Shhhhh...It's a secret...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

aj

Postby aj » Wed May 19, 2004 6:55 am

1st concert
14 yrs of age
Smashing Pumpkins & Fountains of Wayne
I remember that feeling of "celebrities are mortal?!" It was weird to think that Billy Corgan probably took a dump that day. Just like a real person.

I was from a rural area, so the idea that the people on tv and radio were human was not something I really comprehended. Real people milked cows and wore Wranglers. They weren't musicians that wore man-dresses.

Giant Fork and Spoons could be found at a dollar store also-- the big plastic ones. Or anywhere that sells kitchenish (or kitschenish for that matter) items.

Have fun Jay!

mol

Postby mol » Wed May 19, 2004 8:17 am

Supertramp in Rotterdam, around 1978.
They rocked !

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 19, 2004 10:19 am

aj wrote:1st concert
14 yrs of age

Did they sound as terrible live as they always seemed to on T.V.? I was a huge SP fan. I even have the Aeroplane Flies High box set.

dchris

Postby dchris » Wed May 19, 2004 10:22 am

First concert ever:
July 1988, I believe. Which would make it about a month shy of my eighth birthday. It was Rod Stewart in the then-called Joe Robbie Stadium, now known as Pro Player Park, in not-really-Miami, Florida.

First concert I actually cared about:
May 2000. age 19. Ringo and his All-Starr Band at the Sunrise Musical Theater in not-really-Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I remember that I was very disappointed in the lack of Vertical Man material. Or, the complete disregard for anything recorded after ~1973. Anyway....

I did get a late start, mostly because of not bothering to learn to drive until age 21. I saw the All-Starr band again almost exactly a year later.

aj

Postby aj » Wed May 19, 2004 10:49 am

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:
aj wrote:1st concert
14 yrs of age

Did they sound as terrible live as they always seemed to on T.V.? I was a huge SP fan. I even have the Aeroplane Flies High box set.

well, it was my 1st concert and I was young, so I remember it being pretty good-- but memory is a more than capable trickster. so at this point, who knows. I did see SP (and also Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace and others) again at Sommersault (an outdoor festival in Canadia), but since the drinking age there is 18 (19?), I cannot make a judgment call on the quality of that show either. hey, I was in college. didn't have the worldy knowledge and maturity that I am now known for.

hahaha
*sigh*

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Wed May 19, 2004 11:22 am

My first show was Death Cab/Pedro the Lion at the Crocodile.

heather

Postby heather » Wed May 19, 2004 2:03 pm

I was at that show! That performance of Prove My Hypotheses still sticks out as the best.. The show is one of my favorites..

My first show was a concert, and that concert was NKOTB in 1992 for my 11th birthday. I didn't like it all that much. Yeah, I had a poster of Donnie Wahlburg on the wall by my bed, but I didn't like them all that much. I don't know.. All the screaming definitely made me want to harf everywhere. The next concert I remember going to was Pearl Jam at Memorial Stadium, the summer of 1998. It was pretty fucking great. The NEXT was Dave Matthews Band [NO BACKTALK FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY] for my 18th birfday. It was great, except for the fact that it was at the Aroma Dome so the sound sucked, and my boy at the time had just gotten his wisdom teeth out [but he took me anyway] and there were these girls heaving themselves to and fro next to him so I spent most of the time protecting his nice face. After that there were like 500 million Pedro The Lion shows. The End.

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: the downward spiral

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed May 19, 2004 2:05 pm

stephanie wrote:
Rich, I hope Jay has an equally amazing time even if his first rock show happens to be in Hoboken, NJ

HOBOKEN????
Oooooh, I'm dyin' again!!!
-Bugs Bunny

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 19, 2004 3:01 pm

heather wrote:I was at that show! That performance of Prove My Hypotheses still sticks out as the best.. The show is one of my favorites..

My first show was a concert, and that concert was NKOTB in 1992 for my 11th birthday. I didn't like it all that much. Yeah, I had a poster of Donnie Wahlburg on the wall by my bed, but I didn't like them all that much. I don't know.. All the screaming definitely made me want to harf everywhere. The next concert I remember going to was Pearl Jam at Memorial Stadium, the summer of 1998. It was pretty fucking great. The NEXT was Dave Matthews Band [NO BACKTALK FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY] for my 18th birfday. It was great, except for the fact that it was at the Aroma Dome so the sound sucked, and my boy at the time had just gotten his wisdom teeth out [but he took me anyway] and there were these girls heaving themselves to and fro next to him so I spent most of the time protecting his nice face. After that there were like 500 million Pedro The Lion shows. The End.

Was that Pearl Jam show the one at Key Arena where Zeke and The Wallflowers opened up?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed May 19, 2004 3:35 pm

My first show was 1996 (I think) during Barenaked Ladies "Rock Spectacle" tour, before the single hit. I was 15 and my mom made me go with my sister, cause no one else would go.

reisley

Postby reisley » Wed May 19, 2004 4:53 pm

(sigh) i told myself i wasn't going to join another webboard, but i've been reading this for the past couple of days, so i figured i'd get in on the elite first 500.

my first concert i believe was bush and veruca salt at america west arena in . . . um '95 maybe. it wasn't a defining moment in my adolescence exactly. my first concert could have been tool with some of my cousins, but maybe its better that it wasn't. all i can say is i made it through the mid 90s post grunge alternative radio flowering without identifying too much with any short lived teen anthem band. although spacehog was close . . .oh wait, huh?

anyways, the first concert that i wanted to go see and dragged other people along with too was modest mouse in the summer of 2000 because i had read about them on the paper and they were mentioned on teh same website as jets to brazil (i believe the website was called 'emoland' or something like that in the days before it was simply a pejorative). unfortunately my friend hadn't eaten before the cocnert, so we had to walk all the way to asu which took a surprisingly long time and then found a quicker way back with the public bus system, but managed to briefly get on the wrong side of the driver by lying and saying we were 17 so we could ride free. but my other friend started small talking with the driver about the tribulations of public transit so it was all good. by the time we got back, we missed the two opening bands (who were califone adn the shins if my memory remains true). but modest mouse had already started playing and i was transfixed. neither of my friends were too impressed, and we left early

later that summer sunny day real estate and no knife were coming to town, and i tried to convince my friend to go. i had pretty much given up all hope at eight o'clock while i was listening to real audio clips on cdnow and convincing myself of the greatness i was missing out on, when my friend called me out of the blue and was like "are we still going or what?" we missed half of no knife, but were ready for sdre. i was rocking out to 'pillars' two songs into teh concert when this big old guy with hairy arms and wearing a tank top pushed his way through to where we were standing, along with this really attractive 20 year old blond girl. my friend and i were like 'what the fuck' and my friend says he even stepped on the guys foot. but after they had finished the song, jeremy enigk looked out into the audience and was like "oh, hi dad" to this gruff customer who had pushed his way into where we were standing.

and that my friends, is my jeremy enigk story. the real reason why i wasted so much space responding to this 'first concert' thread. it was pretty much all downhill after that, after the teens and hipsters took over every concert, but for one magic summer . . . i stood next to jeremy enigk's dad without knowing it.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 19, 2004 9:06 pm

Spacehog rocked...until their third album when Steven Tyler became an influence.

Harvey Winters

A few firsts...

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu May 20, 2004 5:17 am

1st show I went to as a teen, and wanted to go to was:
Get ready...
Molly Hatchet, at the Palladium...
The bad boys of Southern Rock...
Uncle Jon again...
I was 13, and someone GAVE me a joint in the hallway...

1st concert I PAID to see:
Stevie Nicks...
If you can hold back the tears duing "Rhiannon"
You have no soul...

1st stadium show:
Genesis at Giants stadium
Paul Young warmed up

dchris

Re: A few firsts...

Postby dchris » Thu May 20, 2004 7:07 am

Harvey Winters wrote:1st show I went to as a teen, and wanted to go to was:
Get ready...
Molly Hatchet, at the Palladium...
The bad boys of Southern Rock...
Uncle Jon again...
I was 13, and someone GAVE me a joint in the hallway...

Which reminds me...

Rich, you'll remember we talked about MH, I think in the EMP.

google confirms- Molly Hatchet is from Jacksonville.

heather

Postby heather » Thu May 20, 2004 10:47 am

heather wrote:I was at that show! That performance of Prove My Hypotheses still sticks out as the best.. The show is one of my favorites..

Was that Pearl Jam show the one at Key Arena where Zeke and The Wallflowers opened up?

Yes. I was there. First night. The concert was going to end, and all you could hear was Hanson blaring from the Key Arena [they were playing the same night] so Eddie Vedder was all "We're gonna play until they're done!" and they DID. It was amazing. I sat in gum. I started a pogo-fest with the people around me.

[It was at Memorial Stadium.. Pearl Jam played the Key Arena the next year or the year after that...]

ps: longtimecoming-i still like super deluxe. 'years ago'.. FUCK! SO GOOD!

SLR

Suicidal

Postby SLR » Thu May 20, 2004 11:01 am

I was 13 and the Suicidal Tendencies came to Anchorage. It would of been 1982-83. They played at at the Fairview Rec Center. I thought I was so punk rock. After the show the lead singer approached me (I was one of five girls in attendance) and asked if I wanted to go to a party after the show. I told him I couldn't because my Mom was going to pick me up at 9:00. Why couldn't I have thought of a more punk rock thing to say? I've been beating myself up over it ever since.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Thu May 20, 2004 11:07 am

heather wrote:

Yes. I was there. First night. The concert was going to end, and all you could hear was Hanson blaring from the Key Arena [they were playing the same night] so Eddie Vedder was all "We're gonna play until they're done!" and they DID. It was amazing. I sat in gum. I started a pogo-fest with the people around me.

[It was at Memorial Stadium.. Pearl Jam played the Key Arena the next year or the year after that...]

ps: longtimecoming-i still like super deluxe. 'years ago'.. FUCK! SO GOOD!

Memorial Stadium, right. Yeah I was at that show too. What was the deal with Wallflowers opening? Weird.
We took the ferry to Bremerton to get home and I remember there were some other teenage guys our age that were there too with their Hanson shirts on. Quite entertaining. And a very good show. I remember being very impressed that Eddie could do that howl in "Evolution" live as well as he did on the record.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Re: Suicidal

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Thu May 20, 2004 11:09 am

SLR wrote:I was 13 and the Suicidal Tendencies came to Anchorage. It would of been 1982-83. They played at at the Fairview Rec Center. I thought I was so punk rock. After the show the lead singer approached me (I was one of five girls in attendance) and asked if I wanted to go to a party after the show. I told him I couldn't because my Mom was going to pick me up at 9:00. Why couldn't I have thought of a more punk rock thing to say? I've been beating myself up over it ever since.

You should have said, "my mom's coming to pick me up at 9:00 and we're going to go protest something governamental and then we're going to shave our heads, get tattoos and burn something".

Harvey Winters

Re: A few firsts...

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu May 20, 2004 12:04 pm

dchris wrote:
Which reminds me...

Rich, you'll remember we talked about MH, I think in the EMP.

google confirms- Molly Hatchet is from Jacksonville.

Really?
Hmmmm...
Musta been that joint...
*Fumbles through vinyl collection*
Last edited by Harvey Winters on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betty Felon

Re: Suicidal

Postby Betty Felon » Thu May 20, 2004 1:23 pm

SLR wrote:I was 13 and the Suicidal Tendencies came to Anchorage. It would of been 1982-83. They played at at the Fairview Rec Center. I thought I was so punk rock. After the show the lead singer approached me (I was one of five girls in attendance) and asked if I wanted to go to a party after the show. I told him I couldn't because my Mom was going to pick me up at 9:00. Why couldn't I have thought of a more punk rock thing to say? I've been beating myself up over it ever since.

hahaha. I feel your pain. Something sorta like this totally happened to me as well. Only I was 15 and it was a Bosstones show at the Vic in Chicago. I was jumping up and down like a nutcase next to some older girls who were jumping up and down in a way I now recognize as "provocactively". I innocently grinned at them in agreement that the show rocked.

Half way through the show the girls told me they had backstage passes and we're going to party with the band and asked me if I wanted to join them. I totally wanted to. But I was a wus. Some older kids from my highschool had driven me to the show and I had no idea where I was ot how to get home, so I just stammered, "I'm with a big group of kids."

I laid awake all night that night mentally kicking myself for that. I still regret it. DICKY!!!!!

Return to “Give Me a Moment”