Record Shop

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Record Shop

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:33 pm

How do you get your tunes? and, of course, what is appealing about that way?

Do you order everything online? by mail order?
Download songs from iTunes?

Do you shop a big sensory overload music warehouse like Virgin? howabout a huge chain like Best Buy or Circuit City?

Do you go to Borders and pay a little more so you can drink a cappucino and listen to a million cds before purchasing one?

Do you have a little shop in town with a friendly, knowledgable clerk who keeps you in fresh tunes?

Do you have a little shop that you travel a ways to get to with a hipster clerk who is very entertaining in his/her stylish snobbery?

Do you only buy at live shows?

spydirweb

Postby spydirweb » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:03 pm

I download before buying usually...make sure it's worth it. Usually, because my car's CD player can't play burned I ask myself "Do I like this enough to want to listen to in the car, and is it good enough that I feel others should hear it, fitting my 'blow the speakers' attitude?"

When purchasing, I usually go to Best Buy or Sam Goody's, simply because they're my only choices in suburbia. If they don't have it I'll order online if I want it that bad. To get my copies of TLW albums I had to get sam goody's to order it for me...

There's a couple little friendly shops in the area but they're a bit of a drive to go to so I never really take the time...

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:18 pm

i shop The Electric Fetus. It's slightly more
expensive at times...but they always have
the albums i want. Today i picked up the
new Modest Mouse album. Holy shit.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:43 pm

I buy most of my records from Heather. Everytime I've bought cds online from a bigger store, they've come with cracked cases. Even though I rip them straight to my iPod, and don't really do anything with the cases, broken is not cool.

smilin

Postby smilin » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:10 am

Laura Suzanne wrote:i shop The Electric Fetus. It's slightly more
expensive at times...but they always have
the albums i want.

I buy a lot of my disks from Efetus online. I hear the MPLS store is pretty cool. Gonna have to drop in there next visit (hopefully the Jayhawks will play some holiday shows at FA like last year and give me an excuse).

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 am

I listen as much as I can, check out the website, try to find a record store that I can listen to (that isn't borders-damn highway construction!!!) and if I like it, probably order online unless best buy has it. Cause they're cheaper. But mostly online ordering, cause record theatre over prices EVERYTHING.
I also ask you kids if I don't know nuttin about the band. Ya'll are like some musical library. Except when it comes to Arcitechture in Helinski. Evidently no one knew anything about that one.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:09 am

Lately, it's all been Amazon. When I'm able to afford anything at all, that is. Actually, the vast majority of new music I get is through trades of mix CDs. Which isn't all that much.

WaveyBlue

Postby WaveyBlue » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:34 am

Around these parts, the ONLY place for indie-types to shop is Grimey's, the best little record store in Nashville. The clerks are cool and knowledgeable, and they have everything this girl could want (except those Germany-only CDs from a band I can't get anywhere). That's about the only place I buy my discs (CD and vinyl) now, unless it's off eBay or something. Best Buy and the like are really tempting due to low prices, but the "couldn't give a crap" sales staff, constant blaring of awful music and warehouse atmosphere have turned me off for good. And now that I have a full-time job that pays relatively well, I can afford to spend a bit more to support local businesses I believe in.

I don't really download anymore (even though I used to all the time), as I now have cranky little dial-up and just don't have the time.

My latest pick-up is the Streets' latest, and I'm really feeling that one.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:04 am

I have to admit it. I buy the majority of my music from Borders. Its a guilty, guilty pleasure, but I love to spend an evening with myself, a cappucino, and the headphones at Borders.

Its the sad suburban reality that Borders has the best coffee in a 10 mile radius, great lighting and fluffy couches, and lets me listen to the entire album. This one also happens to have a friendly highschool kid working there who has great taste and keeps the store stocked with great music. So I pay about 15.99 a cd, sometimes more.

I'm moving soon though, and I hope to find a little indie shop in my area. But I wonder if I'll miss my couches and coffee and ability to listen to the cds at my leisure. Oh my, will I miss my Borders?

gingerman

Postby gingerman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:07 am

I'm usually listening to my radio station at LAUNCHcast at YAHOO.
http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1228380492
It's taken awhile to get it to behave, but I've stocked it with big ratings for the LW's and the Decemberists for the summer. I've rated 1500 artists,1000 albums and 2700 songs so far, so it pretty much plays what I want it to now.
If I'm a-hankerin' for some cd's to get mobile with, I go to Newbury comics in Shrewsbury or Boston.
And of course I'm always scouring the Salvation Army's, thrift stores, flea markets and odd lil' record shops to beef up my already ridiculous vinyl collection. I love LP's most. So big, so fine in the grooves and the older ones are aromatic.
"...and the tall one's gonna be for sale.."

dchris

Postby dchris » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:37 am

There's a small indie record store here, Hyde and Zeke's, that I've always been slightly intimidated by.

CD Warehouse is good. I'm there every couple weeks. They have a great selection of used CDs at very low prices. Got a Girls Against Boys CD for two dollars there.

I just spent $45 at the local Spec's - came home with Castaways and Cutouts, The Forbidden Love EP, The Proximity Effect and Emergency and I. They're having a clearance sale. I think they're going out of business? That makes me sad. Corporate or not, it's still the first place I heard Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?

Borders is an awful weakness of mine, too. Still, more often than not I try and order directly from the label.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:46 am

Man, it's all about Good Records, in Deep Ellum, love those guys, even the vinyl selection is decent, even tho it's a tiny place. And they are always happy to shoot the shit about the latest stuff, or whatever. Screw Bill's-they are just rude.

I get a lot at this one Tower Records on Lemon, cuz the buyer there is on the ball. And the jazz section is flippin HUGE.

For me purchasing stuff has a very important tactile component, I never order through the mail unless it's the only way to get it.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:47 am

Between iTunes and Real Rhapsody, I can listen to almost anything before I buy it. This gives me great confidence about buying albums. In some cases I'll just take the tracks I like from iTunes.

I also like buying direct from the artist site or label site to eliminate the middle man, unless I'm making a bulk purchase.

As far as online shopping goes, you HAVE to check out www.cheap-cds.com. I highly recommend it.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:34 am

I usually buy from the band's website or the labels' website if possible. If I need to buy more than one CD, then I usually make the trek down I-5 to Sonic Boom. I also occasionally buy from Amazon, if I'm feeling lazy. The best place to buy CDs is at shows, because you get a chance to see how they are live, and the albums aren the cheapest.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:39 pm

I too have started buying most of my CDs directly off the artists' website or at shows (when they can find thier way to Iowa). I figure I would rather have the artist get my money than Best Buy taking a big bite out of it first.

SLR

Postby SLR » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:40 pm

WaveyBlue wrote:My latest pick-up is the Streets' latest, and I'm really feeling that one.

You should check out Audiobullies. I'm not sure if that's spelled correctly but if you like The Streets you'll probably get into it, although it's more cockney dance music than cockney rap.

heather

Postby heather » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:34 pm

1. new streets? blech.
2. FOR THOSE OF YOU WITHIN DRIVING DISTANCE OF THE THREE SONIC BOOMS [AND THE VINYL ONLY SHOPPE WE HAVE NOW IN FREMONT]: Come the fuck down! Jebus! We're awesome! Help me stay employed! Help the muzak! LOVE US!
3. I [obviously] buy most my music at Sonic Boom. And I did before I began working here.

miriyummy

Postby miriyummy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:40 pm

I used to need immediate gratification when I wanted a new album, so I would go from record store to record store searching for what I wanted. These days I'm a little better at giving up .

Now I order a lot of music online . It usually doesn't take very long to get most of it. Sometimes I'll order from the label, but I also like Insound and Amazon.

I kind of like Border's, too. Every once in a while they surprise me with their selection.

No Pic-I agree with you on Good Records. It's one of my favorites, too. I don't live in Dallas, or even Texas for that matter, but when I'm there, it's one of the first places I hit. It would definitely be in my top 5, if I had a top 5. I also order online from them.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:16 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:I listen as much as I can, check out the website, try to find a record store that I can listen to (that isn't borders-damn highway construction!!!) and if I like it, probably order online unless best buy has it. Cause they're cheaper. But mostly online ordering, cause record theatre over prices EVERYTHING.
I also ask you kids if I don't know nuttin about the band. Ya'll are like some musical library. Except when it comes to Arcitechture in Helinski. Evidently no one knew anything about that one.

You're in Buffalo? Try New World Record on Elmwood..it's attached to one of the Spot Coffee locations.

Fi

Postby Fi » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:32 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:I also ask you kids if I don't know nuttin about the band. Ya'll are like some musical library. Except when it comes to Arcitechture in Helinski. Evidently no one knew anything about that one.

I've seen AIH, they're Australian, but from Melbourne, which is the best city for live local australian music imo. and I saw your post, but didn't pipe up as this band are not my cup of tea really.

I'm buying more and more stuff online via band sites that link to their record label, that links to an online store. David Dondero's was the last stuff I ordered. Redeye records in Sydney are the main local indie shopfront, but I actually found a Decemberists CD all by itself in another record store here on the weekend, so I bought it on a whim.

Return to “Cattywampus”