. David Cross lines running freely. Joey Lawrence.

Finally, the town council is letting us have our dance.

dchris

Postby dchris » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:17 am

the new math wrote: band-taper = band. taper - band = blank tape.

the new math comes through with what looks suspiciously like new math.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:01 pm

etreewin

You will regret lossy (MP3) recordings! FLAC files are easy.

Postby etreewin » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:37 am

My two cents from a live music fanatic for 20 years and a taper.

MP3 files do sound worse and you will eventually notice it. Not necessarily on your "mp3" player and your two speaker car stereo but on any $100 5.1 computer speakers and any decent car stereo, you can definitely hear the loss of the low end and high end. Disk space is cheap now - a 1 GB Creative Labs player is less than $70 and it can hold 3+ hours of uncompressed /lossless wav files.

Right now you might not think it matters that a recording is MP3 but you will find those live shows you really like. You will share it with others in MP3 and they won't like it. Down the road (5 years) you will have better speakers, or your roommate or spouse will or you will buy a decent pair of headphones (excellent ones for mp3 players are running less the $100 US). Then you will hear the difference, even if you have been to a 1000 live shows and your hearing is going to be gone by the time you are 70. Plus, live recordings are off reduced in quality relative to studio recordings so the higher quality of lossless recordings does make a difference for live archival audio.

So my other point is that lossless compressed files (such as flac files) are easy to deal with, don't take up much disk drive space (50% compression relative to uncompressed wav files) and you can easily play them with a MAC player or Windows media player such as WinAmp. And they are easy to convert to MP3 via a program such as Flac Frontend.

I won't allow any of my recorded shows to be converted to MP3 or other lossy formats. Almost all tapers follow this policy. You will be severely hurting the access to music on this site if you do adopt the MP3 policy.

My recommendation is to provide the files in flac or Winzipped uncompressed wav formats and to provide clear instructions for how people could convert to MP3.

Looking forward to getting some of this live LW music and sharing it with the community.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:03 pm

I like this guy. <3

Actually, I have a crazy buttload of server space and bandwidth these days. If I put up the audio copy of the LW DVD I finally finished last fall, would people be interested in downloading it in FLAC format? Of course, I would ask that you don't convert to MP3 to share on Soulseek and the likes, but for your mp3 players and whatnot, it's all good. If I get enough people interested, I'll get on that this weekend.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:57 pm

sour29 wrote:If I put up the audio copy of the LW DVD I finally finished last fall, would people be interested in downloading it in FLAC format?

Yes, please :)

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:38 am

I'm not touching this thread again, unless it is for another Joey Lawrence reference.

WHOA!!

<<but Sour... I am totally down with the FLAC action... or FLACtion, as it is>>

Return to “Cattywampus”