Orlando. Florida. Yes. You.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

Orlando. Florida. Yes. You.

Post by Squid »

so, i already used this board in a shameful manner for barcelona, and it worked like gangbusters. Thing is, I have to go to Orlando, FLA. Now, I know Orlando. I've spent time every summer for the past 23 summers there, seeing as, like roughly 95% of the US populace, I have a grandparent there. But see, I'm always there as one of the kids, (yes, even at 33 yrs old), doing family stuff. This time, I'm there for 7 whole days. In a sort-of grown-up capacity for a sort of grown-up purpose.

Anyhow, I remember someone around these parts saying they lived there...and I know that Orlando has evolved some and it ain't all strip malls and amusement parks and stuff. So. Any suggestions? Help provide some distractions from the pain of missing not one but *two* LW shows in SF. Oh, and a HD show two days ago. damnit.

Do it for the Squipper!
xo, Squid
hovering

Post by hovering »

I live in orlando. what section will you be in? and what are you looking for, really? because besides the amusement parks, there isn't much.

park ave cd's in winter park is good. also, the social generally has some decent shows, depending on when you'll be there. I'm so bad at telling people what to do because there are often times when I say "hmm, what should I do today?" and then I realize: I live in central florida, so absolutely nothing is thrilling.
Squid

Post by Squid »

no, really, those are great suggestions - and i know what you mean, it can get really hard to just randomly pluck stuff out of the air to suggest. I'll probably have time for about one diversion a day anyway, so there's two days down. :) actually, if there are non-music related things, like good locally-owned bookstores, i'd be up for that too. oh, and fahrenheit 911 will be out by then, as well. hmmm...

and you know, i have no idea what "region" of orlando i'm in! I always just think, "international drive and NOT international drive...and that winter park place". i'll have a car, fwiw...because it's important for me to get all turned around on orange blossom trail like 18 trillion times before i actually know where i'm going....
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

On Highway 50, slightly west of downtown, you'll find a small Vietnamese community -- two or three restaurants, a market, perhaps some travel agents and salons.

One of the restaurants is outstanding. It's the westernmost one, on the south side of 50 (which I think is Colonial in that part of the city). I cannot remember the restaurant's name -- Saigon Palace? King of Saigon? Viet King? -- but have eaten there on numerous occasions and never been dissatisfied. The market next door is also fun, in the way Asian markets often are.

If you were feeling particularly adventurous or antiquarian, a trip to Cassadaga would definitely be rewarding. Reverends Lollie Weigl and Albert Bowes have the best reputations for private readings, but the public services on Sundays at the Spiritualist church are also quite interesting.
hovering

Post by hovering »

grant wrote:One of the restaurants is outstanding. It's the westernmost one, on the south side of 50 (which I think is Colonial in that part of the city). I cannot remember the restaurant's name -- Saigon Palace? King of Saigon? Viet King? -- but have eaten there on numerous occasions and never been dissatisfied. The market next door is also fun, in the way Asian markets often are.

Viet King is so, so very good. that is all I have to say about that.

I really wish I could offer up more services but sadly, I never know what to do in my own city. I'll think of something, eventually. when do you leave?
Squid

Post by Squid »

grant wrote:On Highway 50, slightly west of downtown, you'll find a small Vietnamese community -- two or three restaurants, a market, perhaps some travel agents and salons.

Absolutely awesome. Day 3, covered! The spiritualist church sounds intriguing. I'm thinking they will spot me for the lapsed Catholic that I am and have their ways with me...and not to sound stupid, but...a reading? Christ, sometimes Rob Brezny's too much for me, let alone a full on "reading"! I'm intimidated.

But not by food. I'm hitting the restaurants fo' sho. cheers.
Squid

Post by Squid »

I really wish I could offer up more services but sadly, I never know what to do in my own city. I'll think of something, eventually. when do you leave?

i get in tmrw, Wed, and i leave the following Wed, the 30th. but really, no worries, you've helped already, and it's much appreciated. i'll be checking around here, if you think of anything, just give a shout.

thanks a million! squid.
c-dog

Orlando Fun

Post by c-dog »

Orlando actually does have some decent stuff to do if you look really really hard. I have lived here almost two years and am still finding stuff for the first time. Here are a few things that I found.

Thornton Park - it is the area right around Lake Eola in downtown Orlando. It actually looks like a neighborhood and not something that has been processed and commercialized. There are a lot of nice restaurants and a decent coffe shop. There is also a great gelato shop/cafe there - very cute and yummy. There isalso Orlando's only independent bookstore (I think) down there too - it is called Urban Think. Lake Eola is also a nice park to spend an afternoon in. Close by is Guinevere's which is another coffe shop, but it is attached to the DMAC (Downtown Media Arts Center) so you can always walk right into the attached gallery and check out osme work by local artists. They also have one night a week that they do Movieoke - like karaoke only with movies - not sure which night, but they have a website if you look up Guinevere's

Another cool place to go, especially if you want to see Farenheit 9/11 (It's playing sthere starting Friday) would be The Enzian - It is a non-profit independent movie house in Maitland it is right on 17-92. It is actually a theatre/restaurant hybrid. There are very comfy seats and couches. You can order anything from popcorn to a plate of pasta. (I reccomend the fruit and cheese plate) They also serve wine and beer.

If you are into film you would also like Stardust Video and Coffee. It is a little bit more hidden- On Winter Park Rd. - If you have access to the internet there is a website. They have the most amazing collection of foreign and independent movies - stuff that you can't find at Blockbuster. They also serve food, coffee, wine, and beer - and have places to sit and hang out.

Some things that are pretty seperate from that whole Disney thing on the west side of town are College Park - Jack Kerouac actually wrote On the Road"..or maybe it was "Dharma Bums" - at his mom's house in College Park - you can visit it too! The Social which was mentined before is definitely a good place for live shows, but Boddishatva, Bar B-Q-Bar, and Will's Pub are good places to grab a beer downtown.

I hope my little Orlando Visitor's guide helps you.. or even the people on here who live in Orlando who haven't discovered these places yet!
hovering

Post by hovering »

I was going to recommend some of those places but I had a brain freeze. but definitely check out the enzian.

wow, I fully was not aware of the fact that cool people lived in orlando.
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

wow, I fully was not aware of the fact that cool people lived in orlando.[/quote]

Don't worry it took me a few months to find that there were a few independent minded people here. I actually remember realising it at the first show I saw at The Social a couple months after I moved here. I walked in and said to my friend "So this is where all the cool kids hide!" It was the first time I had seen a large group of people in Orlando where the girls all didn't look like Barbie and the boys didn't look like they just jumped out of an Abercrombie advertisement. I have since had that same revelation at the other spots I mentioned. Orlando is tolerable if you take the time to find the cool stuff.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Squid wrote: The spiritualist church sounds intriguing. I'm thinking they will spot me for the lapsed Catholic that I am and have their ways with me...and not to sound stupid, but...a reading? Christ, sometimes Rob Brezny's too much for me, let alone a full on "reading"! I'm intimidated.

Really, they're quite harmless, very cuddly people, and there's generally enough of a crowd at the services that you can go largely unnoticed.

I also have enjoyed The Enzian, although that was over 10 years ago. And I've driven around Lake Eola and found it pleasant. It's good to know there's a community area there.
Squid

I think we've all learned a valuable lesson today, kids...

Post by Squid »

okay, back in cali...

just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone for their suggestions. i never made it to viet king, sadly, but my mom and i spent an *entire afternoon* in Thornton Park/Driving around the Lake Eola area. We were just blown away by the fact that this beautiful old neighborhood has been here the whole time and we've never known about it. All those awesome old houses 'n' spanish moss...i kept waiting for the Vampire Lestat to come down the street.

oh, also, urban think is fantastic. but enough from me. thanks again.
Squid

Post by Squid »

My dear friends:

Back in Orlando for Memorial Day wknd to see Grams...if anything spectacular has occurred since we last discussed The Great City of O, speak now!

Lake Eola was fun. I heart that bookstore, definitely going back there...
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

Well all of the aforementioned locations still apply - except for the Kerouac house. It is definitely there - but it basically looks like every other house on the street with no sign or any other evidence that Jack lived there. A little bit disappointing. Definitely return to Urban Think - and buy a book to support local small business!! I love that place also! Books and beer - how can you go wrong??

You should also try to get to the Enzian - it is worth it even if the movie is only so-so.

If you want to get outdoors and you enjoy plantlife tryLeu Gardens- which is smack dab in the middle of the city. A nice place to wander around with grandparents.

The Orlando Museum of Art isn't too bad depending on the exhibits that are showing.

Definitely try one of the Vietnamese restaurants on Colonial - I suggest Little Saigon or Pho 88 - you can get a huge noodle bowl and 2 spring rolls for less then $10!!! If you are interested in more non-chain restaurants I can give you some suggestions. Believe it or not - not everything in Orlando is a chain - there are some great places to eat here.

As for things going on those particular dates I would pick up an Orlando Weekly when you get here to see what is going on.

I would offer to show you around a little bit - but I am going to be in Asheville, NC that weekend - anyone have any suggestions for that location? I know it has a ton of artsy stuff and galleries - and the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed there.....
Squid

Post by Squid »

awesome as usual. thanks so much!
sattiva

Post by sattiva »

wait, long winters fans in central fl, really!?! holy cow! i moved down from nyc awhile ago and have found sumter county culture alil dependent on whatever is at the local multiplex, although i did catch elvis costello at the house of blue and im goin there on the 9th for collrctive soul things get pretty drab. lets all have a silly lw party at pat o brians at city walk and share a king sized huricane, maybe start a cover band...
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

sattiva wrote:wait, long winters fans in central fl, really!?! holy cow! i moved down from nyc awhile ago and have found sumter county culture alil dependent on whatever is at the local multiplex, although i did catch elvis costello at the house of blue and im goin there on the 9th for collrctive soul things get pretty drab. lets all have a silly lw party at pat o brians at city walk and share a king sized huricane, maybe start a cover band...

I'm sure we could get the dueling pianists to play a rollicking version of New Girl....
sattiva

Post by sattiva »

c-dog wrote:I'm sure we could get the dueling pianists to play a rollicking version of New Girl....

Mos Def, C/G/F will give them enough to get by, but they must remember to float the G (thats how my lame folk barr cording voicing butt does it). I think it would be more fun to get plastered and make them play nora so we could sing along. But seriously im super tall and will be at the collective soul show this week, so if you want to make friends look for a guy that resembles chewbaca and educate me in the fine art of florida living, cuz i just got a promotion thats going to keep me here for a good long while.
dchris

Post by dchris »

sattiva wrote:...the fine art of florida living...

that phrase makes you my new favorite person in the world.
sattiva

Post by sattiva »

well it is very important to make fun of bealls when ever one gets the chance.