Record Shop

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

hovering

god, I need to stop posting tonight

Postby hovering » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:01 pm

dchris wrote:I just spent $45 at the local Spec's - came home with Castaways and Cutouts, The Forbidden Love EP, The Proximity Effect and Emergency and I. They're having a clearance sale. I think they're going out of business? That makes me sad. Corporate or not, it's still the first place I heard Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?

Borders is an awful weakness of mine, too. Still, more often than not I try and order directly from the label.

I think specs is going out of business.

I work at a corporate music store. NOT the goody, like the original heather, but still. sometimes I special order things and buy them there, but I realize what an evil, evil thing I'm giving in to. 30% discount or not, I need to stop.

occasionally, I'll shop at the virgin megastore at downtown disney. they have some decent deals and the "buy 10, get 1 free" thing is nice. I prefer their book selection, truthfully.

I've only bought 1 cd from borders. it was the wrens meadowlands because the record store was out (that good, y'know) and I HAD to have it. I paid $15.99 for it, which sort of breaks my little heart when something comes out to be $17.11 after tax. goodness.

orlando's best record store is park avenue cd's. sometimes their selection is weak, sometimes; generally, the vinyl is better, but it depends what you want. they'll special order anything you want and the staff is incredibly nice, unlike a lot of record stores.

the only times I order online is a) when I want to get mail, b) can't find it in stores, c) get a discount at insound or some sort of package deal on whatever label (barsuk always has the best package deals, as well as hush records) -- I like getting mail, but I hate waiting.

I download things before I buy them, unless I am pretty sure I'm going to like it. I always buy it if I like it, but I hate being disappointed. I'm really bad about waiting for release dates and stuff.

I fell in love with cd alley in chapel hill, even though their was some sort of leakage and there was basically (no lie) a mini-flood in the store. they had an awesome used section.

what's everyone thoughts on used cd's? I know a lot of people who hate buying them because they say it takes away so much--you know, not taking the plastic off and opening it for the first time. personally, if I see something used that I've been "thinking about" buying, I get it, but I normally go in, get what I want, and leave.

WaveyBlue

Postby WaveyBlue » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:47 am

Used CD's are always fine with me... taking the plastic off doesn't have much appeal to me as I always get to damn frustrated with the feckin' thing... is it really so necessary? And don't even get me started on all the crap they put on DVD's.

But usually, I'll go looking for a used copy if the thing I'm after is kind of old. If they don't have it used at Grimey's, I'll get it new. But if something is just released and I want it that badly, I'll just dig in my pockets a little extra and go for new.

I have a friend who is the CD manager (or whatever his title is) at Borders (and occasionally I get some free things from him). I have bought many things there in the past, but I just don't think about doing it unless I go to see him or am also looking for books at the same time. But yeah, having a cafe there makes it soooo nice to browse their selection. :) At least no one goes to the holy terror that is Barnes & Noble. Borders is the far better place, imho.

And the newest Streets isn't for everyone... but it's something different and also very funny in places. But then again, there are a lot of bands I *should* like that I don't. So, this is one of those bands (or guys) that I shouldn't like, but do.

heather

Postby heather » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:15 pm

Heather! You can order online/or call and order from SONIC BOOM!

Just picture it: You call Fremont [206-547-2666] and I answer! wouldn't that be so very? Also, I don't believe you're charged tax and then no shipping fee with orders over $30.... I could be wrong though, so ask.

YEAH!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:12 pm

I don't have any problems with used cds. People seriously have problems with them?

I'm a big fan of looking through bins and seeing what people bought and sold back. I mean, dude!...I once found Paul Simon's "One Trick Pony" for $4.99! (Though I grew up on a tape of a record that skipped, so the cd sounds weird because I expect skipping in certain parts. "Oh, Marion...I think I'm in *skip* I think I'm in trouble here....the only time that love is an easy game, is when *skip* game, is when two other people are playing..." ha ha)

Cd shopping is so much more than just shopping for me though. I don't run in a buy a disc. Its a full blown date with myself. I make it a ridiculously indulgent experience, after all, I'm a special lady and I have to treat me right.

gingerman

Postby gingerman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:01 pm

The laws of nature defied
He said "its a chance I had to take
So I shifted my heart for it’s safety sake"
The boy’s got a heart but it beats on
His opposite side

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:57 am

Betty is right on-it's all about the browsing, the searching, the whole experience. Don't even try to talk to me while i'm browsin.

I used to buy used vinyl, why not used CDs? Maybe it's just us pre-Amazon old farts who dig the browsing in the store over internet buying?

miriyummy

Postby miriyummy » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:09 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Cd shopping is so much more than just shopping for me though. I don't run in a buy a disc. Its a full blown date with myself. I make it a ridiculously indulgent experience, after all, I'm a special lady and I have to treat me right.

heh heh....
my credit card company called me after one of my "spree" days. i had hit every decent record shop in 10 miles. the credit card guy laughed when i sheepishly said it was all me.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:29 pm

heehee I'm surprised I haven't gotten one of those calls!

aj

Postby aj » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:44 pm

coincidence.

got one yesterday.

I spent between two and three hours in a local record shop. did get 10 cds for $20 (but also bought a few full price...). It pays to spend the time in the discount bins.

eatmysunshine

Postby eatmysunshine » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:46 pm

WaveyBlue knows what's going on.

I always buy from Grimey's when I'm in Nashville, which is the majority of the time. It really is a great store. When I'm stuck in southern Indiana suburbia (during the summer and on breaks), I either wait until i make my next trip to nashville, or I buy at Coconuts, which has worse selection and costs more.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:42 am

Ah, sweet people moaning about 17 dollar cds.
In the Netherlands, the normal price for cds is between 18 and 20 euros (which is more than the dollar even), only some indie labels will have 15-16 euro discs (like WIPTF on Munich records).

Although I feel kinda guilty for not supporting my fave bands by buying their records in the recordshop here, I order more and more online, from band sites or labels. Even with overseas postage it comes out cheaper than buying it here.
There is a cool record shop chain called Plato who care about music, and also drop prices on many albums to 9.99 after a year or so - if I'm not in a hurry, that's worth the wait.
I used to go on record shopping sprees to Amsterdam (more shops, many stocking imports, they had Harm back in May 2002, but at a staggering 22 euro, didn't buy it then). But between Plato and the internet, there's little I cannot find closer to home these days.

If I really want something that isn't released here (or much later) and no label ordering is possible I will resort to amazon or other online services, but they usually have huge postage rates, which make it reasonable only at a low dollar to euro rate.

My fave record shop used to be Da Capo, which is mostly vinyl, but I've found I've come to prefer the ease of cd over vinyl. Oh my, if you had suggested this 10 years ago I would have given you a proper beating, mind!

Although I like to buy at gigs, quite often I will already have the records of bands I'm going to see.
We have an eMusic account, but now that they changed it to a limited 40-songs a month it seems to keep me from using it the way I used to, just browsing and downloading at random if I take a fancy. It was worth it though just for being able to donwload the first Andy Pratt album, which I had searched for in used records shops and record fairs for 12 years to no avail.

I love browsing through used records and since we don't have the taped/plastic packaging (I hate that), there's no loss of feeling there. On the contrary, I feel it's wonderful to give a neglected misunderstood record the home it deserves.
But although I've seen used records online, that just isn't the same, plus I'm never sure if it's not a ripped cd with copied artwork. I like to see before I buy used.

To conclude this long post: every holiday includes all the record shops we can find. Don't know how many we will encounter in rural Bavaria this summer though...

heather

Postby heather » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:02 pm

Everyone knows that some cds cost so much because of the actual COST for the record store, right? It's not as if we have meetings like Enron.

hovering

Postby hovering » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:58 pm

did they teach you that at the goody, heather?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:14 am

I thought that that was what the cell phone calls to hovering heather were about, secret cross country price negotiations, hidden by otter rock (samaritan would mean prices going down, blue diamonds prices up - and we all know TLW play blue diamonds more often than samaritan ;-)

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:09 am

its the indie pop indicator

heather

Postby heather » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:11 pm

hovering wrote:did they teach you that at the goody, heather?

SHHHH! Jesus, not even ONE day in the Mafia and you're already spilling secrets!

hovering

Postby hovering » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:09 pm

just don't shoot my cats. or my mom.

mms

Postby mms » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:44 am

eatmysunshine wrote:WaveyBlue knows what's going on.

I always buy from Grimey's when I'm in Nashville, which is the majority of the time. It really is a great store. When I'm stuck in southern Indiana suburbia (during the summer and on breaks), I either wait until i make my next trip to nashville, or I buy at Coconuts, which has worse selection and costs more.

WaveyBlue and Eatmysunshine, don't you guys like The Great Escape? It's my favorite record shop in Nashville. Yes, I found out a month ago that they're not quite an independent (i.e., they're a small-ish chain), but it's still a cool place (large selection of used CDs) and it's close to school, so I don't have to drive to Berry Hill. I've never been inside Grimey's but it seems a bit small. I hear they're moving to a new location too.

WaveyBlue

Great Escape?

Postby WaveyBlue » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 pm

Oh, The Great Escape is alright. I used to love them, and I mean in the 'spend my entire paycheck on vinyl there' way. I almost even got a job there last year (too bad I got a better job offer days before), and I do still go there every so often. It's just that lately, I can't find much to interest me at TGE... or Phonoluxe, which also used to be my main music store. But when Grimey's opened up, it was an entirely different experience. Maybe it's me, but the clerks at Phono-L and TGE aren't particularly helpful or even that friendly... or I may just never meet the really cool clerks! Plus, at TGE they have lots of space taken up by comics, which really aren't my interest. Although I do love their selection of used books. Anyway, Grimey's people always know what's going on and really seem to enjoy helping me out and recommending new music to me. They're not as cheap as TGE, but I feel good supporting a store that I really love.

And they just set up shop in the new location a couple weeks ago. It's not as cozy as the old place (I'm a sucker for those little houses turned into stores), but it is a fantastic location for them. Except for the serious lack of parking. It's even worse than it was on Bransford... Argh! Plus, it is 10 minutes away from my workplace now. Can it get any better? Lunchtime runs to Grimey's are all I need to go bankrupt. lol

mms, where do you go to school? If you're at Vandy or Belmont, then Grimey's is even closer to you now... heh heh

Everyone else, feel free to check out their website at www.grimeys.com . And no, I don't work there. But I would love to... and the last time I was there, they finally had a GIRL working behind the counter! At last! Not that I don't love the guys, but it's always nice to see another female who knows her music.

edit: I just realized after I posted this that I may sound like a complete ass who's always dissing something, or never enthusiastic except about this store. That's not the case, I really DO love other record stores. They just somehow plae in comparison to my beloved Grimey's.

smelllikelime

Postby smelllikelime » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:52 am

Back in the glory days (aka, a couple months ago when I had a cable modem) I pretty much downloaded everything. I still bought a cd every now and then, but I had to really, REALLY love the band. Now, since I have dial up again I've actually been buying more cd's. Funny how that works, isn't it? Also, I've been begging my friends to burn me things.

My favorite record store is Amoeba in Hollywood, their used section is orgasmic. I used to always get cd's at Borders or Wherehouse or Tower, whatever happened to be convenient at the time, but I haven't bought anything at one of those in a really long time (well, music anyway). So I usually get things at Amoeba, or through band websites (I think that is the best, no middleman), Amazon or cheap from Half.com.

Return to “Cattywampus”